Change Fill Login or Show 1Password Shortcut Back to Fill Login

s1rc
s1rc
Community Member

With the new version I've notice that the keyboard shortcut for Fill Login was changed to Fill Login or Show 1Password. Now when I'm using the same keyboard shortcut in applications that don't require 1Password, I get the 1Password window popping up.

Since there is a separate shortcut for Show 1Password, wouldn't it make more sense to just have Fill Login by itself? That way if someone wanted to emulate the current Fill Login or Show 1Password option, they could set the shortcuts to the same key combination.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @s1rc! Thanks for the feedback. I'll chat with the team about getting this improved.

ref: apple-1411

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

So this is really annoying in 1password 7 & may cause me to revert back. Since installing the beta, 1password has been hijacking this shortcut (⌘) systemwide (instead of just in-browser). It's interfering with my text editor. Instead of the expected behavior I get pulled out of full screen editor and 1password appears.

I have really strong muscle memory for ⌘\ in browser so I don't want to change that, I just don't want that shortcut to show 1password. Ever.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Actually, reverting turned out to be pretty easy & sanity has been restored.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bm5k - glad to hear you found a solution that's workable for you. To be clear, we don't recommend in general that people use legacy versions of 1Password in their "production" environment. However, 1Password 6 for Mac was so recently the current version that it's not a problem to use it for now. Having said that, it's not going to be your best long-term solution, the further away we get from the launch of version 7. Regarding the shortcut for ⌘\, that was made a global shortcut for a number of reasons. We may be able to make some changes to the behavior, but if you're looking for it to just "go back to the way it was," I don't think that's going to be happening, particularly given the relative ease of changing shortcuts in either 1Password or (often) in other apps as well.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I don't know about other users, but most (maybe all?) of my 1password usage is built around using ⌘\ to fill in passwords on web pages. This used to Just Work ™. It did so in a way that didn't interfere with any other software.

Now that 1password's behavior has changed, no amount of changing shortcuts is going to get that behavior back.

So, I either change every other app that uses the same shortcut AND re-learn to expect both behaviors from 1password, or I change 1password & have to relearn the shortcut AND learn the new behavior, OR I disable the shortcut and live without the feature I use daily.

It seems like an odd change. It seems even more odd for Agilebits to take such a hard line stance on it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Personally, I enjoy using the keyboard shortcut to grab info from 1Password quickly outside of the browser, and I've heard from many others who do as well. Not everybody uses other apps with conflicting shortcuts and/or is unwilling to change anything. We'll continue to take your feedback into consideration along with everyone else's, and we'll see if a change is warranted.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Cool cool. I getcha. Thanks for the awesome product & awesome support as always.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise! Thank for the kind words, and for taking the time to share your thoughts on this with us. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's certainly something we can consider, but it seems like that would just be shifting the burden to everyone else to learn yet another keyboard shortcut as opposed to you.

• kevinschaich
    kevinschaich
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

@brenty @Lars @Jacob -- I agree with all the commenters above that this new behavior is a regression.

The original CMD + \ that fills only in-browser was perfectly intuitive in versions < 6. The default global modifier (CMD + OPT + ) made it way less likely to conflict with other applications. For me, my muscle memory has CMD + \ mapped to "fill," but the new global shortcut makes it conflict with "Open Sidebar" in Sublime Text, Atom, and VS Code. I believe a user in another thread said it conflicted with Logic/Pro Tools for them.

An additional point. By combining these two previously separate shortcuts, you guys have broken the behavior for browsing/adding/editing items in 1password mini in the browser. Example: I'm on Amazon.com and I want to copy and paste a credit card number, so I press CMD + \ (the new GLOBAL shortcut to fill OR open vault), and instead of opening the vault it tries to fill my Amazon.com password even if I'm not on the login page.

You guys have botched this one. I think you need to accept that along the way, you may make some bad decisions and need to tailor updates or revert in response to user feedback. On the forums I see staff members pretty consistently saying things along the lines of "I don't think this is something we will support" or "I'll pass this onto the team (aka we won't fix)" or "I think the way we did it is more intuitive."

I'm an engineer as well, I know how frustrating it can be to not have a feature be as well-received as you hope. But rather than acknowledging that you broke a lot of users' workflows, your response veers in the direction of "This is how it is now, get used to it." Perhaps your users may have some good ideas, too.

At the very least, I don't think it's an unreasonable ask for you to add a checkbox to support the legacy behavior (when introducing a breaking API change). Alternatively, 3 configurable options: Fill Login, Open 1Password Mini, Fill Login Or Open 1Password Mini.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @kevinschaich! Thanks for taking the time to share your opinions on the new functionality of the keyboard shortcuts in 1Password 7 for Mac.

