Tab or spaces are rendered as text style change

PLMan
PLMan
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

If I want to position text in secure note using spaces or tab, then it is rendered as line on gray background. Such kind of emphasis can be useful but should be launched in different way.
Problem appears when more than 3 spaces are used in row.
To be clear:
{TAB}House
will be rendered as House with grey wide background
{SPACE}{SPACE}{SPACE}House
will be rendered as House without any spaces at beginning
{SPACE}{SPACE}{SPACE}{SPACE}House
will be rendered the same way as {TAB}House

1Password Version: 7.0.5.BETA-2
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: macOS 10.13.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @PLMan,

What you're seeing is a new feature added to 1Password 7 for Mac: Markdown rendering in Secure Notes. If you're interested, here is our support document describing the syntax: https://support.1password.com/markdown/

However, your particular case isn't listed in the support document. :) As part of the official markdown specification, either a tab or four spaces will render the text of that line with the pre-formatted text block. You'd see the the same thing if you surrounded your text with three back-ticks like this:

```
    This text will gets special rendering.
    ```

• PLMan
    PLMan
    Community Member

Why it happens was obvious for me. I was checking document, you linked too. The problem is that using TAB and spaces is normal way to format text layout. Present behaviour is not intuitive nor comfortable. How to format secure note like this?

This is text
    and this is text which is indented

It will be much better just to left standard tab and space, especially that effect can be gained in different way you show.

Moreover spaces are not rendered to spaces, so even using 1, 2, 3 spaces is not indenting text.

• Hi @PLMan,

Unfortunately, tabs (and 4 consecutive spaces) mean something in Markdown, which isn't likely to change. However there are other ways to make horizontal space:

• Bulleted lists can be nested creating multi-levelled horizontal space.
    • Blockquotes (using the > character) can be used to create horizontal space (and can also be nested).
  • PLMan
    PLMan
    Community Member

Bulleted list is not the solution as it has bullets.
    Blockquotes are not working in 1P secure notes - they are just not displayed, not changed to spaces

What Markdown reference you have in mind talking about tabs and 4 spaces? I was trying to search for it and not found any references.

• Sorry about that, we are testing a fix for blockquotes now, stay tuned.

This discussion has been closed.