FRUSTRATION - Changing password with extension

Let me start by saying I LOVE 1Password. It is amazing in almost every way.

My biggest frustration is when I need to update a password on a website and the site asks for the old password and to enter a new password (and re-enter.) The web extension populates the existing password and I then use the extension (within the form) to populate a new password. Problem 1 - the web extension within the password field does not allow you to change the password formula.

So I have the extension generate a new password. When I hit submit, 1Password asks me to save the new password. So I am forced to accept and override the password with the new password BEFORE it is submitted to the website. On multiple occasions, the new password, for whatever reason, is not accepted by the website. So, I am forced to try again. PROBLEM - 1Password has already overridden the old password with the new one that wasn't accepted. Now, this process has gotten much more complicated and FRUSTRATING!

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: X 1.7.3
OS Version: OSX 10.13.5
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Hey @jefftb! I'm glad to hear that 1Password has generally been working very well for you. I appreciate you reaching out to us about this and for letting us know that these types of situations are frustrating for you.

I'd like to first make sure you're aware of a couple of the recovery features 1Password offers when your old password is overwritten after saving the newly generated one. If you view your item on 1Password.com, you should find two options in the item detail view:

• Show Previously Used Passwords
    • View Item History

Both of these options will allow you to view the old password. Now, it would be better to avoid this situation entirely, but I want to make sure you're aware of those two options so that you don't get locked out of your accounts. I'd also like to suggest an alternative approach to changing your passwords when the website has specific requirements:

1. When on the password change form, fill your current password.
    2. Open 1Password X from your browser's toolbar and select Password Generator.
    3. Adjust the generator preferences to adhere to the website's password requirements.
    4. While focused on the "new password" field on the website, click Fill to fill the generated password from the popup.

Following that process should allow for any necessary customizations to your new password before updating your Login item. Along with that, we'll soon be bringing persistent Generator History to the stable version of 1Password X so that you can feel more comfortable about not updating your Login item right away in situations like this.

I hope that helps! Let me know if I can clarify anything further.

• jefftb
    jefftb
    Community Member

Thanks for the tips! Does make it less frustrating, but still an issue. Would be nice if 1Password could confirm password was accepted before saving.

Sort of related, it would be really cool if 1Password knew the password requirements for common sites and if your formula did not meet the requirements, an alert would pop up.

• I'm glad those tips help, @jefftb. We'd love to make 1Password smarter in this regard by only suggesting passwords that meet the website's requirements. That way you could avoid this situation entirely.

• millercentral
    millercentral
    Community Member

A better option might be to not prompt to update the password in the 1Password vault until after the signin page has finished submitting, that way it would be easier to decide to hit "update" or "cancel" based on the result of the change.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure that's something that can be done reliably, but it's worth looking into. :)

• Ashokleyland
    Ashokleyland
    Community Member

Hello,

indeed, and if this is safe, a sticky window waiting for you to confirm your password change would be very nice :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.