Chromium 67: stuck at "1Password is ready to go!" page

In an attempt to fix the issue with "Error: Incorrect Version value has been sent." I've tried removing 1Password X from my Chromium 67.0.3396.62 (running on Ubuntu 16.04) and reinstalling it back.

I first installed the beta release (1.8.4), and at first it looked OK: I entered the credentials and saw the welcome page. But then upon clicking the 1Password icon in the toolbar instead of opening the drop-down menu it opened a tab with the same welcome page. Restarting Chromium only moves me back to "Log in to 1Password state" and then it behaves the same: no drop-down menu, only welcome page is shown.

I then removed the beta release and installed the usual one (1.7.3) only to find out that it would behave the same.

I still can log in to the vault via Web UI and use the passwords from there. 1Password extension even detects the log in and asks if I should add the account, to which I answer yes, but with the same result. Basically, I can no longer use autocompletion or password generation features.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot and fix this?


1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.7.3
OS Version: Ubuntu 16.04
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

  • FWIW, there are no apparent errors on the "background" page from the extensions description.

  • daltondalton

    Team Member

    Welcome to the forum, @immerrr! Thanks for reaching out to us about this. It's certainly odd that 1Password X can't seem to get out of this sign in loop. It almost sounds like it's not able to complete the initial setup/sync for some reason. If this is the case, I'm a bit surprised that there's nothing useful in the background page.

    In order to help isolate the issue, would you be willing to try and install 1Password X in a fresh profile? Google has a guide that will walk you through the process if you need:

    https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2364824

    Let me know how it goes.

  • Hi DaltonD,

    Just checked with a fresh profile and freshly installed 1Password X Beta, same behaviour:

    How can I help you to investigate it further?

    Cheers.

  • Sorry, missed the "@" mark when trying to mention @DaltonD in the message above.

  • dtearedteare Agile Founder

    Team Member

    Huh, this is very odd, @immerr. At first glance I'm not sure what's happening here. 🤔

    By the looks of things from the network panel (thank you for that, btw!), 1Password X is able to successfully authenticate with the server and then it starts the process of downloading your items. If I had to guess I'd say there was a problem writing to the database in Chrome, but you mentioned earlier that there were no errors in the background page, so this seems unlikely.

    Can you check to see if your database is being created, if there are tables there, and if there are items in any of them? You can find your databases under the Application tab in that same window you posted above. It should look something like this:

    Also, in addition to the Console log in the background page, could you check your system logs to see if there's anything being reported there by Chromium?

    This remains a mystery – but that's the fun part, right? 🙂Looking forward to what you find. Pinging @beyer here as well as he loves a good mystery as well.

  • @dteare DB tables are there but empty. I tried removing it with "Clear storage" and it appears that the extension is not prepared to handle that situation and started failing with this traceback: https://gist.github.com/immerrr/d71f515fd4dd9b39543369bb511afd7f#file-trace-after-cleaning-local-db. I reinstalled it and the database was added back, so it appears that the databases are initialized upon installing the extension and clearing storage is not the way to go.

    And then I realized the "Collect Errors" checkbox was unchecked. I enabled it and started seeing errors in Console.

    One was weird, but didn't look much of a problem reporting a failure when adding a few items with duplicate IDs (https://gist.github.com/immerrr/d71f515fd4dd9b39543369bb511afd7f#file-trace-at-opening-background-app).

    The "Uncaught DOMException" in e.onabort @ background.js:1 (https://gist.github.com/immerrr/d71f515fd4dd9b39543369bb511afd7f#file-first-error-after-pressing-log-in-button) was not very informative but looked interesting. I tried setting a breakpoint on it and catched the actual error: it was "QuotaExceededError". Which is weird I though to myself because the database is empty. Then I found a snippet on the internet to check available quota:

    if ('storage' in navigator && 'estimate' in navigator.storage) {
      navigator.storage.estimate().then(({usage, quota}) => {
        console.log(`Using ${usage} out of ${quota} bytes.`);
      });
    }
    

    And it returned Using 3396 out of 3396 bytes. So this looks like the problem. I wonder if I can increase the quota somehow as the user.

    There's another exception afterwards (https://gist.github.com/immerrr/d71f515fd4dd9b39543369bb511afd7f#file-ultimate-error), but it's probably caused by this one too.

  • I wonder if I can increase the quota somehow as the user.

    Aha! I had only 60Mb free on my /home partition, cleaned some stuff up and now it shows a much healthier Using 455648 out of 1687589406 bytes.

  • dtearedteare Agile Founder

    Team Member

    Oh great! I'm glad to hear you found the issue, @immerrr. Thanks for sharing the solution to this mystery. 😘

    It looks like we have some work to do on our error handling in this situation.

    ++dave;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file