1password 7 update and future of my vault...

Options
annebcn
annebcn
Community Member

Hello, I'm a little bit lost with the last update and need some support ! I bought a 1password 5 single license for my iMac in 2014. It has always been automatically updated. I have now 1password 6.8.9 on the same iMac up to date. But it seems to me that a ver.7 has been released but I don't see this update applied to my software while before it was automatically updated during years. Why ?

I read on your website that "If you purchased a license for 1Password for Mac on or after March 27, 2018, your license also applies to 1Password 7. If you purchased a license before then, you’ll see two options in the app when you upgrade:
Try a 1Password membership free for 30 days, which includes 1Password 7 (I'm not interested in a monthly based payment)
Purchase a license for 1Password 7 for Mac."

What does it mean ? Before my software has been updated with no problem and now do I have to pay something ? Did I loose my license ?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @annebcn! I'm sorry you're feeling a bit lost, and "support" is what we're here for.

But it seems to me that a ver.7 has been released but I don't see this update applied to my software while before it was automatically updated during years. Why ?

Because of what you've already noticed: 1Password 7 for Mac is a new version of 1Password, and it requires the purchase of a new license (or a 1password.com membership) if you want to use the new version. That's why we don't make it available as an in-app update like what you're used to: because it wouldn't be very nice to automatically upgrade people's software to version 7 and THEN tell them it's a paid upgrade.

Before my software has been updated with no problem and now do I have to pay something ? Did I loose my license ?

No, you didn't lose your existing license. The version 5 license you purchased in 2014 has worked for four years straight, all the way through version 6.8.9, and it never expires. You can continue to use it to license any copy of 1Password for Mac version 4, 5 or 6. But version 7 is indeed a new purchase. If you want to use the new version - which we strongly recommend - as the website paragraph you read indicates, you'll need to either purchase an upgraded license for version 7, or become a 1password.com member.

That latter option is the one I'd suggest to you at this point - there are many benefits of switching from a standalone license to a 1password.com account, and one of the best is that it's only $2.99/mo for an individual account (if paid annually). The choice is yours, however. Hope this helps! :)

• annebcn
    annebcn
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your answer. I'm a little bit disappointed. 1password6 was a new release and I didn't have to pay for it.

In your webpage I have problem to find the price of upgraded license for version 7 (https://support.1password.com/upgrade-mac/). I don't want a monthly payment.

Moreover, do you know how long version 6.9.8 is going to be compatible with my iPhone ? I bought the application for my iPhone at the same time and it updates with no additional cost to 7 iOS version. Right now 6.8.9 OS version is compatible with my 7 iOS version. It is important for me to know because I recommend your software to several clients of mine that bought it and I consider myself a little bit responsible for these changes..

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@annebcn

I'm a little bit disappointed. 1password6 was a new release and I didn't have to pay for it.

That's on us, to a large degree -- because of the difficulty of offering a paid upgrade in the Mac App Store, we did not do one there for versions 4, 5 and 6 -- and because we weren't charging for it there, we also didn't charge for version 5 or 6 in our own store. (version 4 was the last paid upgrade in our old AgileBits store). In some ways, that means we may have contribute to "training" some users to expect free upgrades forever, and we definitely have some regrets.

However, just as most people can't afford to work for free, neither can we -- and frankly, even if we could, the work put in to develop, support and document 1Password has a value. Just over 100 people work very hard to bring you the 1Password you know and enjoy, and it was (long past) time we resumed charging appropriately and sustainably for it. I'm sorry our not having done so up until now led you to believe there is no cost to use (or for us, to develop) 1Password.

In your webpage I have problem to find the price of upgraded license for version 7.

Standalone licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac are usually $64.95, but during this launch special, they are available for $49.99. I do not know how much longer the launch special will last, so if you're interested in a license instead of a 1password.com membership, I suggest acting sooner rather than later.

do you know how long version 6.9.8 is going to be compatible with my iPhone ?

I'm not sure I understand the question. 1Password for Mac is, well, for your Mac. In standalone mode, you can sync your data via iCloud or Dropbox or WLAN with 1Password on your iPhone, but that's a function of sync compatibility (which is fine), not whether a Mac version of 1Password is compatible with your iPhone.

It is important for me to know because I recommend your software to several clients of mine that bought it and I consider myself a little bit responsible for these changes..

Thanks for recommending 1Password! :) If you - or your clients - decide to continue upgrading 1Password on one platform (iOS or Mac or any other one) while simultaneously NOT upgrading 1Password on another platform, then yes, eventually the differences will result in incompatibility...but that would typically take quite some time. As a security company, we can't do anything except recommend that people use the latest version of not only 1Password but also of their OS and even hardware. And often, new technologies or features in either hardware or OS emerge that can be taken advantage of in a cross-platform way -- on both iOS and macOS, for example -- which is why development in some ways is parallel. New versions will always work with their corresponding new versions on other platforms. But if you're using (just for example) 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password 7 for iOS, you will definitely have issues there. Hope that helps! :)

• annebcn
    annebcn
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your answer. And yes I think it would have been clever to ask for a small amount of money for each update. Look at the last reviews in the Spanish Apple Store (I'm in Spain so they are written in Spanish). You are downgrading from 5 stars to 1 star. And the reviews are just starting... I'm quite sure that more than 100 people I recommend this application are going to feel the same as me...

Moreover, I'm not sure if as an old client (not talking about special launch) I have a different price to new people buying stand alone license. If not, it sounds unfair.

Could you provide me with the link for purchasing the standalone license (you didn't mention it) because I had some problem to find it.

