How long would it take to get the website title fixed?

Options

1.5 years ago I reported that the default website naming is broken, that it will pick stupid names for all two levels root domains... mainly affecting all non US users as their local domains are likely to look like "co.uk" instead of .com.

The bug was not only not solved but the thread was also closed, see https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/71582/proposed-website-title-is-wrong-www-britishgas-co-uk-proposed-as-co-uk#latest -- while it does not make any sense, other than.... censorship.

Yep, I am annoyed, very annoyed because I paid to 1Password and I was hopping that Agilebits would consider bug reports. I know for sure that this bug affects user experience, lots of users, is easy to replicate and fixable. I was expecting to see this fixed, maybe not in a week but clearly not having it not fixed even after so many months.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How long does it take to get the website title fixed?

Comments

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Are you still seeing domains such as www.britishgas.co.uk as resulting in proposed names as co.uk? That would definitely be a bug. Can you send a note to support describing your system and including a screenshot?

There is a notion of "effective Top Level Domain" (eTLD) that both we and many browsers have adopted. So .co.uk is an eTLD and should be recognized as such. I'm not sure why you are seeing the behavior you describe.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018
    Options

1.5 years ago I reported that the default website naming is broken, that it will pick stupid names for all two levels root domains... mainly affecting all non US users as their local domains are likely to look like "co.uk" instead of .com.

@sbarnea: We made some improvements in this area a while ago, but there's probably more we can do. Unfortunately without the requested information you omitted from your post it's hard to do so. Please tell me the OS, 1Password, and browser versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

Foe example, I don't see any login forms on that page. The more information you can give, the better. Thanks in advance! :)

The bug was not only not solved but the thread was also closed, see https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/71582/proposed-website-title-is-wrong-www-britishgas-co-uk-proposed-as-co-uk#latest -- while it does not make any sense, other than.... censorship.

No. All discussions are closed after a long period of inactivity, and that one is nearly a year and a half old.

Yep, I am annoyed, very annoyed because I paid to 1Password and I was hopping that Agilebits would consider bug reports. I know for sure that this bug affects user experience, lots of users, is easy to replicate and fixable. I was expecting to see this fixed, maybe not in a week but clearly not having it not fixed even after so many months.

We consider all bug reports, but given that we haven't heard from anyone else with a similar issue this has a lower priority. I appreciate you including the URL, as it was easy for me to confirm that there is a problem with that particular website. But many sites like amazon.co.uk and others are not affected, so this isn't quite "affecting all non US users": you're the only one to ever report this, and I'm not aware of other sites that are affected. If there are others, please let us know.

It is even worse, for "www.britishgas.co.uk" it did suggest "co" as the name to use. TBH, I would not mind too much if it would (wrongly) suggest full names like www.britishgas.co.uk, but suggesting things like "co" makes is useless because sooner or later you forget to fix the name. If it would have the extra "www" it would not be a big deal.

I agree that would be an improvement. We'll see what we can do. And please let us know if you have other examples, as that could help us test similar scenarios and come up with a fix that could potentially help more people across multiple websites.

This happened with Safari Extension (4.7.0) which is not even able to figure out if the login failed, prompting to save even for wrong password (which didn't happen with Chrome version).

1Password has no way of knowing if a password is right or wrong. It just saves what you tell it to. But Chrome's extension APIs do give us more options for how login form submission is handled. Hopefully Apple updates Safari's APIs sooner rather than later as well.

Getting back to the original question, "How long would it take to get the website title fixed?" I cannot say as we do not have control over that website, but we'll see if we can find a way to work around this without negatively impacting others. Thank you for raising the issue.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @sbarnea,

The issue isn't with the extension. The extension is merely a dumb bridge between the browser and 1Password and it is 1Password that uses details such as the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) and the pages title to try and determine a suitable title for the Login item. That's why any update to the extension itself won't make a difference.

The code that generates the suggested title is very separate from code that checks to ensure a Login item is allowed on any particular domain. So while it might be annoying that 1Password doesn't pick a very intelligent name for some sites it won't impact on 1Password's security.

There probably will be a bit of a change here soon but I have no ETA as to when this might arrive.

• rudy
    Options

@sbarnea,

As @littlebobbytables describes, this isn't an issue with the extension, so the version of 1Password you're using is going to matter here.

Are you using 1Password 7?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for confirming that you're seeing this in 1Password 7. We'll see what we can do to improve the way that 1Password suggests titles when saving logins. In the mean time, you always name them whatever you want. Thank you for raising the issue!

ref: apple-1700

This discussion has been closed.