Pet Peeves of 1Password 7 for Windows

Options
Andrew42
Andrew42
Community Member
edited June 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Firstly some disclaimers:
1. I am uncertain whether this should be posted in the Windows or in the Beta section of the forum
2. I do not pretend to be an expert so if I am misunderstanding some elements in 1P7 please forgive me.

I am laborioulsy working through my entire vault entering each web site as a new login giving it a different name and then, when I know it works, going into the vault, deleting the original record and renaming the new version to what it was originally. I am doing this because, with the great help and patience of Brenty, we have found this to be the way to make 1P work corrrectly for me and fully submit the logins each time. It still doesn't work all the time but now all my Favourites work correctly and all but three of my logins in the first part of the alphabet are working as they should.

Here are my current pet peeves.
1. In 1P mini, I either can see my favorites or I have to see my entire vault in alphabetical order, (All Items Alt + 2), logins, Credit cards, secure notes: the lot. If I click on the login icon there is either nothing there or only logins approximating the web site I am visiting. Why can't I see just my logins. Why can't I select just my logins that begin with the letter "C" for example? This would allow me to work sequentially through my vault without having to scroll down further and further as I work through the alpahabet?
2. I have also noticed that if I have any web site other than my home page selected when I invoke 1P mini I cannot scroll uniformally. The scroll jumps erratically and it is really difficult/impossible to get it to scroll line by line.
3. in 1P7 itself, I can see just my logins but I get them all in alphabetical order with no way to jump to all those beginning with the letter "C" for example as can be done in many other bits of software. The search box doesn't help becasue if I just enter "C" I'll get anything in my logins that has that letter somewhere in its record.
4. 1P7 and Microsoft Edge have a distinctly uneasy relationship. This means that I end up running two different browsers one merely to satisfy the whims of 1P. I am NOT blaming Agilebuts for this. The wise men of Redmond seem to have made a practice of releasing software that is less than ideal. Nevertheless it doesn't make running 1P any easier.

I would appreciate any thoughts that may help me get round these issues.

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: W10 Pro
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

I sent this without a subject. It should have been entitled Pet Peeves 1P7

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Andrew42,

Thanks for the detailed post, we really appreciate your time here.

1. I am uncertain whether this should be posted in the Windows or in the Beta section of the forum

Here's what I recommend; always default to the general forum, we're more than happy to move them to the beta forum as needed. The beta forum is for when you're using a beta version and there's a specific new problem or new feature that you're having a problem with.

1. I do not pretend to be an expert so if I am misunderstanding some elements in 1P7 please forgive me.

I'm sorry you have to say that in the first place, there's no need. We're always here for you and we always want your feedback. If there's something confusing, it's something we do need to simplify and clarify in the app itself.

1Password 7 is still a diamond in the rough but it is getting better in each update and a large part is based on the feedback we get from our customers as we keep working on 1Password.

I am doing this because, with the great help and patience of Brenty, we have found this to be the way to make 1P work corrrectly for me and fully submit the logins each time. It still doesn't work all the time but now all my Favourites work correctly and all but three of my logins in the first part of the alphabet are working as they should.

Hmm, that doesn't sound right. I'll review the ticket to see if there's something we can do automatically if we can figure it out why it is happening.

1. In 1P mini, I either can see my favorites or I have to see my entire vault in alphabetical order, (All Items Alt + 2), logins, Credit cards, secure notes: the lot. If I click on the login icon there is either nothing there or only logins approximating the web site I am visiting. Why can't I see just my logins. Why can't I select just my logins that begin with the letter "C" for example? This would allow me to work sequentially through my vault without having to scroll down further and further as I work through the alpahabet?

There are two reasons but this is something that'll get better surely in time:

1. 1Password mini Login tabs is matching against your current tab all the time even if your browser is not focused but is on a website since 1Password mini works with the 1Password extension installed in your browser in the background. If you bring up 1Password mini outside of your browser using Control + Alt + \, you'll notice it does show all of your Login items as it is not in the matching/filling mode. We want to make this smarter by showing matched items on top and the rest on the bottom. We're just not there yet because..
    2. We have plans to overhaul 1Password mini to be like the new mini in 1Password 7 for macOS, where there'll be a Suggested Items tab for matching items based on the current app/website you're on and Logins is in a separate tab. This also means we won't need to figure out how to show matching first on top and the rest of the Logins items on the bottom. The benefit of this is when we implement the Auto-Type feature later, it'll match or show you items related to the program you're on as well.

The ordering for Logins changes based on the mode; if it is in matching mode, it'll show Favorites first on top, subdomain matches, and then domain matches. Alphabetical sorting is only when it is not matching for the tab you're on.

1. I have also noticed that if I have any web site other than my home page selected when I invoke 1P mini I cannot scroll uniformally. The scroll jumps erratically and it is really difficult/impossible to get it to scroll line by line.

