1Password functionality

ElJefe
ElJefe
Community Member

I used to think it "rocked" but lately, I really have my doubts. Even though all the necessary boxes are check for the automatic "log in" it does NOT work. I have had a license for almost 8 years, it is NOT listed on the Accounts page. And, the most startling is, I have misplaced my "Secret Key and "Setup Code" and am unable to decipher the directions on the website on how to do it And, the real icing on the cake is the missing "1Password Emergency Kit" that should be in my documents folder, and it is NOT.

1Password Version: 6.0.2
Extension Version: Unknown
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Most of this is due to a misunderstanding, particularly if you have recently upgraded to version 7.

A LICENCE is not an ACCOUNT. Accounts only exist if you have a subscription rather than a one-off licence. The same applies to the Secret Key and Emergency Kit.

You are still on 1PW6, you say, though 6.0.2 is quite old, you should be at 6.8 or so. I wonder if you are actually on 7.0.2.

I'm not sure what is going on if you are still on version 6, as really things should be behaving just as they previously did. But you may have inadvertently set something so that it is showing you the subscription account rather than the licenced vaults.

If you did move to 1PW7, it is unfortunately all too easy to move to a subscription during the upgrade.

There are good reasons for going to the sub, particularly if you have devices from more than one operating system, see https://support.1password.com/why-account/ But you can buy a one-off licence if you wish, though the upgrade to1PW7 requires a new purchase, the old licence will not apply.

If you do happen to be on version 7, there is an extra setting needed in the preferences for the automatic login. We can give details when we are clear what version you are using. If it is still version 6, it might help if you said exactly what steps you were taking that you expected would do the login for you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ElJefe: Indeed, you will only have an account if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault. Either way, if you have questions please let us know. :)

• ElJefe
    ElJefe
    Community Member

I bought the license and assumed, maybe unjustly so, that I was covered, like I am with various other softwa5e programs, for the duration. I guess NOT. My tech support advises not to buy into 1Password, any further, because of not being a fan of the business practices and even they will NOT be up-grading.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

I bought the license and assumed, maybe unjustly so, that I was covered, like I am with various other softwa5e programs, for the duration.

@ElJefe: I'm not sure what you mean by "for the duration". A one-time purchase has no duration; a license never expires, but is valid for the version you purchased. That's always been the case.

But you're right: people nowadays tend to expect to be able to use an app seamlessly across all their devices. That's why we introduced 1Password.com memberships years ago, so that it's no longer necessary to fiddle with sync settings or manage licenses — and upgrades — for different platforms.

I guess NOT. My tech support advises not to buy into 1Password, any further, because of not being a fan of the business practices and even they will NOT be up-grading.

I don't really know what this means either. We charge for our products because that's the only way we can make them. What's your company's business model?

ref: PPS-46619-968

This discussion has been closed.