Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kappingar: Yep! If you're having trouble with only comments (not new discussions), I understand that content blockers can sometimes cause that. Definitely worth a look. :)

• System
    Options
    This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password7, attachments and 1Password.com.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

For what it's worth this 'improvement' is not thought through and in my humble opinion literally retarded. Apologies for the strong words, but sometimes appropriate words need to be used.

@kappingar: Um, no. That's definitely not appropriate, or very humble. We need to keep the forums as friendly as possible for the wide range of people that visit. Be sure to keep that in mind in the future. We're happy to have you here, so long as you can adhere to the guidelines:

Forum guidelines

The arrogance is quite astounding here where you guys basically are saying 'you're doing it wrong'.

It's pretty arrogant of you to say that, actually.

What about listening to feedback?

We're listening. :)

I converted my standalone account to Family and as a result my item count increased by many hundreds. This is manageable if the design had a minuscule thought for end users experience.

That's an interesting perspective. Can you tell me why the item count is important to you?

Instead my view displays hundreds of (starting from the TOP):
    random-filename.zip some-title
    random-filename.jpg some-title
    random-filename.jpg some-title

That's a fair point. It sounds like you had a lot of attachments. That's not typical, but certainly something we can consider as we develop future versions.

Selecting each entry there is nothing linked to it, there is a random date and that's it.
    What is it?
    Where does it belong?
    Why isn't it linked to anything?

Ultimately these are questions only you can hope to answer, since we don't have access to or knowledge of your data. However, it sounds like maybe you'd previously been creating items in a local vault with the sole purpose of attaching a file. Is that correct? If so, that's exactly the use case for Documents: being able to securely store files, without having to create Secure Note or something around them.

Why is this 'spam' cluttering my all-items view?

Because you saved this data in your vault.

If I delete this spam, will the accompanying record lose its attachment? which record is it?

if you delete an item, only that item is deleted. Other items are not.

Can I hide this clutter?

If you want, you can put these in a separate vault ("JPEGs"?) and then hide that vault from the All Vaults view (Preferences > Vaults).

Why is this MASSIVE change not documented or warned about prior to converting?

This has nothing to do with the app and didn't change in the new version; Documents are a 1Password.com feature, and have worked this way for years.

How do I fix this broken software?

It's not broken. 1Password.com just works differently from local vaults.

Do attachment even work now?

1Password.com uses Documents instead, so that a file of virtually any size can be supported, and added without having to attach it to another item.

If i manually guess or reverse search for a record with an attachment it says "Imported Attachment". Where is it imported? is it 'in this record' or outside it a linked item? or both?

Documents are eachseparate items, just like Logins, Secure Notes, etc.

If it's a linked item, how come link only works 1-way?

You can link any item to any other item using the "related items" feature when editing.

If clicking on a linked item I sometimes get thrown to a random file in the ~900 items in my view, but am unable to return to the main record. There is no back button.

It's definitely not random, and I don't think we're going to turn 1Password into a "browser"-like app with forward/back navigation, but I agree that it would be helpful to be able to move between linked items more easily in both directions.

As an example, if I go to All-Items view and enter the search "Chase". The relevant Chase login-item is the 44th !!!!!! item in the list. I have to scroll multiple views downwards to get my primary record because irrelevant clutter is cluttering the view. The data is important in the CORRECT context. For example, this is the equivalent to displaying hundreds of random PIN sections, or random phone numbers from random login-items in the main All-Items view. How come this isn't a p1? p0 even?

Either it's a search bug, or you have a lot of items that reference "chase" in them. Have you tried narrowing the search scope — for example, searching Major Fields instead of All? If you're getting items in a "chase" search which do not contain "chase", we need to look into that.

It's a sad state, but with this clearly minimal reception of feedback it's clear why the design is as it is. Your software is (was?) great, but looks like something has changed, and it's not for the better.

I'm sorry to hear that, but I appreciate the honest (and civil) constructive criticism. We'll see what we can do to improve Document handling.

Bugs suck, but they're part of life. Stuff happens, but it's all about how you handle it. Some advise for the future. Please listen to feedback and absolutely don't tell customers "you're doing it wrong" in cases where an amoeba can see they're not the issue.

I don't see where anyone has said that, but thanks for the feedback. This is definitely one particular use case where we need to do better.

This discussion has been closed.