Does this happen more often when 1Password mini is locked first? If yes, this is a known issue related to syncing in the background, it will reset your scrolling.

This is something we're currently working on for 1Password 7.2, we're doing a lot of under-the-hood changes to try to reduce the impact of a background sync that affects the main UI thread. We want to separate both out, so that it can do sync without having to refresh your items too often.

For now, when 1Password mini is locked, unlock but wait 30 seconds to a minute for the sync to finish, it should settle down and scrolling should be consistent.

3. in 1P7 itself, I can see just my logins but I get them all in alphabetical order with no way to jump to all those beginning with the letter "C" for example as can be done in many other bits of software. The search box doesn't help becasue if I just enter "C" I'll get anything in my logins that has that letter somewhere in its record.

There are a few things you might need to do first:

1. Make sure the sorting for the item list is Title, so that it is alphabetical. If it is sorted by date or other sort option, it won't work well.
    2. Focus the item list and then type to select. If you're in search field or it is focused, it won't do type to select.

There's another issue, the current UI library we're using doesn't allow us to scroll the item list to show the first result on top. In other words, when you type c, it'll show the first c match on the bottom of the item list. It is something we're trying to fix.

1. 1P7 and Microsoft Edge have a distinctly uneasy relationship. This means that I end up running two different browsers one merely to satisfy the whims of 1P.

Unless you have a specific issue, I'm not sure how I can help you make this better. You have to make sure not to leave 1Password/Edge running if you sleep your device all the time, 1Password cannot resume under Edge when you wake up. Close Edge completely before you sleep.

Edge is not recommended by us to use at this moment. Edge simply is not designed to work with regular Win32 desktop program like 1Password, it likes Microsoft Store apps (UWP) only. In the current implementation, we have to run four separate processes between 1Password in Edge and 1Password desktop to make them communicate. As you can imagine, if one process goes bad, it just breaks apart completely. Sleeping the device breaks this because two of the said processes are Universal Windows Platform type, which has a different lifecycle model compared to regular processes, they get suspended and resume differently. In other words, in order for us to work better with Edge, we have to port 1Password to the Microsoft Store to remove these four processes but there are limitations in there that doesn't allow us to provide the best 1Password experience for everyone as in it will not work with Firefox, Chrome and other browsers, only with Edge. We have a lot of internal battles trying to figure out the best solution for everyone and we're working with Microsoft directly on this.

Unfortunately, there is no quick fix. We think we have a solution that Microsoft may agree with as Microsoft Store has rules and regulations that we have to abide with; this solution requires a lot of changes and is another unproven/untested implementation that has never been done before on Windows just like our four-process implementation was not done before.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Mike, Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed answer. To refer to my point 3, only. Maybe I did not make myself clear. Why cant 1P7 and 1Pmini7 have what you already have in the IOS version that I use on my Ipad
    Here there is a clear vertical alphabetical index showing along side my vault items. I click a letter and I go to those items starting with that letter.
    Is there some reason we cannot have that or something similar in the windows version?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @Andrew42,

This a default design element for lists in iOS, we do not have anything like this neither in 1Password for Mac, nor in 1Password for Windows. We can definitely consider the improvements in this area in the future, but I can't say anything for sure at this point. For the time being, please try to use the steps that Mike provided above:

1) Make sure the sorting for the item list is Title, so that it is alphabetical (if it is sorted by date or other sort option, it won't work well).
    2) Focus the item list and then type to select (if you're in search field or it is focused, it won't do type to select).

Let us know how it works for you. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• MikeT
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi @Andrew42,

Here there is a clear vertical alphabetical index showing along side my vault items. I click a letter and I go to those items starting with that letter. Is there some reason we cannot have that or something similar in the windows version?

It doesn't exist on the desktop OSes. That's a feature built into iOS (and other mobile OSes), it's designed for the touchscreen use. On desktop, there is no API or UI element for that specifically because there is no use for it. Typing c goes straight to c, which does exist in the Windows version of 1Password.

The Universal Windows Platform (UWP) APIs do have one UI that could be used but not available for desktop apps, clicking on the letter to bring up the alphabet that you can use to navigate. Windows' Start menu has this but it is not something that can easily be ported to 1Password.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Mike, thank you. I have manged to work out that if I highlight the first record in my list of log ins and type C. The cursor does in fact go to C which appears at the very bottom of the screen. I had not noticed that because I thought, clearly stupidly, that it would appear at the top of the screen so that I could see all the succeeding records one after the other down the screen. The only way to get the list to display logically is to start by clicking the lowest letter in the alphabet in one's list and working backwards. Typing Z only works if you have a log in beginning with z. If you don't, the cursor does not move.
    Thank you for putting me straight.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Andrew42,

You have the right expectation, that is how it is supposed to work in generally, it should bubble the first match to the top of the item list but unfortunately, the Windows Presentation Framework library we're using doesn't do it for us. We're trying to find a workaround.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again, Mike.

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.