Reused Password includes password items created by 1Password password generator [Intentional atm]

pawo
pawo
Community Member
edited June 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Whenever I create a new password for a website access this password is stored twice, once in the category Passwords and second in the Logins category for the according website. Both makes sense and is fine for me. However, now since you introduced the new Watchtower I get a reused password warning for basically all my logins, because Watchtower for the a.m. reason finds every password twice. This doesn't make sense, I guess you would agree? pw

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: W10
Sync Type: Family

Comments

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

Trying to illustrate what I mean:

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Today I clicked into the "Reused Passwords" section of Watchtower and saw, that it is complaining that I was reusing passwords that I had generated with the 1Password browser extension before.
    The reason for this is that when you generate a password in the browser extension, a "Password" item is created and after you successfully login, the extension offers to create a login item with username and password. And now you have two 1Password items using the same password. (I hope that description makes sense)

I would think that Watchtower should not throw a warning in this case, especially when the two items have the same creation date and time and are for the same website.

1Password Version: 7.1.567
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Windows 10
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• MikeT
    edited July 2018

Hi @pawo,

Thanks for reporting this.

This is expected but will be improved when 1Password on Windows adds a few improvements; an automatic cleanup function to remove any redundant password items after you create a new Login item with the same website/password combination as the password item. We will also add an extra manual tool to let you clean up old password items that follows the same rule.

Once these are implemented, there will be less redundant password items to flag Logins as reused and the feature will become more intuitive to use.

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

Thank you @MikeT.
    This makes sense. Looking forward to the cleanup function.
    pw

• You're welcome!

• Hi @Manaburner,

Thanks for writing in, I've merged your post into this thread about the same issue, please read my posts, the third above this one. We'll be adding cleanup tools that'll help with this.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Great, thank you @MikeT

• You're welcome!

• jimger
    jimger
    Community Member

Hi, any timeframe on this feature? As now I create unique passwords for many sites and I am really bored of deleting the password generator generated passwords :P

• Hi @jimger,

There is no timeframe on this and it is our policy to not share this information either, it's hard to estimate and rarely ever is it accurate.

• tomschenkenberg
    tomschenkenberg
    Community Member

I understand that this will be solved in future, but I do like to comment on the provided explanation. It states "Watchtower is doing the right thing here", which might be technically correct from a developer standpoint. But I beg you to consider a normal user as well.

For a normal user this behavior is utterly confusing, and defeats the purpose of watchtower. It obfuscates the actual reused passwords, and makes the feature barely usable. The normal user would immediately question if the other reported issues are also false positives, and will distrust the entire thing. This can't be the user experience you are looking for.

This is a technical internal application plumbing issue and I suggest that it should not be labeled as normal or intentional.

Thanks,
    Tom

• MikeT
    edited July 2018

Hi @tomschenkenberg,

Thanks for your feedback, I'll try to avoid that labeling in the future. I've updated my post as well.

• surrealx
    surrealx
    Community Member

This is an issue in the Mac version as well. Please fix.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@surrealx: This topic is about 1Password for Windows, so if you have an issue with Mac, it can be a different one, because automatic cleanup is already implemented in 1Password for Mac.

If you post more details in a new thread in our Mac topic, we will get back to you. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• surrealx
    surrealx
    Community Member

Thanks, Greg. I should have mentioned that I use both versions, and have seen in both. Unfortunately, I went in and hand deleted the overlaps prior to finding this thread. Will post over there as well just in case there is still something that can be looked at.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@surrealx: 1Password 7 for Mac has automatic cleanup tool implemented, so I am surprised to hear you bumped into such issue there. Could you please tell us how do you update your passwords? Thanks!

• mpkossen
    mpkossen
    Community Member

Am I correct to understand that this has not been implemented yet for 1Password 7 for Windows?

• Hi @mpkossen,

That is correct, it is not yet implemented.

This discussion has been closed.