Remember settings for password generator

Good day.
I would love to be able the password generator to remember the last settings I used (by clicking a "save settings" button). I like to always have symbols in my passwords, and make them 40 characters.
Could you make this happen?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Welcome to the forum, @Albeneth! We've actually added this ability to the latest beta version. You can download the beta from the Chrome Web Store if you're interested in trying it out:

1Password X Beta

Let me know how it goes if you give the beta a shot. 🙂

• Albeneth
    Albeneth
    Community Member

Seems to be working pretty well. Thanks!

• Sweet! I'm happy that you're happy with what you found in the beta, and I'm happy to have you in our beta family. 🙂

I honestly forgot that this feature was only in the beta at the moment. We need to ship this to the official channel soon! 🚢

• brianleejackson
    brianleejackson
    Community Member

I downloaded the beta hoping this would solve my issue but it didn't. It's very frustrating... The "suggested password" in a text field doesn't follow the same settings that I have set in the Chrome extension. No matter what I change it never uses symbols when auto-suggesting in a field. Any tips?

I see some previous threads regarding the main settings menu, not even savings settings. So perhaps this now works in settings, but not yet in the field auto-suggest. Hopefully, we can get these synced up.

Thanks, keep up the great work.

P.S. Migrated to 1Password from LastPass about 3 months ago (previously 6-year LastPass member) and I have to admit I've loved every second. You guys are in it to win it!

• Hey @brianleejackson. Thanks for giving 1Password X a shot! We're really proud of the work we've done in such a short time. To put things in perspective, 1Password X was an internal project with very few feature only a year ago — Dave was the only full time user, and there wasn't any password generator to begin with! :)

The latest beta does remember settings for the password generator, but that's referring to the one in the 1Password pop-up. That is, if you click the 1Password button in the toolbar, choose Password Generator, and play with the sliders and toggles, you'll see the same settings when you next open the pop-up, even after you quit the browser. This was our most popular request when it comes to the password generator, so we addressed it first.

The "suggested password" feature that you see on the page is a little different, and we'll approach it differently. It uses machine learning and data from the page to determine what kind of password to generate based on the page requirements. The suggestions aren't too smart yet, but we have plans to improve them; for example, if 1Password detects that the field doesn't support certain symbols, it won't suggest them.

Of course, even now you can ignore the suggested password and open the pop-up to generate a password with your saved settings. That option will always offer the most customizability and control. But I acknowledge that it's less convenient than the on-page menu. We're considering adding an additional option to the on-page menu: "Generate using last settings". It would only appear if you have used the password generator in the pop-up, and it would respect your settings and not adjust the password based on the current page. I think these two options would provide the best balance of simplicity and control.

-Mitch

• protozzx0
    protozzx0
    Community Member

@Mitch That seems like a great addition to 1Password X (both the machine learning for password requirements as your own password preferences)! Thanks :-)

• Agreed, @yokk! 🙂

• ptr727
    ptr727
    Community Member

Since different sites have different requirements, can you add profiles, where each profile can have options like symbols, no symbols, lengths, etc.
    E.g. my bank requires symbols, my trading account no symbols, social security symbols, another trading account takes 20 char passwords but cuts them at 16 without warning, and then fails when entering 20 instead of 16.
    E.g. as an implementation, rather than list just one password, list a couple to pick from (or figure out from the site what the requirements are for me).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ptr727: Oh, I've definitely run into issues like that. Nightmare. :scream:

It's an interesting idea, but that would quickly become a nightmare. There is so much variation between websites "password requirements" that we'd all quickly have a bunch of different presets cluttering 1Password when we tried to use it. I think Mitch is onto something with this new-fangled machine learning dealie. Let's see where it goes. ;)

• ptr727
    ptr727
    Community Member

If a user ads too many in the list it could get ugly, but with just one choice it is probably wrong >0% of the time.
    If not a set of options, then move the settings into the dialog that is shown, so I can change settings on the fly.

"new-fangled machine learning dealie" is only a solution if it works, ML and AI is no magic bullet, just imagine how you'd go about training for an infinitely large set of sites that you have or have not seen. Oh, and then there is legal, PII, GDPR, and all the other real-world obstacles to using ML in production on sensitive information.

Even if the AI exists, and it is mostly right, there still needs to be an override when it was wrong, which comes back to allowing settings to be change on the fly as a reasonable alternative.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ptr727: I think you're misunderstanding. These are public websites, not sensitive information. There are no privacy or security implications in having 1Password try to determine password requirements by reading the page. After all, it's reading the page anyway to try to save and fill the credentials.

Anyway, we've had good success so far, and it's only going to get better. Not sure it will obviate the need for user interaction when generating passwords completely, but a little can go a long way. If you have to manually tweak password settings less often, isn't that a win? :)

• ptr727
    ptr727
    Community Member

Ok, fixing it either way will make it more useful.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• felixfbecker
    felixfbecker
    Community Member

I also find it very annoying that the "Use suggested password" feature doesn't use the same settings as the password generator in the 1Password X dialog. I have no idea where it gets its settings from, but the "Use suggested password" always suggests passwords with settings (length, symbols etc) that don't match the full-featured one in the dialog. I would expect them to use the same settings.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@felixfbecker: They're two completely different features: Suggested Passwords uses sane defaults that are both secure and compatible with most sites, and the Password Generator will allow you to customize the type of password generated. You will also find that it retains your settings there between uses.

This discussion has been closed.