New MacBook, need to install 1Password but have agilekeychain file format

Options
lmclza
lmclza
Community Member

Hi,

I am a longterm user of 1Password(using a family license), syncing via Dropbox but never changed my file format from agilekeychain. I have a brand new MacBook, so I downloaded 1Password 7 from your website (I've never used the Mac App Store for 1P), and installed it. On opening, I'm prompted to choose a sync option, choose dropbox, and then I am stuck. Clearly it wants a .opvault that I don't have.
Should I install an older version, sync to my dropbox agilekeychain file, and then do the upgrade to 1 Password 7?
Do I need to change the dropbox file first?

I also use 1Password on my iPad and iPhone, do I need too change something on these also?

I'm desperate to get this sorted!

Cheers
Lauren

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• FiberNut
    FiberNut
    Community Member
    Options

I had same issue. What's supposed to happen is simply not happening for some users, including me.
    The "supposed to" part has 3 possible outcomes:
    The running of 7 is supposed to acknowledge that that file is not in opvault format and offer to do 1-time conversion. It either does this conversion, and:

• writes that new opvault file up into the same location as where your agilekeychain file is currently living - in this case, your Dropbox 1Password folder--and also renames the old file to legacyagilekeychain after its done

or

• writes that new opvault file up into the same location as where your agilekeychain file is currently living- in this case, your Dropbox 1Password folder-- but crashes in midst of populating or completing the creation of that new file. The new file is left in empty state--has no data in it-- the operation still successfully renames the old file to legacyagilekeychain however.

Below is what I ended up doing and it worked perfectly. I came on here this AM to actually create a separate post in case others would benefit.

1. Open prior version 1Password 6. [If you already removed it, thats ok reinstall it, and point it to your agilekeychain file in Dropbox]
    2. Go to 1Password menu and do a File>Export> export to 1PIF file format. Choose to save it to your Mac somewhere- folder on Desktop or in Documents, for example
    3. Close 1Password 6. Make sure any 1Password 6 processes are quit (can do this via Activity Monitor) You can even uninstall 6 now, which I do recommend (drag the app to the Trash)
    4. Open 1Password 7. Login to your new 1password.com account. (The default "Personal" vault will be empty.)
    5. Go to 1Password menu and do File>Import, navigate to the 1PIF file you created. It will import everything that used to be in that agilekeychain file.
    6. DELETE!! that 1PIF file now- as it is cleartext format which anyone can read all your secrets/personal stuff/passwords.

At this point you are now "syncing" your 1Password data (encrypted of course) with the 1Password.com data storage itself (no need for Dropbox anymore). Now doing Setup of 1Password on addl devices (Android, iPhone, iPad, etc) once you sign in and enter your personal Key, will also be looking at that same new OPVault file up on 1Password.com

It really is a fanastic program (the new version), so I felt the above (not a lot of work per se) was well worth it.

I just wonder if the conversion of the agilekeychain file fails due to the file sitting up in Dropbox...like somehow the program knows its a file that's "in-use" (due to Dropbox sync constantly "looking" at it), and that is what causes the app to crash during conversion?? No idea.
    The test of that of course would be to copy that file from Dropbox down locally to the Mac, and then do complete Reset of 1Password 7, restart the Mac, and attempt the conversion again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @lmclza!

If you have data in 1Password 6 for Mac (or 5 or even 4) on your Mac, 1Password 7 for Mac will import it directly into its database, without using the Dropbox sync keychain at all.

Of course, if you purchased a brand new Mac, then you won't have had any 1Password data on it previously because it's new. Downloading and installing Dropbox will give you the sync keychain(s), but as you've noticed, we have retired the Agile Keychain format in 1Password 7. It was great in its day, but its successor, OPVault, has been available for about four years now in 1Password for Mac, and it was time to fully retire Agile Keychain.

But you've got a relatively easy way to accomplish the same thing as the auto-import that would've happened if there had been previous 1Password data on this Mac. No need to install version 6; here's what to do:

1. At the Welcome screen of 1Password 7 for Mac, choose "More Options" and then "Create Standalone Vault." (you'll need to have version 7 from our downloads page instead of the Mac App Store to get this option).
    2. Click File > Import and you'll see this screen:
    3. Select the top option, "1Password Keychain." This option is specifically for older Agile Keychains.
    4. In the pop-up menu that appears for file selection, navigate to your Dropbox folder and choose your Agile Keychain, then click "Open."

