New user, cannot save userid and passwords to the online vault from a Windows PC

Options

I'm a new user. I signed up for the free 1 month trial and I'm trying to see if I can make this thing work well enough that I can use it. I was able to use the chrome extension to save and retrieve website passwords on my IPad, and I saw the login information stored in the online vault. However, the chrome extension doesn't work on my Windows PC. I need to use the PC, because I have a lot of user accounts to save, and its not feasible to do it all on an IPad. I don't have a macOS machine.

On the PC, after I install the extension, the icon appears in the toolbar, but it changes colour intermittently, even when I don't touch the computer. Sometimes it is pale grey, other times dark grey. When I log in to a web site, the pop-up window from 1Password never appears, and I just log in as if the extension was not installed. I am getting icons at the right end of the chrome address bar that say things like Flash was blocked and a plugin was blocked.

I have been through the Chrome settings and I have adjusted them to allow Flash and allow the 1Password plugin, as far as I can tell, but it still doesn't work. I have the same problem in Firefox with the Firefox extension.

Can you help me get the chrome extension to work, and is there any way to get this done this (ie, save the userid and passwords to the vault) using the Windows desktop application?

Thanks for any help.

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: Win10
Sync Type: my.1password.com

Comments

• JimmyB
    JimmyB
    Community Member
    Options

Also, I have just discovered that 1Password has another extension for Chrome called "1Password X", and that one does work for me. It saves to the online vault and retrieves from the vault. Meanwhile the other extension still does not work.

Is it ok for me to just use 1Password X and forget about the other extension?

I read that 1PasswordX is not available for any browser other than Chrome, which is a bit of a limitation.
    Again, thanks for any help.

• JimmyB
    JimmyB
    Community Member
    Options

And I just found there is a 1Password X extension for Firefox on Windows, but it doesn't work, for me at least.

• JimmyB
    JimmyB
    Community Member
    Options

I've decided to use Lastpass instead, because it seems to work well on Windows browsers. But I'm glad there was a button to cancel the 1Password trial subscription.
    Thanks.

• MikeT
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi @JimmyB,

Thanks for writing in. I'm sorry you weren't able to get help in time with this.

The regular 1Password extensions requires the desktop program to be installed, so it can pull your encrypted data from your 1Password account and than your 1Password extension can connect to the desktop app to use the data. The icon being grayed out means 1Password extension could not connect to your 1Password desktop app, there are a few reasons for this; it can be blocked by your security programs like anti-malware solutions.

1Password X is a self-contained extension that runs within both Chrome and Firefox. Again, your security settings on the PC can block 1Password from working properly. We have a very tight security policy in place, it will not allow for insecure connections nor interferences from third party parties. Some anti-malware solution would try to get into the secured traffic, we automatically detect and block it.

If you ever wish to try 1Password again, please do reach out to us and we'd be happy to help you with this.

This discussion has been closed.