One Family, multiple computers, 1Password, and Dropbox accounts

dholaday
dholaday
Community Member

Both my wife and I have been using 1Password and Dropbox for years. Each of us has our own Mac [and iPhone and iPad]. Each of us has our own iPassword app and Dropbox account on each of our devices.

I have a 1Password Family License, but my wife has the Mac App Store version [not quite sure how that happened].

We have a lot of shared accounts - financial, credit cards, shopping, etc - that cause us to manually wander between computers to make sure our passwords for those accounts are the same. I have about 600 items in my 1Password; my wife probably has fewer - she's not as OCD as I.

I'd like to get us both on the Family License, upgrade to version 7, and somehow share a single ?vault? that would contain all of our passwords. And have that shared ?vault? accessed with our existing individual 1Password password.

Is there a way to do that? Without screwing things up and losing data?

TIA

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: OS 10.13.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dholaday: Well, if you go the license route, you'd need two of them — more if you use other platforms besides just a Mac. All licenses are "single user": they're sold per person. You can, however, get a 1Password Families membership, and that includes 5 family members in the base price. It also allows you to easily share vaults securely and help family members recover their accounts if they get locked out — along with many other benefits. Then you'd each have access your own Private vault, a family Shared vault, and then any others you create to share with one, all, or none of your family members. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions — especially coming from Dropbox, as I've used that for years myself. :)

• contrail33
    contrail33
    Community Member

Hi, Im jumping on the end of this discussion. We have a similar situation to the OP. Our family is currently using v6 of 1password, synced over dropbox with a variety of iphones/ipads/androids/etc...been using it since v3 or 4 (OS Tiger!) I think.

The new sharing service sounds much more simple and secure than everyone having a separate dropbox file. BUT we have a few essential devices which cannot be updated (such as the old ipad we use for school, my laptop which needs OS 10.11 to run an essential compositing program, etc) and need to have password storage.

I read on another discussion topic that it's possible to create a separate vault, shared on dropbox, which contains the passwords used on our older devices? Or would I need to run two version of 1password (one with dropbox and one with family sharing enabled)?

Also, still not clear on the cost. In order to have the 5 family members sharing vaults do we need to purchase licenses for each device plus the subscription service? Or is the app free with the membership service?

Sorry I know this info is probably somewhere on the agilebits website but I'm crosseyed from looking stuff up and just need some reassurance before I start an upgrade/install rampage that could blow up in our faces before we figure it out ...

thanks in advance

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

The apps are free with the subscription. You do not need separate licences.

Yes, you can have a vault (or vaults) that are shared on Dropbox, and you only need one version of 1PW. The secret is to check the Local Vaults item of 1PW Advanced preferences. We can give more details later.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hi, Im jumping on the end of this discussion. We have a similar situation to the OP. Our family is currently using v6 of 1password, synced over dropbox with a variety of iphones/ipads/androids/etc...been using it since v3 or 4 (OS Tiger!) I think.

@contrail33: Me too! This probably sounds stupid in 2018, but I ran out and bought a new Mac when Tiger was announced because I was so excited about Spotlight! :lol:

The new sharing service sounds much more simple and secure than everyone having a separate dropbox file. BUT we have a few essential devices which cannot be updated (such as the old ipad we use for school, my laptop which needs OS 10.11 to run an essential compositing program, etc) and need to have password storage. I read on another discussion topic that it's possible to create a separate vault, shared on dropbox, which contains the passwords used on our older devices? Or would I need to run two version of 1password (one with dropbox and one with family sharing enabled)?

As danco mentioned, you can use local vaults alongside 1Password.com accounts in most cases. If you'll let me know the specifics I'll be happy to help.

Also, still not clear on the cost. In order to have the 5 family members sharing vaults do we need to purchase licenses for each device plus the subscription service? Or is the app free with the membership service?

Everything is included with a 1Password.com membership. So a 1Password Families membership gets you all those same benefits for up to 5 family members in the base price.

