To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Subscription plan for apps only?

Skurfer
Skurfer
Community Member

I'm sure this has all been covered, so apologies for any repeats, but I've read dozens of posts and haven't really found the answers I need.

I'd like to upgrade to 1Password 7 for some of its features, and I've been wanting to get others in the family using 1Password for years. This seems like a good time to set up a family subscription, but…

I chose 1Password over LastPass may years ago in part because the data never leaves my network. I haven't changed my mind about this and am unlikely to any time soon. I'm one of those people.

So, can I use the family subscription to download (and perpetually update) the apps on Mac and iOS devices, but never actually sign into the account from those apps? (I don't even want it to be possible to accidentally move my data to someone else's computer.)

Bonus question: Is there any way for family members to share a vault without using 1Password.com?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: macOS 10.13
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Skurfer: You can use local vaults if you want to, but you'll need to sign into the account in the app to have 1Password know that you have a valid membership. And you could sync local vaults between different Dropbox accounts. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Thanks, @brenty. I trust Agile Bits more than I trust Dropbox. :smile:

So let's say I sign into the app and just take care to keep most of the entries local. I could then create one or more "remote" vaults and share them within the family, right?

Would I still be able to use WLAN to sync the local vault with iOS? (I assume the other vaults would get synched via the account?)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @brenty. I trust Agile Bits more than I trust Dropbox. :smile:

@Skurfer: That's high praise! Thank you! But more importantly, your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. So either way, you're protected. :chuffed:

So let's say I sign into the app and just take care to keep most of the entries local. I could then create one or more "remote" vaults and share them within the family, right?

Yep! Even if you're comfortable (as I am) managing local vaults and configuring sync settings for them, if your loved ones are happy using 1Password.com to host their encrypted data that will make things so much easier for them since all they need to do is sign into their account to access all of their data. Either way, the apps support both 1Password.com and local vaults, so you can use either side by side if desired.

Would I still be able to use WLAN to sync the local vault with iOS? (I assume the other vaults would get synched via the account?)

You can! With local vaults, each can be sync'd discretely. The only exception is that with WLAN Server, the Primary vault is always included. But if you're trying to sync your Primary vault that way anyway that won't be a problem. 1Password.com account vaults are always completely separate from local vaults, so you won't have any confusion about where your data is stored. :)

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member

OK, I feel better about signing up then. Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! Glad to help any time. Have a great weekend! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.