Unable to get 1PW to run on my iMac running Windows 10

Options

Long time 1Password user OS-X, etc. About a year ago I subscribed in order to use 1PW for Windows 10 as well. About 5 or 6 months ago, the 1Password for Windows crashed and I haven’t be able to recover it.

I just deleted it from my Windows 10 computer and the downloaded iPassword for Windows 10. After installing it, I can’t sign into it using my Emergency kit. I’ve tried several times and I think I’ve accurately typed my Email Address, the secret key and master password, only to get the red circle of death.

I’m trying to do this on an iMac running Windows 10 (latest software), but I can’t figure out how to scan the “setup code” to accurately type the above info.

My 1PW is running fine on my MBA, my iPhone X, my iPad and my MS Surface Pro 4. Now if I could only get it to run and sync with my other devices, I would be in heaven.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member
    Options

Re above, I'm using 1PW 7.0.4 for OS-X, I think 7 for Windows, High Sierra and Windows 10 (latest version). Don't know what sync method I'm using but if I change something, the change shows up on all my working 1PW devices.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Starflyer: If you have a 1Password.com membership, sync is built into that, so it would be understandable that it would work without you knowing how. :)

If for some reason you're unable to scan the Setup Code (maybe the camera doesn't work?), you can enter your account credentials yourself — email, sign in address, Secret Key, and Master Password. You can find those in your Emergency Kit, or in the app on a device you've already authorized:

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member
    Options

I’m getting CLOSER, BUT…

First of all, I think the Emergency Kit is a bit on the vague side. I didn’t realize it’s designed to log onto the 1Password website, so I never tried that until now.

So I DELETED 1PW from my iMac computer running Windows 10. AFAIK, all references to 1PW were removed.

Then I reloaded the program, but stopped there and ran the Emergency Kit on the 1PASSWORD.com site.

Wonder of wonders, it brought up what I think is the regular Windows 10 password files. All my passwords are there and I thought I was done.

Then I attempted to log onto a password protected website and clicked on the 1PW icon in the lower system tray. It prompted me for my 1PW which I typed in correctly and once again end with the red circle of DEATH.

The 1PW Windows version I downloaded was “1PasswordSetup-7.1.567, but when I then opened the Emergency Kit, it said I had 1PW 6.

Yes, now I can run the Emergency Kit when I’m in a session, copy and paste my data into websites, but it’s kinda like running a V8 engine on 3 cylinders.

So, what am I doing wrong??? 1PW works fine on my other Windows 10 computer (a Surface Pro 4), so I know it works with Windows 10.

I really don’t want to have to run the Emergency Kit every time I’m on my iMac.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I’m getting CLOSER, BUT… First of all, I think the Emergency Kit is a bit on the vague side. I didn’t realize it’s designed to log onto the 1Password website, so I never tried that until now.

@Starflyer: Indeed, sorry for the confusion! Certainly not everyone reads things, especially when signing up for something new to try it out. But the idea is that the Emergency Kit (if you fill it out) contains everything you need to access your 1Password account again even if all of your devices are lost, stolen, or destroyed.

So I DELETED 1PW from my iMac computer running Windows 10. AFAIK, all references to 1PW were removed. Then I reloaded the program, but stopped there and ran the Emergency Kit on the 1PASSWORD.com site. Wonder of wonders, it brought up what I think is the regular Windows 10 password files. All my passwords are there and I thought I was done.

Great! You're "done" in the sense that you can access all of your data through the website, but you can install and setup the app with your account too. That adds more convenience, since you can then use 1Password with other sites, or outside the browser entirely.

Then I attempted to log onto a password protected website and clicked on the 1PW icon in the lower system tray. It prompted me for my 1PW which I typed in correctly and once again end with the red circle of DEATH. The 1PW Windows version I downloaded was “1PasswordSetup-7.1.567, but when I then opened the Emergency Kit, it said I had 1PW 6.

I don't think the Emergency Kit makes reference to any specific 1Password version. But it sounds like maybe you setup the app with a different Master Password previously.

Yes, now I can run the Emergency Kit when I’m in a session, copy and paste my data into websites, but it’s kinda like running a V8 engine on 3 cylinders. So, what am I doing wrong??? 1PW works fine on my other Windows 10 computer (a Surface Pro 4), so I know it works with Windows 10. I really don’t want to have to run the Emergency Kit every time I’m on my iMac.

We don't want you to have to do that either! We'll get you setup with the app, so you don't need to login to the website every time to access your 1Password data. If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report in the 1Password app so we can see how you have things setup, to give you specific instructions on how to proceed:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#GFP-54147-911]

If you’re reading this and you are not Starflyer, this Support ID is for Starflyer only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: GFP-54147-911

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member
    Options

I haven't had a chance to run your diagnostics, but will later today.

Your brought up a point about changing my 1PW id and I did sometime in Jan/Feb '18 while on a road trip. Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure when I got back, that's when my troubles started accessing my iMac with the new password.

However, that doesn't explain why the new 1PW works on my iPhone, iPad, MBA and MS Surface Pro 4. That said, I had all these devices with my in Scottsdale when I changed the 1PW PW. It was about 2 months until I returned home and I think that's when I started getting the red circle of death on the iMac.

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member
    Options

I should add that the iMac was in Seattle and off the entire time I was in Scottsdale so it couldn't sync with the units I was using.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Starflyer: That may be the key. Can you tell me where you changed the Master Password exactly?

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member
    Options

Sure, I changed it in Scottdale if you wanted the physical location. If you want the device I changed it on, it's odds on that it was my MBA although it could have been my MS Surface. Whatever unit I changed it on, all the device I had with me "picked up" on the new PW. That's my iPhone, iPad, MBA and MS Surface.

Not that it matters, but I had a mild security concern in Scottsdale or I wouldn't have changed it. Flash forward about 2 months when we returned home and I couldn't access 1PW on my iMac that was uppowered for the whole time period.

Do you still want the diagnostic report and if so, should I run it on my iMac which I can't access other then with the Emergency Kit or does it matter what I run the report on?

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty

HEY, guess we're done. I apparently solved the problem by going into my working copy of 1PW and then noticing at the top of my PW list, there was an item I've never looked at before, "1Password Account...". Clicking on it, I saw an item about viewing last 1PW password. It was something I would never have guessed. After writing down that old PW, I opened 1PW on my "problem" iMac and ended the old password and NO more red circle of death! I then changed the 1PW PW on my iMac and now I can access it which is all I wanted to do.

I assume the problem occurred because the iMac was unpowered when I changed the master PW and remained unpowered for about 2 months after as well.

Sorry to be such a bother. Get back to work!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Starflyer,

No worries, thanks for letting us know what it was.

I assume the problem occurred because the iMac was unpowered when I changed the master PW and remained unpowered for about 2 months after as well.

Yep, it needs to finish the complete sync before it could work. So, if it wasn't getting any updates for a while, it would've only work with the old password.

I'm glad you're back up and running.

This discussion has been closed.