Sorry I know this info is probably somewhere on the agilebits website but I'm crosseyed from looking stuff up and just need some reassurance before I start an upgrade/install rampage that could blow up in our faces before we figure it out ... thanks in advance

Totally okay. We (hopefully) know where everything is, and we're always happy to answer questions and point you in the right direction. :)

• sdes
    sdes
    Community Member

Having read the answers, still totally unclear as to whether it is possible to integrate two (or more) existing users' vaults from 1Password6 into the 1Password 7 "Family account", or is only the primary member's account info imported and other users have to add their data "manually"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sdes: With a 1Password Families membership, each family member has their own account with a Private vault which only they can access, and then you can also create as many additional vaults as you want and share them with some, all, or none of your family members. And it's totally up to you what you put where. :)

• sdes
    sdes
    Community Member

Thanks for the response brenty, I understand that going forward, each family member has their own vault, the element I an still unclear on is whether each family member can import their existing data from 1PW 4, 5, 6 etc, or whether it is only the primary member's account info imported and other users have to add their data "manually".

I think I said the same thing before, but I'm not sure how else to explain what I mean, but I'm obviously not explaining clearly.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

@sdes: All my family members could import their previously Dropbox based vaults into their own 1Password for Families vault (so that’s not restricted to me, who set up the account and pays for it).

• dholaday
    dholaday
    Community Member

If I create a shared vault for me and my wife, can she and I access it with different passwords?

Thanks

• dholaday
    dholaday
    Community Member

If I create a shared vault for me and my wife, can she and I access it with different passwords?

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sdes: I think we covered that in the other discussion, but be sure to let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dholaday: Great question! While it's important to note that vaults themselves do not have Master Passwords with a 1Password.com account, each person's account has a Master Password they choose. So you'll sign into your account with your own Master Password to get at all of the vaults you have access to there (inducing your own Personal/Private vault, which only you can ever access, and any shared vaults), and your wife will have her own Master Password she sets for her account. And if both of you have access to the same Shared vault, you'll each be able to get to it without having to share Master Passwords. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• contrail33
    contrail33
    Community Member

Thanks for the detailed answers (and followup discussion). We're in agreement it's worth the money and time to upgrade. Biggest hassle will be to integrate several overlapping password vaults, but it will definitely beat reading passwords to each other over the phone ;-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the detailed answers (and followup discussion).

You're very welcome! :chuffed:

We're in agreement it's worth the money and time to upgrade. Biggest hassle will be to integrate several overlapping password vaults, but it will definitely beat reading passwords to each other over the phone ;-)

We're definitely in agreement about that! Run, don't walk! :lol:

• dholaday
    dholaday
    Community Member

:) What Contrail33 said. All of it. :)

• Thanks for chiming in @dholaday :)

Ben

• dholaday
    dholaday
    Community Member

Ben: I was OP in this thread - got lots of good information from it. Made the switch to 1Password Families, now struggling with integrating our old individual vaults. As Contrail33 said, it's a challenge.

• dholaday
    dholaday
    Community Member

Is there a way to have 2 vaults open - so that both can be viewed at the same time?

• You can utilize the All Vaults view to look at the contents of all of your vaults, but otherwise no — there is no side-by-side view. What sort of difficulty are you having?

Ben

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

@dholaday Sorry if I jump in here and also not with a helpful comment. I've seen your thread title a few times now while scrolling through the forums, and everytime I think "That sounds like the beginning of a really nerdy joke" :chuffed:
    SCNR

• @Manaburner it doesn't end with "walk into a bar." ;)

Ben

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

@Ben That's true. But I guess today this must be a Starbucks

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2018

Ha. ;)

Ben

• dholaday
    dholaday
    Community Member

Ben: Re Side-By- Side

That would make it MUCH easier to integrate multiple vaults. Maybe you should add it as a feature in the next update.

Another option - altho not as useful for integrating - would be to have 2 [or more] user-selected vaults open at once, rather than just "one Vault" or "All Vaults". Maybe in an update?

Duncan

• dholaday
    dholaday
    Community Member

Re my 2d option, above [only 2 vaults open rather than all vaults]. I figured out how to do that in "preferences". Side by side would still be better.

d

• Thanks for the feedback. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.