This should get your data imported. You'll then need to visit Preferences > Sync and turn ON Dropbox syncing for the vault, which will cause an OPVault to be written out. Make sure you update the syncing of any other devices (iOS, Android, other Macs) to use this new OPVault.

That should take care of everything, but let me know if you hit any snags. Cheers! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@FiberNut - thanks for taking the time to write out such a detailed post. Since you clearly seem to be interested in the nitty gritty of this, let me reply with a similar in-depth post.

There is indeed a small percentage of users for whom the Agile Keychain conversion isn't working -- this is mostly due to malformed or corrupted data/references in the Agile Keychain, often with attachments. We're sorry for the trouble, and we're here to help those few users for whom this is an issue. That said, keychain conversion from Agile Keychain to OPVault should happen AFTER 1Password 7 for Mac imports the data directly from the user's previously-existing SQLite file. In other words, the two processes are independent, so even if keychain conversion fails, you should still get the data before that.

Even in a case where that somehow did NOT happen, I would avoid using the export-to-1pif option unless there were no other way. 1pif is a great export format if you need a readable copy of your data to take with you elsewhere, but it has some significant drawbacks, not least of which is that it's a fully decrypted, plaintext copy of your data. That's easy to forget and leave lying around on your hard drive - or if you have Time Machine or Backblaze turned on, it's easy to get a copy stored in a backup -- something you just don't want. .1pif also does not preserve Folder hierarchies if you have those. If not just keychain conversion but actual import of data from version 6 did not occur, I would do this instead for anyone else in your shoes (drawing where I can from your steps):

If you are staying with standalone setup in 1Password 7 for Mac:

1. Open prior version 1Password 6. [If you already removed it, thats ok reinstall it].
    2. Follow these instructions to convert your data form Agile Keychain to OPVault
    3. Quit 1Password 6 and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    4. Delete 1Password 6 for Mac. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password 6 app to your Mac's Trash, then empty the Trash.
    5. Run 1Password 7 for Mac again. You will not get asked to convert because the conversion is already done.

If you are converting from a standalone setup to a 1password.com membership:

Run steps 1-4 from the above instructions, then:

1. Run 1Password 7 for Mac again. If you already have a 1password.com account, sign into that. If you want to create a new one, click the "Subscribe Now" button to do so.
    2. Once you're signed into your 1password.com account in 1Password 7 for Mac, navigate to Preferences > Advanced and check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1password.com." This will ask you for your Master Password, and then it will create a new, empty standalone, "Primary" vault.
    3. Visit Preferences > Sync and set the Primary vault to sync with Dropbox. Navigate to the OPVault you created in step 2 above. Let everything sync.
    4. Use these instructions to move your data from Primary to your 1password.com vault.
    5. Make sure Primary is empty, then return to Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts." This will remove the now-empty Primary vault, leaving you with only your 1password.com account, with all your previous data in it.

This will give that same result you want -- your older data, now in your new 1password.com account -- but without the messy and insecure step of exporting unencrypted data. :)

• aszajlai
    aszajlai
    Community Member
    Options

I'm really going to date my self with this question. That said. I was looking for a Password Vault that would work on my crazy set of needs. Windows desktop, Mac Desktop, iPad, iPhone, web, etc. That said have been waiting for an update on my Windows computer and it seems like I have now gotten that wish. I'm now trying to see what do I need to do to migrate from agilekeychain to I guess OPVault. My only choice was to use Drop Box. That said where should I do this first. Mac or Windows?

I just looked, It was July 2014 when I first installed. I have almost 500 objects in my vault, including all those things you said might cause me issues.

Any guidance would really be helpful. I'm getting asked to upgrade on a regular bases, but I have been typing 32 char passwords every iOS upgrade for about 4 years and never am without two devices that work with my vault. Not afraid to upgrade just don't have time to do this wrong or will just stay where I'm at for a while longer.

Thank you for any direction...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aszajlai - no worries, and sorry for the delay in our reply. I would do this on your Mac. You won't need to do it anywhere else; one conversion is all you need, then on other devices, you simply need to turn OFF syncing with the existing Agile Keychain, then turn it back ON but point it to the OPVault this time. Here are the instructions. Let us know if you have any questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.