Why is local database accessible through 1Password client when database is not connected?

I have successfully added and been using my 1Password 4 database (agilekeychain) in the 1Password 7 Beta (converted to opvault). The agilekeychain and opvault are both located on a network drive. When using 1Password 4, if I disconnect the network drive then I cannot access my database. With 1Password 7 Beta, I am able to access my passwords regardless if the network drive is attached. I can not find where 1Password 7 may have installed a version of the database on my local PC; I can only find the database on the network drive. How is 1Password 7 able to do this? I never elected to have my database stored locally on my PC.

1Password Version: 7.0.540
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10
Sync Type: Local

Comments

• @BennyFlapJack: Unlike 1Password 4, 1Password 7 has a local database to ensure you're able to access your data offline. It's a file named 1Password10.squlite located in your %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\data folder, and is encrypted with your Master Password, just like your database on your network drive. It allows you to, for example, save a new item when you're not connected to your network. This change will save to your local database and, once your network is available again (or your network drive specifically, in your case), those changes will sync up to your remote vault and your other devices.

Admittedly, this is more of a boon to folks using Dropbox or another cloud service to sync. It's much less needed when you're storing your vault on a network drive since you can have an internet outage, but still have access to that drive on your local network. All the same, since y'all have a lengthy list of choices as to where to store that database, we designed 1Password 7 to preserve access to your data, regardless of the state of your network or where you choose to store your data. :+1:

• BennyFlapJack
    BennyFlapJack
    Community Member

I just realized I never got around to responding. Thanks for the answer! It's really nice to understand how my apps get the job done. Great job with the app!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

No worries. Thanks for the update, and the kind words! On behalf of Kate, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.