Key Chain Corrupted?

Hi,

I have 1Password 4 on a W7, a W10, an iPad and an iPhone. The communication is via agilekeychain on Dropbox

The W10 PC bricked in a Windows update, and I had to rebuild it from scratch. I (wrongly, as it turned out) installed 1P 7 on the W10 PC and it converted the Dropbox agilekeychain leaving:

Dropbox.ws.agile.1Password.settings
Dropbox\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain
Dropbox\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain\data
Dropbox\1Password\1Password.legacyagilekeychain
Dropbox\1Password\1Password.legacyagilekeychain\a
Dropbox\1Password\1Password.legacyagilekeychain\config
Dropbox\1Password\1Password.legacyagilekeychain\data
Dropbox\1Password\1Password.opvault
Dropbox\1Password\1Password.opvault\default

1P4 has stopped working on the two Windows machines, but I can open it on the iPhone, where it is disconnected from Dropbox but everything appears to be preserved.

Please advise how I recover.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: W7, W10, iOS 11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @TimothyNathan,

Thanks for writing in. I'm sorry to hear about your PC, I had a few bricks like that in the last year, so I understand the pain.

If you're not planning to upgrade to 1Password 4 on your PC, move the Dropbox > 1Password > 1Password.opvault folder to your desktop.

Uninstall 1Password 7 and install 1Password 4 from the bottom right of our downloads page here: https://1Password.com/downloads/

Once you open 1Password 4, it should open the previous 1Password.agilekeychain vault for you automatically. If not, open the Dropbox > 1Password > 1Password.agilekeychain folder via File Menu > Open 1Password vault.

• TimothyNathan
    TimothyNathan
    Community Member

That didn't work, but it did lead me to discover the "restore from backup" option on my W7 machine, which I did and works on that machine, but not on iOS.

I then deleted and reloaded the iOS App, pointed it at the key chain and it errors com.1password.dropbox.sdk error 5

Can you help with that?

• TimothyNathan
    TimothyNathan
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

I now see that the iOS version is 7 - is that the problem?

Furthermore 1Password 4 doesn't work on W10.

It reports [..]Dropbox\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain is not a 1Password Vault.
    Dropbox is probably busy syncing your 1Password Vault. Please Wait.

(It's not syncing)

• Hi @TimothyNathan,

Try this:

Move Dropbox > 1Password > 1Password.agilekeychain to your desktop as well.

In Dropbox > 1Password directory, rename 1Password.legacyagilekeychain to 1Password.agilekeychain. Wait for Dropbox to finish syncing and then see if 1Password 4 opens it.

Don’t do anything yet with the iOS version, wait until the 1Password 4 is working correctly on the PC before moving on to other devices.

• TimothyNathan
    TimothyNathan
    Community Member

I am afraid the moment for that has passed. I have a working instance of 4 on my W7 machine, that seems to be absolutely fine. The akc is on Dropbox and it is that very file that the W10 implementation cannot read.

I have deleted everything that doesn't work.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TimothyNathan,

1Password 7 for Windows does not support .agilekeychain vaults. If you uninstalled it already, please try to install 1Password 4 for Windows (you can download it from the bottom right of our downloads page, and open your existing .agilekeychain in Dropbox there. Does it work?

Please let us know. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• TimothyNathan
    TimothyNathan
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

I appear to have sorted it out. I simply copied it away from Dropbox, deleted it on Dropbox and copied it back, and it "just worked".

So thank you, it is fixed, but I wish I understood what the problem was.

• MikeT
    edited July 2018

Hi @TimothyNathan,

I'm wondering if when your PC bricked, Dropbox picked up some bad data that is overwriting the restored data because it is newer than the one from your backup. When you restored, did you first remove the old vault in the Dropbox folder?

Before we do anything else, on your working desktop, make sure you back up via the Backup menu > Back up 1Password Vault.

After that;
    1. Go to the File Menu > Repair 1Password Vault.
    2. Unlock 1Password 4, go to the File Menu > Preferences > Security to change your master password (you can change it back later)
    3. Wait for Dropbox to finish syncing everything on both computers. You should see a Up to update message via Dropbox icon in your notification tray area on both computers. See if you can unlock now and if yes, change the master password back.

• TimothyNathan
    TimothyNathan
    Community Member

As I appear to have a working system, I am a little nervous about doing anything to it. Could I do any harm?

• Hi @TimothyNathan,

No, that's why the first thing I've asked you to do is create a backup, it'll copy exactly the same vault as you have on the working system. We have never seen a case where a backup doesn't restore you to a broken state.

If what you do doesn't help, you'd be able to restore to that same backup.

This discussion has been closed.