To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Password on 1Password.com/signin not accepted

Options
rcrabb22
rcrabb22
Community Member

I know the Master Password and am able to launch 1Password on my Mac. I tried the 30 day free membership last year (July, 2017) but decided to use my local licensed version of 1Password and the trial expired and my online account was disabled. I am now adding a Windows 10 machine and would like to install 1Password on it as well. I bought the personal membership yesterday and would like use 1Password on the Windows 10 computer. My problem is I cannot log in to 1Password.com. I have the secret key from the emergency kit when I did the trial last year. When I try to login using my current local Master Password I get an error telling my credentials are incorrect. I have a saved password in my local vault for 1Password.com and I tried that one with no luck. I verified my email account using the 1Password "find my account" link on the login page. It appears I need my password on 1Password.com reset. Can someone do that for me?

1Password Version: 7.04
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rcrabb22
    rcrabb22
    Community Member
    Options

Based on zero replies, there is nothing can be done for this issue? I have been trying to get ANY support from Agilebits since yesterday. I could some help please.

Thanks
    Ron

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @rcrabb22 if the folks at AgileBits could reset your master password, that would defeat their security model. AB can't see your data and cannot reset your master password.
    They can reset the whole account only, which means however that every bit of data currently in it, will be lost.
    If that's OK with you, you could email support@1password.com from the email address that you used for your account, and ask them to start over with your account

• rcrabb22
    rcrabb22
    Community Member
    Options

This may be a problem with semantics or I do not understand. I can open the local copy of my vault with the master password on my Mac. I cannot log in to www.1Password.com with that same master password. Is the master password on my local vault supposed to be the same as www.1Password.com? If so, how do I sync them up?

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

No, they do not sync passwords in any way. You may choose to have the same password on both, your local vault and your 1Password.com vault, but they are not the same by default.

• rcrabb22
    rcrabb22
    Community Member
    Options

This may be a problem with semantics or I do not understand. I can open the local copy of my vault with the master password on my Mac. I cannot log in to www.1Password.com with that same master password. Is the master password on my local vault supposed to be the same as www.1Password.com? If so, how do I sync them up?

• rcrabb22
    rcrabb22
    Community Member
    Options

I guess the solution is to have the 1Password admin reset my online account. Then I can reestablish it by uploading the the local vault to the online vault. Is there an 1Password admin monitoring this banter?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Is there an 1Password admin monitoring this banter?

They will get to you, but the work from oldest to newst posts to get to users in the order of their requests. They are much busier these days with the release of 1Password 7 for both Windows and Mac, so it is taking longer than usual to get to each request.

In the meantime, patience will be your friend.. Each time you add a post to your thread, the forum software treats the whole thread as new, and since the staff work from oldest to nest post, each time you post to ask if anyone is monitoring the forum, you return to the end of the line.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @rcrabb22! I'm sorry for the trouble. If you have a 1password.com account that you created a while back and was in Frozen status for some time, you may not recall the password. That's part of why we suggest people print out (or otherwise securely save the PDF of) their Emergency Kit -- and write or type their Master Password on it as well; for just such emergencies. On the other hand, if at the time, you didn't think you'd ever be using it again, then why would you save it?

Unfortunately, if you lose or forget either your Master Password or your Secret Key, then yes, you'll need to delete your existing account and start over. However, in your case, you say in your first post "I bought the personal membership yesterday." To do that, you would have needed to be able to access the account in question. Can I ask: how did you do that? On what device? It sounds as if you may have kept your frozen 1password.com account signed in within 1Password for Mac? Is that the case? Can you go to Preferences > Vaults in 1Password for Mac and let me know what vaults you see there?

The issue here is that if you were an existing user of 1Password in standalone mode, you had a Master Password you were using. When you signed up for 1password.com you would have needed another Master Password (since this is not the same as your local, standalone data). You could have used the same Master Password you were using on your standalone data, but there would have been nothing stopping you from choosing a completely different Master Password. That's the Master Password you're going to need (and without which, your account will be inaccessible). If you can't remember it, it may be possible you saved it in your local 1Password data, if you generated it from within 1Password? Have you tried every Master Password you can remember having used, when trying to sign into your account in a browser? You may also want to search 1Password for Mac for 1password.com which would be the URL domain for any generated password. Let me know if you have any success.

• rcrabb22
    rcrabb22
    Community Member
    Options

Lars,
    Thanks for your time to help me. You wrote:

Unfortunately, if you lose or forget either your Master Password or your Secret Key, then yes, you'll need to delete your existing account and start over. However, in your case, you say in your first post "I bought the personal membership yesterday." To do that, you would have needed to be able to access the account in question. Can I ask: how did you do that? On what device? It sounds as if you may have kept your frozen 1password.com account signed in within 1Password for Mac? Is that the case? Can you go to Preferences > Vaults in 1Password for Mac and let me know what vaults you see there?

On my Mac I am able to use 1Password with a master password and during the membership purchase process I was able to update my version of 1Password from 1Password6 to 1Password7. I lauched 1Password and did as you suggested in the preferences area. I see

Always open to drop box, Primary

In the Show all Vaults section I see a tree entry

Ron Crabb
    Personal

both unchecked and below that

Primary

that is checked

Vault for Saving drop box has choice of

Primary

the Primary is listed as on my Mac

I have a password item in my local vault for my.1password.com and I have copied/pasted that password on the website authentication page along with my email address and the secret key with no luck. I have that emergency PDF but I did not record my master password.

Could I reset my online version of 1Password then import the local vault to my 1Password account located on your servers?

My other thought would be to cancel this new membership I purchased yesterday and purchase a new membership account using a different email address. Would I be able to import my local vault to that new account?

Thanks,
    Ron

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rcrabb22 - you're quite welcome, happy to help. :)

So it sounds as if you have both your standalone ("Primary") data as well as your 1password.com account data ("Personal"). If you have tried to search both your memory and your hard drive for the Master Password to your "Ron Crabb" account without success, then the question becomes: how many items do you have in each vault in 1Password 7 for Mac, and are the two vaults (mostly) duplicates of one another? I ask because if you are certain that ALL of the data you need exists in an up-to-date form in your local ("Primary") vault, then we can simply send out a deletion request email to you, you can follow its simple instructions to delete your existing account, and then use your same email address to create a new one.

If you've been updating/creating new items in your 1password.com account ("Ron Crabb"), then we'll need instead to have you create a second LOCAL vault, transfer everything over from your Personal vault in your 1password.com account into this new vault, and THEN go through the deletion process. Once you've got a new account set up, you can go through the process of reconciling duplicates, etc, and getting everything transferred to the new account's Personal vault, and finally deleting the no-longer-needed local vaults. Let me know!

• rcrabb22
    rcrabb22
    Community Member
    Options

I feel very confident my local vault is up to date. I would like to move forward with the deletion and re-creation of my 1Password online account. I will back up everything before proceeding. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rcrabb22 - OK, let's go! Here's what to do: please send an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/444415#Comment_444415
    • Your forum username: @rcrabb22
    • A statement that you want to delete your account

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your deletion request email in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the email and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

We'll continue the conversation from there via email. Thanks very much!

• rcrabb22
    rcrabb22
    Community Member
    Options

I have received the response. The support id is #EQY-79489-126

Thanks for your help!
    Ron

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rcrabb22 - thanks, Ron! Replied.