After upgrade to 1password 7 on a Mac, I cannot login with master password.

rjplevin
rjplevin
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Families

I have a family account, and I see myself and my wife on the webpage at plevin.1password.com. I have been using v7 happily for a while, but just updated my wife's Mac today. I cannot sign into v7 using the app on her computer (though our family account shows up) nor on the website with her master password. She had been using v3, and I can still sign into that version using her master password. Should this be the same password to use in v7? Is the upgrade from v3 -> v7 too a great a leap?

1Password Version: 3.8.22 build 32010
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:can't login after update

Comments

• Hi @rjplevin,

It sounds like going from v3 to v7 set up 1Password 7 with the same vault as she had in 1Password 3. That would explain why it uses the same Master Password. You should be able to confirm this by going under Preferences > Accounts and it should say that no accounts are added on this Mac. If you add the 1Password Families account there, you could then move the items she may not have in her 1Password Families Personal vault from her Primary vault. Once that's done you can delete the Primary vault using File > Delete Vault... and then she should be off to the races with 1Password Families.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• rjplevin
    rjplevin
    Community Member

Hi, Rick. Thanks for the reply. Actually, I think there's a miscommunication... The panel that pops up with I run v7 on her Mac shows the family account, but I cannot login using that. So I'm not sure what you mean by "That would explain why it uses the same Master Password." Same as which? Neither my master pwd nor my wifes works in v7 on her Mac, so I can't get into Preferences, either.

• Hi, @rjplevin.

I'm sorry for the confusion. So your wife is a member of your family account, but until now she has only been using 1Password 3 on her Mac? Has she used 1Password on any other computers or devices?

1Password 3 has no concept of family accounts, so whatever data she had there was not connected to your family account. It sounds like she may have joined your family account and just never used it, in which case she may have picked a different Master Password which she's now forgotten since she continued using 1Password 3.

I think it would help if you could send in a diagnostics report from your wife's Mac. This guide explains how to do that:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/92339/after-upgrade-to-1password-7-on-a-mac-i-cannot-login-with-master-password
    • Your forum username: rjplevin

That way I can connect the dots when I see your diagnostics in the inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

The report will give me a little more insight into the setup there, and we can go from there. Thanks!

• rjplevin
    rjplevin
    Community Member

I cannot find the email from the bitbot (I checked local and gmail's spam/junk as well.)

• Hi, @rjplevin.

I couldn't find your email either. Did you send the diagnostics report to support+forum@agilebits.com?

• rjplevin
    rjplevin
    Community Member

Ah, no. It went only to support@agilebits.com. I just forwarded it to the other address now. Thanks!

• Ah, found it. I was searching for your email address and the first one was sent from your wife's address it looks like. I'll respond by email now. Thanks!

ref: PBW-54816-478

This discussion has been closed.