1Password beta very sluggish [fixed in beta 9]

2»

Comments

• RPBarnes
    RPBarnes
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Hi @Ben to be honest I rarely open the main 1P window so its hard to say if this started on previous betas for me. I just noticed it on beta 8 over the last few days. For example, i've just woken my MacBook Air up from 'closed lid sleep', navigated to this thread to write this reply, tried the 1P main window just to test it and this time it took 9 secs after the password was entered to open up thereafter. However, I need to possibly put this into perspective, it may not just be 1P being slow. Either way, this is no big issue for me. The Safari or top bar shortcuts work well and this is good enough for me. We're only talking seconds here.
    Richard.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good. Thanks for your feedback on this! We'll continue to see if there are ways we can optimize 1Password, but I'm glad it isn't so dire for you in the mean time. Cheers! :)

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

I've seen it too, It's really difficult to analyze because it really is on and off. I've seen it in many of the 1Password 6 builds also (and reported it ages ago): Sometimes, you enter the password and it can take 30s to a minute before you see anything in the app. You try again, and it takes 1s; and again and it takes 10s. Really variable (and therefore difficult to figure out what the trigger is).

• jkeroes
    jkeroes
    Community Member

I can add more to this thread; it seems to match I'm seeing, as well. All of my apps have been slow this past week, beach-balling and such. Machine ran out of memory this morning.

Before the restart, I saw that the machine was swapping. kernel_task was up to 3GB (which is unusual on this machine), but didn't know what was wrong, so I didn't give it a good look. 1Password may or may not have been leaking memory but I can't say for sure.

After restarting, I got a better look. Now, I see that 1Password 7.0-ß8 has reserved 532GB of VIRT. To be sure: that's not MB, that's GB.

For troubleshooting:
    1. I've quit and/or killed both 1P and the Helper. They Helper resurrects, still claiming the same 532GB VIRT alloc.
    2. I've emptied the 1P trash; repaired perms, extended attrs, and launch services. No change.

You'll find a diagnostic report already submitted.

Here's a current picture of 1P in htop: https://www.dropbox.com/s/np4qi86pdycsawn/Screenshot 2018-04-18 09.40.03.jpg?dl=0

• jkeroes
    jkeroes
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

[repost deleted]

• Thanks @jkeroes. What is the support ID for your diagnostic report? I’m not seeing it in our inbox.

Ben

• jkeroes
    jkeroes
    Community Member

[#HPA-51751-273]

• Thanks. :)

Ben

• AnilR
    AnilR
    Community Member

I've noticed that the beta is way slower than the version 6. At times the Safari extension pops up fine, other times it stays blank for a few seconds before populating. If I try to "Lock" in 1Password my CPU spikes to 400%, then beachballs, Activity Monitor claims the process is not responding, and finally (5+ seconds later) it locks. I have 1600 items - is that too many?

• 1600 items is very realistic and should not cause a problem. Thanks for the feedback.

Ben

• gerbick
    gerbick
    Community Member

I've just installed Beta 8 and it feels more "deliberate" (read: kinder way to say slower) than 1Password 6.0. I'm new to subscribing - however I only have 144 total items. But Beta 8 of 1Password 7.0 feels definitely slower than my previous install.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

@gerbick: Thanks for the kindness, but no need to sugarcoat it! ;)

May I ask, in what context are you experiencing slowness? Unlock? Search? That may help us narrow down the cause. :)

• gerbick
    gerbick
    Community Member

Hi there @brenty - forgive the prior sugarcoat.

The slowness is in three key areas for me. 1Password app once unlocked to display the first screen of my saved logins. In 6.0 it was almost instant, not so on Beta 8. Not sure this is related, but the moment I want to open and save a login, it’s much slower there. And finally, once the app saves a login/password, the screen doesn’t refresh fast. It just slowly updates. Search seems to fine. Initial load and unlock is slow. Saving new logins is slow. Opening up after login is slow.

Hope that helps. Can keep testing.

• gerbick
    gerbick
    Community Member

Update: browser is definitely slower. Click the extension in Chrome 66 Beta and I can get a cup of coffee. It may not even open up or connect to the app too - first time that’s happened in ages.

• Thanks folks. We have code written that should fix this and that’ll hopefully be in the next beta.

Ben

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

Thanks for letting us know Ben.

Corentin

• Good afternoon, everyone. Thank you so much for the input. We have a beta coming out today that should resolve the majority of the issues you were seeing.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@MrRooni Hi - do you think it will help my issue, please?

• It should, yes. Please let us know if it does not. :)

Ben

• Hi @iamecho, as Ben said, yep! I think this is going to help you out as well. If it doesn't, please let us know.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@MrRooni @Lars Definite improvement in beta 9 so far. Thanks for the quick fix.

• @iamecho Woohoo! Thanks Echo. :)

• jkeroes
    jkeroes
    Community Member

I still see the .5TB memory allocation. Suggestion?

• @jkeroes

Just to confirm: you’re running beta 9? If so please send us a sample of the process allocating the memory:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/423690/#Comment_423690

Thanks!

Ben

• jkeroes
    jkeroes
    Community Member

ß9, yes. Sent with the prior support id.

Thanks again, Joshua

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jkeroes: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: HPA-51751-273

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Hello I'm using,
    1Password 7
    Version 7.0.5.BETA-2 (70005002)
    AgileBits Beta

And I'm finding it so slow to bring up the 1Password mini, and even longer to unlock it.
    In fact I can even go and have a couple sips of my morning drink before the unlock animation comes.
    Even after unlocking it takes a few seconds to display.
    Clicking a password item to fill into Safari takes another 3-4 seconds.

Is there still some optimization to do?

Cheers, @skippingrock.

• @skippingrock,

Yes, there is much optimization still on the slate. Performance will continue to improve over the next couple of releases.

This discussion has been closed.