These forums exist because we're quite fortunate to have one of the most engaged and vocal user communities in all software, and we want to hear from you! :) We've never taken venture capital money, and we've also never had a huge corporate parent that can serve as a financial backstop or additional revenue stream. That's allowed us to have no other "masters" than our own ideas about 1Password, and you -- our users. We don't take it for granted.

However, although we're nowhere near the size of a Microsoft or Apple, we've gotten to the size (of our user-base) now where quite literally any decision we make, no matter how tiny, will delight some percentage of our customers and outrage (or at least disappoint) others. Throughout it all, our job is to make the best 1Password we can for all of our users. That's why I'm puzzled by some of what you said:

But rather than acknowledging that you broke a lot of users' workflows...

We're very aware that many of the decisions we make will alter people's workflows or force them to adapt new behaviors; that's the reason we don't make any such decisions lightly. We work very hard to ensure that every single post here gets a response from one of us, not just from other community members or moderators. However, there isn't necessarily a disconnect between recognizing that some decision we made/step we took will cause some people to have to change their workflows and still concluding that, on balance, it was the right decision.

I think you need to accept that along the way, you may make some bad decisions and need to tailor updates or revert in response to user feedback

I think so too. Reading this forum over time (or our release notes for various platforms) will show that we're quite aware that we don't always get it right, and there's always room for improvement, Again, that's the biggest part of why these forums exist -- because we've known from the beginning that our "users may have some good ideas, too," and experience has only strengthened that conviction. Many of the features and ideas you see in 1Password today came at least in part from suggestions from our user community - sometimes organically as a suggestion, and sometimes as a result of feedback to something we did that, after interaction with articulate users, we wind up improving, altering or even reverting. That's why, when you see one of us saying "I'll pass this on to the team," it doesn't at all mean "we won't fix" -- it means exactly what we said: we add comments and/or a link to forum threads in internal bug fix notices or feature requests in JIRA or GitHub, which the developers review. And in many cases, the replies you'll see here in this forum are actually from developers themselves. Frequently, users are speaking directly to the person who actually wrote the code in question in a given thread.

But just because someone disagrees with a choice we've made or a feature we've added/changed/removed doesn't mean we've made a mistake or gotten it wrong. Spend enough time here on these forums, in fact, and you'll eventually see different users asking for literally the exact opposite things, in different threads. Which of them is "right?" Unless there's a creative solution that allows us to square such a circle - and sometimes there is - we're going to wind up telling somebody in such a case: "this is how it is now" (hopefully in a more kind and helpful way than that).

I'm on Amazon.com and I want to copy and paste a credit card number, so I press CMD + \ (the new GLOBAL shortcut to fill OR open vault), and instead of opening the vault it tries to fill my Amazon.com password even if I'm not on the login page.

I'm unable to replicate this behavior. If you're trying to add a credit card into your Amazon account you're presumably doing so from your "Accounts" tab there. In the past (in 1Password 6 for Mac, for example), and invoking the shortcut ⌘\ would open the mini (with Amazon Logins at the top because you are at amazon.com) and tabs to open flyout menus for credit cards, identities, etc:

From there, you would navigate to the Credit Cards menu to see a list of your credit cards:

Clicking one of them would fill in your credit card number and expiration date. Alternatively, hovering over one of them would show that item's detail in flyout, where you could copy any of the details you wished (number, CVV, expiration date, etc) by clicking copy on the mouseover menu. In 1Password 7 for Mac, performing the identical tasks results in the mini displaying (because there IS no Login to fill on that page). The only difference is that the Credit Cards section is now in the left sidebar of the redesigned mini, and instead of waiting for the flyout menu to show you the credit card details, you can arrow over, or click the arrow in the list view.

If what I've just described is NOT what you did/experienced, can you clarify?

• guilhermearaujo
    guilhermearaujo
    Community Member

After migrating to 1Password 7, I noticed that the shortcut cmd+\ will open the 1P mini window even when I'm using other apps that "should not interact" with 1P.
    For instance, I use Xcode every day at work, and Xcode has the shortcut cmd+\ to enable/disable breakpoints in the code.
    Now, when I hit this shortcut, the 1P mini window opens, and it's really annoying.

This did not happen on 1P 6. Is this a bug? I really don't like this new behavior 😕

1Password Version: 7.0.5
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: High Sierra
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Karel
    Karel
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Darn! I've walked into this trap too. I thought it was the most annoying thing in 1PW7, so I downgraded to 1PW6 in less than a day just for this reason. But that didn't change this behavior because, apparantly, 1PW Mini is the same across versions. Now I'm stuck (can I downgrade 1PW Mini too?).
    I'm using this shortcut for years in a number of different (and much more important) applications, and now you say about reverting to the normal way of doing things: "I don't think that's going to be happening, particularly given the relative ease of changing shortcuts in either 1Password or (often) in other apps as well". Duh!? After an update, one application hijacking a keyboard shortcut system-wide? Tell me which application ever did this too? To me this is a first and I'd call it bad developer etiquette.

