Questions moving from Dashlane to 1Password 7 Windows

Options

Hello, I've been a longtime Dashlane user on Windows, but now that 1Password 7 is out (with Family Plan support) on Windows, I'm considering making the switch. As I look at 1Password, I have a few questions (and a couple Dashlane comparisons) I was hoping others here could help me with. Some of these questions may be more "1Password X Addon for Firefox" related, but I don't really understand the interaction between that and the Desktop app yet.

I have 1Password for Windows v7.1.567 installed on Windows 10, and I'm using Firefox v61 with the 1Password X add-on (v 1.7.4). I imported my passwords from Dashlane (which worked great, thank you)

1. Is there a keyboard shortcut for Firefox to autofill the login information? Many seem to say CRTL+\, but that doesn't seem to work for me -- I always need to click on the 1Password icon in the login fields (CTRL+. brings up the Add-On panel in firefox)
  2. Is there any way (ideally on a per-site basis) for 1Password to automatically enter and submit the password information on a site when it detects login fields? Dashlane does this by default, and it is generally very useful.
  3. Is there anyway to fill out addresses and credit cards without going to the add-on drop down menu in firefox? Dashlane seems a bit more capable on credit card/address autofill (it has in-form dropdowns with pictures of the cards, etc)
  4. Is there any way to associate a billing address with a credit card (again, for the purposes of autofill)

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@millercentral: Welcome to the forum! Thanks for checking out 1Password! :chuffed:

Some of these questions may be more "1Password X Addon for Firefox" related, but I don't really understand the interaction between that and the Desktop app yet.

Just to clarify, 1Password X is a "self contained" browser extension. It runs entirely in the browser, as we've developed it so that folks who cannot use our native apps can still have a great 1Password experience in their browser — for example, Chromebook, Linux, and company machines where apps cannot be installed. Nothing wrong with using that along with the Windows app, but you may want to check out our desktop extension since that can interface directly with 1Password for Windows:

https://1password.com/browsers/

Is there a keyboard shortcut for Firefox to autofill the login information? Many seem to say CRTL+\, but that doesn't seem to work for me -- I always need to click on the 1Password icon in the login fields (CTRL+. brings up the Add-On panel in firefox)

1Password X doesn't have a filling shortcut. You can use the keyboard shortcut you have selected in Settings (Ctrl . by default in Firefox on Windows) to open the 1Password menu, or use the inline 1Password icon in the login form to fill.

The Ctrl \ keyboard shortcut is referring to the desktop app. If you use its extension, that will work to fill login credentials in your browser.

Is there any way (ideally on a per-site basis) for 1Password to automatically enter and submit the password information on a site when it detects login fields?

Nooooooo definitely not. 1Password only ever fills information when and where you tell it to. We don't want it squirting our sensitive stuff into webpages, as that's a known vector for attack, not only for fake sites capturing login credentials, but also personal information like name, address, email, etc. and payment details. So 1Password will only do this if you invoke it using the keyboard or mouse. We have no plans to change this.

Is there anyway to fill out addresses and credit cards without going to the add-on drop down menu in firefox?

The beta of 1Password X (probably stable release soon) supports filling Credit Cards and Identities using inline menus.

Is there any way to associate a billing address with a credit card (again, for the purposes of autofill)

No. Credit Card items fill only payment information, and Identities fill only address information. It's something we may add in the future, but often these things are on separate pages.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Hopefully this helps a bit, but please let me know if you have any additional questions. Have a great day! :)

This discussion has been closed.