Nested tags - do these work at all

Roxy
Roxy
Community Member

The release notes for 7.1.567 (WIndows) states:
Find all nested items that belongs to the same main tag by using asterisk after / such as Versions/* or Versions/Win* in the search field.

This does not work at all for me. I selected 'All Items' and the put 'Family / *' (and all variations of with/without the spaces) into the search field and no results are shown. I have a 'Family' tag with 4 children tags underneath - and there are items with those tags.

Related - shouldn't I be able to click on the 'Family' tag on the left (in the Tag section) and have it show all items associated with that tag AND all of its children tags? That doesn't work either...

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:gags

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The release notes for 7.1.567 (WIndows) states:

Find all nested items that belongs to the same main tag by using asterisk after / such as Versions/* or Versions/Win* in the search field.

This does not work at all for me. I selected 'All Items' and the put 'Family / *' (and all variations of with/without the spaces) into the search field and no results are shown. I have a 'Family' tag with 4 children tags underneath - and there are items with those tags.

Sorry for the confusion there. I think this perhaps should have been clearer in the release notes, but this is referring to doing tag: searches. Using your example, you'd type tag:Versions/* in the search box and it would find all items tagged with Versions nested.

Related - shouldn't I be able to click on the 'Family' tag on the left (in the Tag section) and have it show all items associated with that tag AND all of its children tags? That doesn't work either...

No. That's what the search method above is for. If you select the Versions/Win tag, it will only show items matching that exactly. Same with Versions. Again, sorry it isn't clearer. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Roxy
    Roxy
    Community Member

This forum is strange - from your reply it appears I should be able to quote you but I can't figure out how....

Anyways I'll do it manually:

Sorry for the confusion there. I think this perhaps should have been clearer in the release notes,
    but this is referring to doing tag: searches. Using your example, you'd type tag:Versions/* in the
    search box and it would find all items tagged with Versions nested.

This doesn't work either. I've selected 'All items' and put every variation (with and without spaces) of tag:Family/* into the search box and no results are returned. I actually can't get any search using 'tag:' to work...

No. That's what the search method above is for. If you select the Versions/Win tag, it will only show
    items matching that exactly. Same with Versions. Again, sorry it isn't clearer. I hope this helps. Be
    sure to let me know if you have any other questions!

If you have a graphical display of tags (parents and nested children) it is only natural to expect that selecting a parent tag would show all items within the 'family' (parent and children). I can understand it may not work now but surely that is what eventually will be possible, correct?

• Hi @Roxy,

This forum is strange - from your reply it appears I should be able to quote you but I can't figure out how....

There isn't a quick quote > reply action, the way it works is to copy and paste, using > character to quote it or the format tool in the reply toolbox.

It is only natural to expect that selecting a parent tag would show all items within the 'family' (parent and children). I can understand it may not work now but surely that is what eventually will be possible, correct?

At this moment, there is no "natural" understanding of how the nested tag works, there are variants everywhere. As we continue to transition to nested tags fully, we're having internal discussions on which variant we want to standardize on. We hope to have one very soon and update all 1Password apps to match.

Right now, 1Password on Windows treat tags uniquely, a tag parent/child means that, it's one parent/child tag. It is not two separate tags; parent > child. In other words, it is not expected to show up in parent tag list. If you have an item with both parent and parent/child, then you'd see it show up in both places.

We are leaning to switch to treating them as separate tags; meaning that parent/child will be treated as two tags.

This doesn't work either. I've selected 'All items' and put every variation (with and without spaces) of tag:Family/* into the search box and no results are returned.

There's a bug right now where if you're using search filter, it is case sensitive. In other words, make sure Family is exactly what you tagged and not family. Here's a screenshot of it working in action for me:

Note that including / means it start searching after /, it only returns child tags belonging to that parent tag. Once we decide on how we want to treat parent tag, we'll fix this quickly.

This discussion has been closed.