About the iPhone, I will try to explain myself better (sorry English is not my language) : on my iPhone my 1password updated automatically to version 7. And right now I have version 6.8.9 on My Imac. The synchronisation process is working well between these two versions that are now different. My question is how long will it work ? How will you avert your clients before the drama occurs ? (A lot of people will not detect the lack of upgrade on their mac...) Will you prevent your customers by email before ?

1password has been great and I would love to stay the good way it was !

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@annebcn

And yes I think it would have been clever to ask for a small amount of money for each update.

Maybe so -- but unless you know secrets we don't, changing the past isn't likely to be happening any time soon. :)

Moreover, I'm not sure if as an old client (not talking about special launch) I have a different price to new people buying stand alone license. If not, it sounds unfair.

Unfair? Really? In your first post in this thread, you told us: "I bought a 1password 5 single license for my iMac in 2014." Since you're comfortable discussing that here, I did a little checking, and you're right: you paid $34.99 in 2014 for a license for 1Password 5 for Mac. The retail cost of a license at that time was $49.99, meaning you bought 1Password 5 for Mac at a pretty good discount - 30% off the retail price! Congratulations -- you must have purchased during a sale. :)

Anyway, since the date of your purchase, you've gone just over 3.5 years without needing to make another purchase -- which means your annual cost to use 1Password for Mac. including the free upgrade to version 6 and all the free updates within version 6, comes out to $9.99USD/yr. Can I ask: what do you feel would be a fair annual price in your opinion to use 1Password?

Could you provide me with the link for purchasing the standalone license (you didn't mention it) because I had some problem to find it.

Certainly! Open 1Password 7 for Mac and in the menubar, click 1Password > Purchase 1Password 7.

About the iPhone, I will try to explain myself better (sorry English is not my language)

If you like, I'd be happy to have Pilar or one of our other native Spanish-speakers reply to you directly in Spanish. Just let me know. :)

And right now I have version 6.8.9 on My Imac. The synchronisation process is working well between these two versions that are now different.

Right -- that's because the sync process isn't directly dependent upon what version you have. Both 1Password 7 for iOS and 1Password 6 for Mac can read the sync keychain for Dropbox - OPVault - or the CloudKit format we use for iCloud sync, so there's no incompatibility. With that said, if you continue to update one of the platforms while deliberately keeping the other one on a legacy version, eventually there will be incompatibilities, yes.

My question is how long will it work ?

There is no way for me to specifically answer that question, because there's no way to predict what new technologies will be developed in the underlying OSes (iOS or macOS). Is iCloud itself today capable with a Mac running iCloud in 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)? No. At least, not if you've upgraded to iCloud Drive, which almost everyone has, by now. So if you're using one Mac running High Sierra and another running Snow Leopard, and expecting them to sync iCloud flawlessly, you'll be disappointed. The same is true of 1Password.

How will you avert your clients before the drama occurs ?

As a security company, we always recommend our users update as quickly as possible to the latest version of not just 1Password, but the underlying OS on which it runs as well, to take advantage of the most up-to-date security developments. If you're asking whether we send out emails to all users, informing them that IF they are using a very old version of macOS or iOS or 1Password, they should update? No. We don't do that, partly because we don't even have the email addresses of a significant percentage of our users: if you purchase exclusively from the Apple App Stores, we don't even know you're a customer.

1password has been great and I would love to stay the good way it was !

We'd love to continue to have you as a customer, as well! Let us know if you have any further questions. :)

• annebcn
    annebcn
    Community Member
    Options

Well it looks like you english is not enough good to express myself.... Sorry. What I feel unfair is that during 4 years the price of 1password was 10$ a year and now it is not at all. You changed drastically.

I succeed in seeing the 50 euros options (hard to find... on the contrary the monthly subscription is so easy to find). But it looks that 1 password 7 is unable to import my Agile keychain File (in dropbox) because it says it needs to be upgraded to op vault format and if I click on "more information" I have a support webpage with a quite complex process to proceed...

Personally between the price and the complexity of upgrading to 7 OS version I have to think if I want to move to the free iCloud Keychain or continue to use 1 password....

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@annebcn - well, as I said in my earlier post, some of the fault for setting false expectations in our customers lies with us. We always intended to follow standard software industry practice of including free updates within a major version (like from 3.5 to 3.6, etc), while charging users for full-version upgrades (like from 4.6 to 5.0), etc. That's (still) the dominant model of software sales. The other one, that's gaining popularity, is the subscription model -- and with 1Password 7, we offer both, so you can take your choice.

One of the reasons 1Password is priced higher than some of the other password management options available is that the cost to use 1Password is all up front -- the price you pay reflects the entire cost of supporting, developing, designing the app. We've never taken venture capital funding and we don't have a large corporate parent company with deep pockets that can subsidize us. We've remained a (relatively) small, independent software designer, and beholden to no one except our users. We're big believers in the idea that when it comes to digital products, if you're not the customer (in other words: paying for what you get), you're the product. The other ways we could support the work we do would be to either sell ads/surveys/etc and force you to click through them, or monetize your data by selling it. As a company dedicated to security and privacy, we're not willing to do either one of those things. And many of our customers have told us the data they store within 1Password is too valuable and sensitive to them to risk potentially malware-laden ads or knowing their data was being monetized and sold. They say they like knowing the price they pay for 1Password means we answer only to them, and to our own ideas of what good security means.

it looks that 1 password 7 is unable to import my Agile keychain File (in dropbox) because it says it needs to be upgraded to op vault format and if I click on "more information" I have a support webpage with a quite complex process to proceed...

I can help you with that. Were you previously using 1Password 6 for Mac on this Mac? Or is there no 1Password data at all on this Mac except for the Agile Keychain in Dropbox?

This discussion has been closed.