Option to require master password to reveal password on some entries

envoy510
envoy510
Community Member

Like CC's, bank accounts, etc. Lastpass has this feature and I definitely think it's required. I walk away from my computer and someone walks over and reveals anything they want.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• steven1
    steven1
    Community Member

If you leave your computer unlocked, someone could walk over and install malware, negating any potential benefit of requiring your master pw.
    Unless I am at home, I lock my computer whenever I am not in direct sight of it.

• envoy510
    envoy510
    Community Member

@steven1 I appreciate that, but it's not realistic. The fact is, people make mistakes. And making a mistake shouldn't have such dire consequences. This feature exists in Lastpass and it is a very good one.

• i think @steven1 makes a great point. You may want to consider setting a screensaver that causes the computer to lock, or some other auto-lock timeout for your computer. Additionally 1Password itself offers auto-lock timers. For example, in 1Password for Mac, 1Password > Preferences > Security there are a number of settings that may be helpful in this sort of a scenario.

That said, if there is demand for this, we can certainly evaluate whether it would be a good fit for 1Password.

Ben

• envoy510
    envoy510
    Community Member

@Ben I'm aware of all of those. None of them work for me, and I suspect for a lot of people using LP. I feel you and @steven1 just want to minimize this so you can feel better about ignoring it. The fact is, none of the responses deal with this scenario: I get up from my desk to go get a cup of coffee and I forget to lock my screen. For that 5 minutes, some very important passwords could be at risk if I use 1PW. If I use LP, they are not.

I am currently evaluating 1PW for personal use, but I'm also the decision maker at my company and I'm also considering moving from LP to 1PW there. This is, in fact, a deal breaker for me.

• It is certainly up to you if you choose to disregard the settings that we've provided to help prevent said scenario. We're probably not going to re-invent the wheel when solutions to this problem already exist in the product. We'd have to have pretty good reason to do so. Perhaps such a reason exists? Could you please elaborate on what makes it such that the already existing options don't fit your needs?

Also please don't misunderstand me: I'm certainly not saying "no" to this request. As I mentioned if there were significant demand for this or it could be demonstrated how this would solve a widespread problem that isn't already solvable in 1Password we'd certainly consider this as one possible solution.

I'd encourage you to use LastPass if it better meets your needs. We want folks to choose to use 1Password because it offers the best solution for them, not because they feel shoehorned into it.

Ben

• envoy510
    envoy510
    Community Member

It is certainly up to you if you choose to disregard the settings that we've provided to help prevent said scenario.

I don't think it does. The auto-lock would have to be very short to prevent this one. Don't you think it would be highly annoying to have to type in the master password all the time? I've chosen a very secure and very long one. I can assure you, it would be very annoying to me.

Could you please elaborate on what makes it such that the already existing options don't fit your needs?

See above. If I forget to lock my computer, yet I don't want to have an absurdly short auto-lock, what are my choices? I don't see any. That's why an option for certain entries, to require the master password, seems like the perfect solution. Once I have used for years with LP.

Also please don't misunderstand me: I'm certainly not saying "no" to this request. As I mentioned if there were significant demand for this or it could be demonstrated how this would solve a widespread problem that isn't already solvable in 1Password we'd certainly consider this as one possible solution.

How I read this: "no one has ever asked for this and we feel like there are already solutions in place." It's pretty clear it won't happen. Also, no one in this thread has even acknowledged that my suggestion isn't covered by existing features. So, that statement seems a little patronizing, TBH.

• steven1
    steven1
    Community Member

Hi @envoy510 I am just a customer, not affiliated in any way to AB. I have no incentive in minimizing your needs. I am simply pointing out (a) pitfalls of leaving the computer unlocked and (b) my own paranoid locking of my computer when it is not in direct sight, all in the hopes of potentially helping out someone else.

Being the decision maker for IT stuff as you are, I am sure you already know, free advice from people like me on the Internet, is well, worthless :-) Please disregard.

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member

@envoy510

If I forget to lock my computer, yet I don't want to have an absurdly short auto-lock, what are my choices? I don't see any.

Use a lockable screensaver with a short delay. It won't kick in until you're inactive.

Once I have used for years with LP.

If that option is available with LastPass then nobody is shoehorning you into using 1Password if you feel another product fits your needs better.

How I read this: "no one has ever asked for this and we feel like there are already solutions in place." It's pretty clear it won't happen.

1Password is a business and will follow consumer demand. Low demand suggests that the market / customer base simply doesn't want or need such a feature.

Also, no one in this thread has even acknowledged that my suggestion isn't covered by existing features.

As you're categorically stating that the feature doesn't exist, then there's not much point in anybody acknowledging the obvious. Following your logic that would be patronising. ;)

• envoy510
    envoy510
    Community Member

@gazu

Use a lockable screensaver with a short delay. It won't kick in until you're inactive.

For the way I work, on the phone starring at the screen, this doesn't work.

Again, 99% of the time, I lock my screen manually when I get up and leave my computer. The suggestion here is great for that 1%. Nothing else that has been suggested is as foolproof.

As you're categorically stating that the feature doesn't exist, then there's not much point in anybody acknowledging the obvious. Following your logic that would be patronising.

There isn't a solution in 1Password to my scenario, and it's curious how hard people are working to convince me otherwise. I have, after all, used LP for years and 1Password for a couple of weeks. Every single suggestion isn't new to me, has already been considered, and found to be lacking (for me). They may not be lacking for other people, but they are for me.

• Understood. Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective. If this is indeed a deal breaker for you then unfortunately I don’t see 1Password being a good fit, at least in the short term. It may be possible in the future to offer other options (perhaps even exactly what you’ve proposed) and it may be worth reconsidering at that time.

Thanks again.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.