Why must I have iCloud Drive turned on, isn't iCloud enough?

Options
blackxacto
blackxacto
Community Member

On my iPhone SE, I do not want to buy extra storage in iCloud Drive. Why isn't using iCloud storage enough for 1Password?

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: 4.6.9
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Why is opening iCloud w 1P insufficient, and I must open iCloud Drive?

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hey there @blackxacto :)
    Apologies if I'm incorrect about this, but ICloud Drive is your iCloud storage, it uses your iCloud storage. It's just another name for it. You're not buying extra storage specifically for iCloud Drive. You are buying more iCloud storage which Drive then uses.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

What is the significance of calling it two names? I was aware of the 5gb storage allowed 'in iCloud', but I just don't understand why call it "iCloud Drive"?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Ask Apple, I don't know why they make naming decisions. iCloud Drive refers to the storage space that you have to place any files you please. iCloud itself is the service that only Apple devices themselves have access to.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Originally, you didn't have access to the remaining space in your iCloud storage to place files or whatever you'd like. You could only use it for backups and the like When Apple added that functionality, they called it iCloud Drive.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Hah, sorry I must sound slow. Appreciate you quick responses. I guess that makes sense. Wierd, I f I turn on and use the iCloud, turning on iCloud Drive seems to be a duplicate of what I just did.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

No worries, sometimes companies name things strangely and it can absolutely be confusing to people. :)

Is everything working now?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, 1Password works fine on the new SE. Thank you for your time.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Great to hear. If you run into any more issues, I'm always happy to help. :)

• iCloud Drive is part of iCloud. It uses the same pool of storage space as the rest of your iCloud account. We don't actually use iCloud Drive itself for 1Password, but the technology that we do use (CloudKit) is only enabled for your iCloud account when you enable iCloud Drive.

Sorry for any confusion. Similar terms for different but related things. As Corey mentioned these are Apple's terms, and we're using them in the context that they provide for.

Thanks!

Ben

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, it finally hit me that iCloud and iCloud Complete would have helped my confusion. Thanks. But I'm not an editor.

• :+1: :)

Ben

• doug_mcconnell
    doug_mcconnell
    Community Member
    Options

So here's a weird thing. I've been using 1Password for a couple years with just 'iCloud'. I have never upgraded to iCloud Drive (it's not turned on in my Apple System Preferences -> iCloud). Sync worked great until just now. Now support is telling me I always needed iCloud drive, which obviously isn't true. Did something change recently?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

I believe the test 1P requires iCloud Drive if you sync by iCloud. W v7, I sync 1P w 1P only. I think I have that right?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

That should read: I believe that the latest 1P version requires . . .

• Ben
    Options

There haven’t been any recent changes to iCloud support in 1Password. Since 2014 / 1Password v5 we’ve used CloudKit to sync with iCloud, and that has required iCloud Drive. If you haven’t had iCloud Drive turned on I don’t understand how you could’ve possibly been syncing 1Password data via iCloud, particularly with iOS. The only thing I can think, and only if you weren’t syncing with iOS, is that you’ve actually been using Folder Sync (not iCloud sync) and have been storing the resulting sync file in iCloud. But that wouldn’t apply if you’re using iOS.

Ben

• btownguy
    btownguy
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with OP that Apple's approach to naming things when it comes to iCloud is a bit unintuitive. When you go into iCloud, at the top you see all of the basic first-party Apple apps that can use iCloud to sync data. Think things like iCloud Photo Library, Calendars, Contacts, Notes, Reminders, etc. None of those things require "iCloud Drive". When you turn on iCloud Drive, things get a little...weird.

What a normal person might think would happen when you turn on iCloud Drive is that you just get a big empty drive with enough free space where you can save files and create folders.

That does happen - you do get a drive where you can save files, create folders, etc. But you'll also notice that you'll see on/off sliders for many third-party apps that you have installed on your iOS device. These are the apps that you have installed that can use Apple's "CloudKit" to store and sync data. If you turn on any or all of these you won't necessarily "see" anything in your drive where the folders and files are stored. Rather, these apps have their own little databases in iCloud that they use to store and sync data.

From what I can tell, there's really no standard to know what the apps are actually storing up there so for me, I don't turn any of them on unless I have a known specific need for the app to use CloudKit. One example for me is backup of my Microsoft Authenticator 2FA tokens. Another example might be to enable 1Password sync for Apple devices if you're not on a 1Password.com subscription (which I do recommend and no, I don't work for 1Password). One outstanding question for me is how much data these CloudKit-enabled apps are using in iCloud. I suspect it's a minimal amount compared to things like iCloud Photo Library and files and folders.

• Ben
    Options

While iCloud Drive and CloudKit serve different purposes and are functionally quite different one toggle in the iCloud settings (which is labeled “iCloud Drive”) enables or disables both of them. Generally iCloud Drive is used for storing files, whereas CloudKit is for storing databases.

You can see how much storage space in iCloud 1Password is using in Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Manage Storage (iOS).

I hope that helps!

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

If it helps, iCloud is for iOS 7 and below and iCloud Drive is for iOS 8 and above. Enabling iCloud Drive (iOS 8+) will prevent iOS 7 and earlier devices from ever seeing data backed up to iCloud.

• Ben
    Options

:+1:

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben,

I forgot to add : If it helps, iCloud is for iOS 7 and below and iCloud Drive is for iOS 8 and above. Enabling iCloud Drive (iOS 8+) will prevent iOS 7 and earlier devices from ever seeing data backed up to iCloud on the same AppleID.

iCloud Drive was introduced with the iPhone 6 models with iOS 8 and Yosemite for the Mac.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, @wkleem.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.