I cannot agree more with @kevinschaich: You guys have botched this one.

Come on, it is a password manager guys, please understand that. It's not the center of my workplace, and it's never going to be. It's by far not the most sophisticated piece of software on my Mac, so please keep it a bit more low profile. I really don't understand why you want your application to become more prominent at every release. Please understand that the people who use 1Password mostly use their machines to do other stuff than you do (know your customers, sometimes they're right...).

• Karel
    Karel
    Community Member

I posted a message here about how annoying this "new and improved" behavior is, but it was removed after 10 minutes. It was probably too offensive (it wasn't), so I'm sorry. I really think this new behavior of hijacking a system-wide shortcut that is used in many professional applications throughout many years is fantastic. I hope I can in the future ditch all my other applications and just use 1Password only, for everything. Center stage and all that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Karel: If you're referring to your post immediately preceding this one, it wasn't removed. If you'd used inappropriate language, it might be edited in that regard, but it looks like you kept it civil and that's appreciated. Constructive criticism is appreciated, and while I disagree with the intent you ascribe to us, I do appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us here. As mentioned previously, we don't currently have plans to change this as it's very intentionally setup this way to make 1Password accessible for grabbing relevant information even outside the browser. But we'll continue to listen to feedback like yours along with everyone else's as we evaluate things for future releases. For now, there are a number of things you can do to have 1Password behave differently:

• Disable this keyboard shortcut (click the ( x ) in Preferences > General)
    • Change the keyboard shortcut to something that is a better fit for your workflow

To name a couple. Also relevant, the Show 1Password (⌘ ⌥ \ by default) keyboard shortcut will open 1Password mini without regard to the current window you're viewing, so I know some folks prefer that, especially power users. It can also be customized.

However, we do feel that it's important that the default Fill Login keyboard shortcut remain this way so that a broad range of users can remember it and utilize it both in the browser and outside of it, and we've gotten a lot of feedback from folks who are deleted that 1Password is more useful even when they're not in their browser all the time. A lot of people tried to use the shortcut in the past and were confused/frustrated when it did nothing, not realizing that their browser wasn't open/focused. And, in their view, why should that matter? 1Password should come when they call it! We didn't do that previously because it was a narrower use case. But now that 1Password can suggest items for other apps too, it makes even more sense to have it work this way. After all, regardless of the context you bring 1Password mini up in, if you select a login to fill, it will open the URL in the browser anyway, even if another app had focus at the time. That's not new behaviour, and this is just an evolution of that.

I'm sorry you haven't found this a welcome change, but there are things you can do to have 1Password fit into your workflow more easily than users who are less tech-savvy. They're the ones who need our help the most.

• Karel
    Karel
    Community Member

Thanks for your comprehensive explanation @brenty. It was indeed that message that went missing. I triple checked, but it was gone for a while, and now it has returned.

As for the issue at hand, the friction here may indeed come from you (AgileBits) wanting to cater to less tech-savvy users. Like @kevinschaich I'm in software engineering too. We apparantly have a different view on how things would be done (best). I'll have a look at your workarounds, but I'm not happy to be forced to change my habits when I don't see an upside to it. It's a strange way to deal with your users. And as I said, I can't remember a software company doing this before.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Karel: Thanks for your honest feedback. Like I said, it's definitely something we're continuing to evaluate. But we do feel that we need to try to make 1Password be of more help to a wider audience. I get where you're coming from because I'm sort of more in your demographic I think. But folks outside of our wheelhouse need security too, and making 1Password more accessible to them makes a big difference. These people are our users too, after all. And when my less-nerdy family and friends benefit from changes like this, it makes me happy too, even though I'm not necessarily the intended audience. I was also used to the old behaviour, but I don't miss trying to explain to people all of the "if/then"s of 1Password's primary keyboard shortcut. Pressing it brings up 1Password, and in my experience that's what most people expect. But only time will tell how it all plays out, so we'll see. :)

• gabro
    gabro
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Hi guys,
    first of all thanks for all the work on 1Password. I'm a happy user since many years :)

I'd like to express my frustration too for this new behavior: it's really surprising to have 1Password to hijack existing shortcuts in other applications (in my case CMD + \ in VSCode, which is the default shortcut to split the native terminal).

I'm wondering, since there's already a shortcut for opening 1Password globally (CMD + Option + \, by default), why was this behavior piggybacked onto another one?

