Changing and Custom Categories!!!

I have been reading the discussion boards, and the hope and prayer of changing categories (and creating new ones) has been loosely dismissed "as a design issue", and not possible. @brenty has been discussing it since 2014 on a variety of posts, I am hoping he may be able to chime in here.

I have been a -mostly- satisfied customer of 1Password for about 3 years now. I am a software developer, system administrator, and cyber security engineer, and have been involved with IT related issues for over 20 years. I understand the back end app designs, and how things are, I can appreciate this perhaps more than anyone. However, for features like this, there are a ton of options out there that can help the customers. Here are a couple off the top of my head:
- A separate mini-app or plugin that does the conversion. Existing architecture not affected
- Automated script of some sort to do the copy and past feature behind the scenes, existing architecture not affected.
- Revisit the implementation, and start a road map to work this into the architecture.

That being said, customers (especially new ones) have been clamoring for this for upwards of 4 years now. I regularly am asked about a good password app, and I have been recommending 1Password. However, there are a lot of competitors in this space, and I am seriously considering taking my business elsewhere because of this!

Are there any plans to address this, or are we writing this off as not possible?

Thank you!

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Andriod, iOS and WinOS
Sync Type: Cloud

Comments

• MikeT
    edited July 2018

Hi @schaput69,

Thanks for writing in.

Custom categories has been a beta feature available for 1Password Teams for a while but as we've gotten more usage out of it, the current implementation turns out to have some side effects we didn't foresee (which is why it is a beta feature in the first place). We're going to have to change it but we don't have a timeframe on when it'll be available for everyone. Some of the internal work we're doing for localization/internalization helps with this as well.

It currently looks like this:

Until we have a proper implementation that works well and is useful, it's not going to be available for everyone soon. Categories conversion is not being worked on nor is it coming any time soon. Many folks are able to work around this by simply creating a blank template field that you can duplicate like this:

1. Create a new Secure Note item as a generic template item, add custom icon, customize it with custom fields you want and add a tag to categorize it. Don't add any values as you'll want to duplicate this for new items.
    2. Duplicate this item when you need to add new items and you can find them again via the tag.
This discussion has been closed.