Toolbar icon flashes

This discussion was created from comments split from: Chrome Extension is not Working.

Comments

• vizou
    vizou
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

I just sold a client on using 1Password (I have been using it since it first came out but have stopped at 1Password 6) on a brand new MacBook Air - we signed up for the trial, downloaded app on desktop and iPhone and installed browser extensions (from Agile site for Chrome, our main browser)... and the Chrome extension doesn't offer to save passwords EVER. When clicking on the icon in the toolbar, it just "flashes". No ad blockers on, no weird settings. I have tried everything, from reinstalling, etc. but no joy. Latest version of Chrome, Mac High Sierra. They're ready to go to Last Pass... I spent many hours trying to find the problem but with no success. And I am SO glad I didn't upgrade to your subscription service!! I have loved 1Password for years but can't possible use it if it won't offer to save passwords. It is a rip-off if passwords have to be manually entered! - I forgot to mention that the exact same thing occurs in Safari and the app is indeed installed in the system Applications folder as required.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vizou: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry to hear that. Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong for you specifically. Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. Thanks in advance! :)

• vizou
    vizou
    Community Member

It seems like you didn't read my message - I supplied all of that info - and I am not at my client's office right now so I can't add anything more. 2017 MacBook Air, latest version of High Sierra, latest version of 1Password 7 downloaded from App Store, NOT WORKING IN CHROME (or Safari). I spent hours online trying to find a solution, reinstalling, restarting, turning off all other extensions (3) and no luck - and see that a ton of people have exactly the same problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vizou: I'm sorry, but you didn't include any of this information in your comments:

• OS Version you're using
    • Version of Chrome (or other browsers you're using)
    • Version of 1Password
    • Version of 1Password extension
    • Steps to reproduce the issue you're describing

Under the circumstances, anything I suggest would simply be a wild guess. I don't see anyone else reporting that 1Password "flashes" when interacted with, so there isn't a workaround I can offer you without some information to troubleshoot. In fact, I'm not even sure what you mean by "flashes".

The only thing I can think of that people have had trouble with recently regarding using 1Password in the browser is when they didn't have both 1Password and the browser in /Applications. Anywhere else will not work due to sandboxing. In that case, you wouldn't be able to save or fill using 1Password in the browser, because 1Password would not be able to connect to it at all.

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your device, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#QHG-67617-176]

If you’re reading this and you are not vizou, this Support ID is for vizou only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we have that information we should be able to better assist you.

ref: QHG-67617-176

• vizou
    vizou
    Community Member

I think the issue has something to do with having installed 7 from the App Store. I just moved from 6 to 7 on my own MacBook Pro and followed the instructions to switch to downloading it from your site (as opposed to the store), then removed 6 when all was functioning. All works perfectly for me and I am on an older machine than the brand-new Air my client just purchased.

We will try that on the client machine since the trial is still running. Lots of threads out there of people having issues with Chrome extension. For the record, while I didn't put the numbered versions of software involved I did indeed say "latest version" of all mentioned - all happened on the day we installed.

As mentioned, I have no access to the problem machine at this moment - I don't live near this client.

Client Mac - 2017 MacBook Air
    My Mac - MacBook Pro Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013

FOR BOTH OF US
    Chrome 67.0.3396.99
    Mac OS 10.13.5
    1Password 7
    Chrome extension 4.7.2.90

• dana2048
    dana2048
    Community Member

I have been having this problem with 1Password since I installed High Sierra. The problem being that when I click on the 1Password icon in the Chrome toolbar it just "flashes" and nothing happens. I've un-installed, re-installed and just lived with copying passwords from 1PasswordMini for weeks.

Reading this thread now, I checked and sure enough 1Password 7 was in the User Applications folder instead of /Applications. I didn't put it there.

Anyway, moved it to /Applications and relaunched 1Password and Chrome. Voila everything is working again. Phew!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dana2048: 1Password definitely didn't put itself in another folder, so that's a bit weird. But I'm glad moving it to /Applications did the trick. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vizou: Thanks for getting back to me! I'm glad to hear that it's working on some of your Macs at least. Not trying to be a pain, but if I had a dollar for every time someone said "latest" and they were using something from a year or more ago, I'd buy a new Mac. Sometimes people download the wrong thing, so it's good to verify. ;)

Do you perhaps also have either 1Password or the browser somewhere other than /Applications ? Both will need to be there to be able to communicate due to sandboxing restrictions. I was hoping to either rule that out or verify that with diagnostics. If it's something else, we'll really need to look at that to determine what the problem is in your case.

• vizou
    vizou
    Community Member

When debugging the client machine, I verified from the start that it was installed in the correct folder and that no other version existed in the wrong place. Before I ever post here I read all the threads I can find online, not just in this forum.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@vizou - thanks for your reply. Can you please send in (or have your client send in) the diagnostics report brenty mentioned in his reply to you? If you don't live near your client, you can send him/her the Support ID number (including square brackets) and the link to how to create a diagnostics report, via email, and have him/her send it in. We'll be better able to assess what might be going on in this specific case once we see the diagnostics. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.