convert ios password entry to login

dreh0615
dreh0615
Community Member

I have had several occasions where I've used 1Password to generate a password, only to discover later on my phone the entry was never saved as a login. I can't find how to convert that entry to login by clicking the 'Edit' button. I couldn't even find a way to add the username field on the iPhone. Please help.

1Password Version: 7.0.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:convert ios password entry to login

Comments

• lobianco
    lobianco
    1Password Alumni

Hey there @dreh0615. It's not currently possible to convert a Password to Login in 1Password for iOS, but you can do so in 1Password for Mac via the Convert to Login button.

• komrad
    komrad
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Is there way to do it using the Web interface as a work-around? I'm in the same situation. Away from home which is where my computer is , and would like to use IOS ( iphone or iPad ) to convert the password record into a login record.

Other options are
    1) wait until I get home to my computer
    2) copy pasted from password record into new login record.

1stworldproblems

• Hi @komrad

I believe those are the options at this point. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ben

• Niclas Ullbrand
    Niclas Ullbrand
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

How is this possible? Still no "convert to login" in IOS?
    I'm curious, how does 1Password expect our workflow to look like? Please answer with reason.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Niclas Ullbrand:

1. Type your username and password on the website
    2. Tap the "key" icon or "Passwords" and select "1Password..."
    3. Tap "Create Login" and save it
  • Niclas Ullbrand
    Niclas Ullbrand
    Community Member

And when you can only save the password, you're scewed?

Great...

There's a reason that the convert button exists on the desktop...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

And when you can only save the password, you're scewed? Great...

@Niclas Ullbrand: Can you give me an actual example of that? I've never known 1Password for iOS to only be able to save a password, but if there's a bug with a website we can look into it.

There's a reason that the convert button exists on the desktop...

Yep, because on the desktop there's a separate Password Generator, and when you use a generated password, the desktop app saves that in a Password item as a safety net in case you forget to save it in a Login. 1Password for iOS only has password generation as part of the Login creation process, so it doesn't have the other feature which necessitates the option to "convert to login".

• Niclas Ullbrand
    Niclas Ullbrand
    Community Member

So if you create the password on the desktop but use the mobile/pad and want to convert it, your solution is to go back to the desktop and convert it?
    Wow, that workflow is as smooth as the niagara falls.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Unfortunately, things being the way they are, and for years already, iOS is still behind Mac and Windows in terms of feature parity, not just 1Password for iOS but also Android, and mobile apps in general. It won't change anytime soon. I haven't investigated 1Password for the Web from within iOS but that may be a place to start?

• So if you create the password on the desktop but use the mobile/pad and want to convert it, your solution is to go back to the desktop and convert it?

Correct.

Ben

• Niclas Ullbrand
    Niclas Ullbrand
    Community Member

I think it's safe to say that that solution is subpar.
    So can you please add an option to convert a password to a login?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Niclas Ullbrand I'll be happy to mention it to the developers. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. :)

• _joe
    _joe
    Community Member

Here’s another vote for this feature. An annoying and inconsistent product deficiency on iOS vs desktop.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Unsurprisingly, there are a lot of differences between mobile and desktop, but over time that gap may narrow -- especially as the OS and hardware becomes a bit more "desktop-like". Cheers! :)

• annoyed1234123431
    annoyed1234123431
    Community Member

Another vote to adding this. Very annoying that it’s not possible.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your feedback @annoyed1234123431 :) And welcome to the forum!

• jwhoelter
    jwhoelter
    Community Member

Adding my vote for this feature as well. Please add it to iOS, thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know it's something you'd like us to add to the mobile app in the future. :)

• nschimke
    nschimke
    Community Member

This happens to me rather often, and it's extra frustrating that sometimes from the 1password popup on iOS I can't even tell if I have a password saved for the site. All I know is that the pop-up says nothing matched, and to figure out more I have to switch context to the 1password app and do a manual search there and so forth. And then remember to go clean it up before the next time I go through all that again. Definitely +1 for a better way to handle this.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @ nschimke! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and share your wishes for this feature. I don't have anything to share in return with you about it at this time, but I'll make sure the development team is aware of your wishes. :)

• jessesanford
    jessesanford
    Community Member

Convert to login seems like a trivial feature to add to iOS. Why so much resistance? I want this feature as well. It’s a no brainer. File it and schedule it please.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Resistance? There are only so many hours in a day, and days upon days worth of work to be done on other things that have been requested or are needed for millions of 1Password users. That said, it's on our list, and I suspect we will get to it in time. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.