The way I see it we used to have:

• Behavior A: shortcut 1
    • Behavior B: shortcut 2

whereas now we have

• Behavior A: shortcut 1
    • Behavior A + B: shortcut 2

Why the change?

Again, it's really disruptive for many many workflows that have nothing to do with 1Password and there's already a shortcut for opening 1Password globally. Is unifying the two behaviors so compelling to force all your users to change workflows?

My current options are:

• find another shortcut for that action, hoping that it won't conflict with another one in any other application (ugh!)
    • disable the shortcut completely (what I've done now, double ugh!)
    • go back to 1Password 6 (what I'll probably do for the time being, triple ugh!)

I sincerely hope you reconsider this decision, based on the feedbacks you're receiving.

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gabro: Thanks for weighing in! I don't really have anything new to say over my comments immediately preceding yours, but we will continuing to listen to feedback from all 1Password users. At this time, while some people have expressed a wish that we change the behaviour again, many others are enjoying the benefit of being able to match items in 1Password in more places. And there are workarounds, as you mentioned. Thank you for letting us know your preference though.

• gabro
    gabro
    Community Member

@brenty thanks for the swift reply. I'd like only to specify something:

many others are enjoying the benefit of being able to match items in 1Password in more places

this is already possible (CMD + Option + \) without binding it to the "fill" behavior so I think it's unfair to frame the two things as opposite.

As I said in my previous comment, what happens now is that two behaviors conflate into a single shortcut, which sounds easily avoidable making two behaviors respond to two separate shortcuts (as it was before) and allowing users to use the same shortcut for both.

With that scenario, nobody would have to work around this breaking change.

Again, I hope you'll reconsider. For the moment, I'm re-installing 1Password 6.

Thank you

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brenty thanks for the swift reply. I'd like only to specify something:

many others are enjoying the benefit of being able to match items in 1Password in more places

this is already possible (CMD + Option + \) without binding it to the "fill" behavior so I think it's unfair to frame the two things as opposite.

@gabro: You're welcome! I was wondering if someone might bring that up. :)

It's simply not the same thing: ⌘ ⌥ \ completely ignores context; it literally just opens 1Password mini. I like that and use it a lot, but most users prefer ⌘ \ because it's contextually relevant (you're at a website, trying to login; or have iTunes asking for your password, and want to grab it quickly), and remembering a single keyboard shortcut for 1Password is much easier than memorizing more than one, and trying to keep it straight what does what.

As I said in my previous comment, what happens now is that two behaviors conflate into a single shortcut, which sounds easily avoidable making two behaviors respond to two separate shortcuts (as it was before) and allowing users to use the same shortcut for both.

No. It's really just one behaviour: ⌘ \ opens 1Password and offers any items that it can determine are relevant. You will get the same result with either that or ⌘ ⌥ \ if you're on a website you don't have any logins saved for though (or an app 1Password cannot match), so I appreciate that may throw you off.

With that scenario, nobody would have to work around this breaking change. Again, I hope you'll reconsider. For the moment, I'm re-installing 1Password 6. Thank you

Certainly it isn't the behaviour you personally want, but we have to consider others as well. Thanks for sharing your personal preference with us though.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Decided to put my money where my mouth is on this one. I've canceled renewal on my family & my team accounts. I'd like to think that the official response hasn't been condescending but re-re-re-reading the conversation, it really seems like that's the attitude from agilebits.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry to hear that, but thanks for your honest feedback. I hope you find what you're looking for.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We haven't changed 1Password's default shortcuts over a decade, but you're welcome to change them in Preferences > General if you wish.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I think maybe you're mistaking this discussion with another — or at least making some bizarre presumptions about me. Take care.

• iltercengiz
    iltercengiz
    Community Member

I know this is just reviving a long standing conversation but I (as a developer who uses cmd+\ in many other apps) also agree with all the complaints here. Also I need to note that I've been waiting some sort of an improvement for this behavior since the version 7 beta came out. I've been checking every single release so far. I understand that a majority of 1Password users might not be power users (like who have been complaining here). And also I understand that many people are enjoying the new behavior as well. But as a 1Password user since one of the very early releases, this changes a lot of things and I'm sure almost all of your royal users will agree with me as well.

You guys probably thought of this before but I just want to say my idea out loud here regardless. I believe this is as simple as providing a contextual menu for the shortcut to let users to select a behavior. Just add a selection to choose between "Fill Login or Show 1Password" and "Fill Login". I don't even care if the current behavior is the default one as long as I have an option.

I really like 1Password and I always suggest it to my friends as well. I really hope that this will be part of a future release.

Best.

This discussion has been closed.