Activation of Family account invitation without creating trial Personal account (on Mac)?

Options
Bill_Lee
Bill_Lee
Community Member

Was trying to get my mother using 1Password with my new Family sub (she never had used 1Password before). After downloading 1Password app for her Mac and running it, I couldn't work out how to allow her to use it without her signing up for a trial Personal account and only then was I able to activate her Family account login. When you first run 1Password7 on the Mac it puts up a dialog box that requires a trial personal account to progress further. My mother does not need a Personal account, and I need to disable her trial account before she starts getting charged for a separate Personal account. I had the same problems after I paid for a Family sub and when I downloaded and installed the software I couldn't activate that until I'd signed up for a trial Personal account, and so now I need to cancel this trial Personal sub because I don't need a Personal and a Family sub. I had been using 1Password from v1-v6 as a stand alone license, and recently changed because my ageing mother's password management by other methods was poor.

Is there something that can be done to avoid unnecessarily signing up Personal trial accounts if the person is going to only use my Family subscription?

I have three siblings that I also am going to invite, but would like to not have to get them to set up trial Personal accounts just so they can use my Family subscription.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: Family account

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bill_Lee: I'm sorry fo the confusion. In fact, when setting up 1Password for the first time, you get two options: sign up for a new account with a free trial, or sign into a 1Password.com account. If you invite them, they can setup their accounts using that invitation, and then they'll each have their own account to sign into when setting up 1Password on each device. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Bill_Lee
    Bill_Lee
    Community Member
    Options

Can you delete entirely a family member who has joined? I have a sister who is not going to be alive in a year or two (terminal disease unfortunately) and if I add her as a family member can I later totally remove her as one of my five family members and maybe substitute her husband?

I'm afraid of even testing adding a new family member to test the process of adding new family members if this means I am permanently down one family slot in my subscription.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bill_Lee: I'm so sorry to hear that, Bill. :(

Indeed, it's possible to delete a family member from the account.

However, I do like your idea of of adding your brother-in-law, and I'd suggest a bit of a twist: your sister could, if she chooses, fill our her Emergency Kit and give it to him. He's probably going to need the information there anyway, and that could potentially save everyone some hassle, if she's okay with that.

I'm also glad you mentioned "testing", as you may be interested in the guests feature. That allows you to setup additional accounts in the family plan (that don't use your family member slots) which have access to a single vault you share with them.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas, but definitely let me know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.