1Password 7 upgrade from 6 — continuous prompting

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Cannot stop 1Password 7 auto update over and over.

Comments

• buenoeguimaraes
    buenoeguimaraes
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. Version 6.8.534 does not automatically upgrade to version 7, but presents intrusive and repetitive warnings about this update that even after skipped, reappear a few minutes later. If possible, change the update check engine so that you do not automatically notify new major versions, only minor upgrades within 6, since a new purchase is required for 7. By the way, I downloaded this version directly from the agilebits website.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@buenoeguimaraes and others,

There is pair of options in the Updates tab of 1Password Preferences, which let you control how updates work. Like this:

That has helped me to stop being bothered about upgrading to version 7 while I was running version 6 under my membership. I've since upgraded, so i've checked the box to be notified of updates, but left off automatic installation.

• Ben
    Options

@buenoeguimaraes

I’m sorry for the confusion, but if you’re using 1Password 6 for Windows that would indicate you have a 1Password membership... Upgrades are included with membership. You should definitely upgrade to v7. It doesn’t cost anything extra in this case.

Ben

• buenoeguimaraes
    buenoeguimaraes
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your response @hawkmoth. It's exactly something like this I'm looking for, but I believe that in version 6.8.534 this is no longer available as shown below.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@buenoeguimaraes =- Sorry, I didn't pick up that you are using Windows, since you posted in the Mac section of the forum. I should have looked more carefully at your screenshots. Anyway, @Ben's insight into what you're seeing is more relevant anyway, I suspect.

• buenoeguimaraes
    buenoeguimaraes
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @ben. Yes, this problem is occurring in 1password for Windows. I acquired a bundle license on 05/25/2015 but I do not have paid membership, only this standalone license.

• buenoeguimaraes
    buenoeguimaraes
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry @hawkmoth, I came to the topic through the Google search and did not realize that the forum was divided by OS, my fault.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@buenoeguimaraes: No need to apologize. However, licenses for 1Password or Windows version 6 do not exist. If you purchased Both the Windows and Mac apps in 2015, you'll have a license key for 1Password 4. You can download that directly from your license email if you wish to continue using the version you paid for, or pay to upgrade to the latest version. We won't be removing update notifications for that version because it's not only no longer under development, but it's not supported for use without a 1Password.com membership at all, and, as Ben mentioned, the latest version is included with that. So you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. Either way, let me know if you have any questions.

• buenoeguimaraes
    buenoeguimaraes
    Community Member
    Options

I found a way to stop the program from bothering with these update notifications. Just block the outgoing connections using Windows Firewall or Little Snitch on the Mac. As most likely you, like me, do not plan to use any 1Password online service, you will not have a problem with this.

• buenoeguimaraes
    buenoeguimaraes
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Since I purchased the license, I did not need to contact your support team until today, but I confess that I found the experience somewhat confusing and hostile. It's funny you say there is no license since I'm looking at it. Obviously, I will not enter my license number here in the forum, but the purchase order number is 11845272 from 05/25/2015, if you want to check it out. Regardless of this, the costumer service did not solve my problem, just tried to make me buy (again) a license of the program, so it is not even worth the time that I am spending to answer this question, that I only do into consideration people who are going through the same irritating problem. About 1Password.com membership, which charges practically the price of a previous lifetime license for only 1 year of service and offers pretty much the same basic features as previous versions with the small exception of not having to manage license and wallet synchronization with the Dropbox and some visual improve, the cost benefit have been weighed, have been measured and have been found wanting. So, thanks for the first and last sad costumer service.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

Since I purchased the license, I did not need to contact your support team until today, but I confess that I found the experience somewhat confusing and hostile. It's funny you say there is no license since I'm looking at it. Obviously, I will not enter my license number here in the forum, but the purchase order number is 11845272 from 05/25/2015, if you want to check it out.

@buenoeguimaraes: 1Password 6 did not exist for any platform in 2015, and we have never sold licenses at all for 1Password for Windows version 6, so whatever you think you have, it is something other than that. No one has a license for that. That's why it's read-only for local vaults: they only work for importing.

Regardless of this, the costumer service did not solve my problem, just tried to make me buy (again) a license of the program, so it is not even worth the time that I am spending to answer this question, that I only do into consideration people who are going through the same irritating problem.

Sorry, but we can't solve this problem for you. You're trying to use something you haven't paid for, and then complaining when we suggest that you pay for it if you want to use it. We can't stop you from pirating our software, but to be irritated that we didn't assist you in doing so is a bit absurd.

About 1Password.com membership, which charges practically the price of a previous lifetime license for only 1 year of service and offers pretty much the same basic features as previous versions with the small exception of not having to manage license and wallet synchronization with the Dropbox and some visual improve, the cost benefit have been weighed, have been measured and have been found wanting. So, thanks for the first and last sad costumer service.

Okay, but I'm not going to thank you for your rude comments! :lol: In all seriousness though, a 1Password.com membership includes not only access to all of the apps, but also automatic offsite backup and item history, Travel Mode, and secure document storage. So, not quite the same thing. But if you're already happy using what you've already paid for, that's fine too.

I found a way to stop the program from bothering with these update notifications. Just block the outgoing connections using Windows Firewall or Little Snitch on the Mac. As most likely you, like me, do not plan to use any 1Password online service, you will not have a problem with this.

Indeed, a lot of people do things like that to avoid paying for software. I've resent your license information — for 1Password for Mac version 6 and 1Password for Windows version 4 — via email. I'd encourage you to use those at least if you're not going to update, as that's what you've purchased. Take care.

This discussion has been closed.