To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Include Two-Factor Authentication Secret Key in Emergency Kit

dmwilson1990
dmwilson1990
Community Member

Would it be possible to include the 16 digit secret key string in the 1Password Emergency kit? I currently have mine written down on the same piece of paper in the safe, but it would be nice to have it formatted all pretty :)

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @dmwilson1990

That’s an interesting idea. I’ll bring it up with the team. :) Thanks for the feedback!

Ben

• dmwilson1990
    dmwilson1990
    Community Member

Thanks! I'd hate for someone to lose access to their account for not understanding the importance of backing up this crucial extra bit of information.

• :+1: :)

Ben

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member

I made a similar suggestion @dmwilson1990 but mine was geared towards a section for the 2SV secret:

So many people complain on here about forgetting their master passwords, losing their secret key or getting locked out of 2SV that I'm amazed such a simple change hasn't been implemented.

It's really easy to update the Emergency Kit and takes a graphic designer 5 minutes. It'd reduce support requests because people who didn't appreciate the importance of the Secret Key would recognise that it's vital.

Whilst 1Password can reset 2SV (which makes it's use limited - one of the reasons they took so long to introduce it) they do not know the Master Password and Secret Key.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

So many people complain on here about forgetting their master passwords, losing their secret key or getting locked out of 2SV that I'm amazed such a simple change hasn't been implemented.

@gazu: Doing so would negate the second factor, so it's a decision that needs to be made by the user. If you're taking the time to enable two-factor authentication on your account, you're opting-in to this willingly. As with any additional security measure, like extra locks and alarms on the house, you know you run a higher risk of locking yourself out and should plan accordingly.

It's really easy to update the Emergency Kit and takes a graphic designer 5 minutes. It'd reduce support requests because people who didn't appreciate the importance of the Secret Key would recognise that it's vital.

The Secret Key is included in the Emergency Kit and has been from the start.

Whilst 1Password can reset 2SV (which makes it's use limited - one of the reasons they took so long to introduce it) they do not know the Master Password and Secret Key.

We also don't have anyone's TOTP secret. Two-factor authentication isn't magic; it simply protects against a specific class of attacks, such as replay.

This discussion has been closed.