Easily Transition from 1Password Mini to 1Password

1Password Mini is convenient to open, using Ctrl + Alt + backslash () keyboard shortcut. But, transitioning to the full 1Password isn't quite as easy as it could be.

Windows has a built in hotkey Win+UpArrow to "move up", "enlarge" or "maximize". Currently this hotkey is rejected by 1Password Mini, and would suggest co-opting it to transition from Mini to regular.

I believe this is important because it's more difficult to manage 1Password from Mini. Things like adding a new item are not available.

Additional feedback: On my machine, using a nearly 4k display and 150% UI scaling, 1Password Mini shows up without enough vertical space to show all of the left side icons. This should be quite a simple fix. Trying to enlarge from a 1px wide grab, every time, is kind of annoying.

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10 Home - 10.0.17134 Build 17134
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

1Password Mini is convenient to open, using Ctrl + Alt + backslash () keyboard shortcut. But, transitioning to the full 1Password isn't quite as easy as it could be.

@benjaminisg: Agreed. :)

Windows has a built in hotkey Win+UpArrow to "move up", "enlarge" or "maximize". Currently this hotkey is rejected by 1Password Mini, and would suggest co-opting it to transition from Mini to regular.

That's a really interesting idea. I'm not sure that will work since 1Password mini isn't a normal windowed app, but that sounds pretty cool. Worth looking into.

I believe this is important because it's more difficult to manage 1Password from Mini. Things like adding a new item are not available.

Hmm. On the other hand, we do want mini to do more as well... ;)

Additional feedback: On my machine, using a nearly 4k display and 150% UI scaling, 1Password Mini shows up without enough vertical space to show all of the left side icons. This should be quite a simple fix. Trying to enlarge from a 1px wide grab, every time, is kind of annoying.

That's not something I've heard of before. Could you take a screenshot? To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• benjaminisg
    benjaminisg
    Community Member

@brenty

Thanks for getting back so quick with open feedback! How refreshing :)

That's a really interesting idea. I'm not sure that will work since 1Password mini isn't a normal windowed app, but that sounds pretty cool. Worth looking into.

For most Windows applications, a non-windowed app is just removing the regular UI elements (like the top bar, resize, scroll, etc) and sometimes overriding the hotkeys. You can see that 1Password Mini is overriding the hotkey by pressing Win+UpArrow a few times quickly, it will "wobble" a bit in place.

Usually there is a single function that accepts the window resize command, and pretty much actively ignores it. In this case that's fine, but if the Win+UpArrow keys are down, then call the same routine for Settings > Show 1Password. (Close and open to new context)

Hmm. On the other hand, we do want mini to do more as well... ;)

True. Comparing the hotkeys for 1Password vs Mini, the missing functionality there such as "Add new" would be fantastic. Then the hotkeys would perform the same across both contexts, which is better UIX than one context missing hotkeys.

That's not something I've heard of before. Could you take a screenshot? To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

I've attached a screenshot. You can see where the mouse cursor is that the button right above it for "Passwords" is clipped.

My best guess is that 1Password Mini isn't taking into account Windows UI scaling when drawing the outer window rectangle. It's pretty easy to miss this, as the UI scale needs to be put pretty much everywhere.

For reference, my display is setup as 3200x1800 with 175% UI scaling. (Right click desktop > Display Settings)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for getting back so quick with open feedback! How refreshing :)

@benjaminisg: You're very welcome! :chuffed:

The irony of longer turn around time on this reply is not lost on me, but I wanted to look into this more before getting back to you. Thanks for your patience! :blush:

For most Windows applications, a non-windowed app is just removing the regular UI elements (like the top bar, resize, scroll, etc) and sometimes overriding the hotkeys. You can see that 1Password Mini is overriding the hotkey by pressing Win+UpArrow a few times quickly, it will "wobble" a bit in place. Usually there is a single function that accepts the window resize command, and pretty much actively ignores it. In this case that's fine, but if the Win+UpArrow keys are down, then call the same routine for Settings > Show 1Password. (Close and open to new context)

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the specifics before, but we were discussing this earlier. The problem is that these are reserved by the OS and only work with the current window. Obviously that's not what anyone wants from 1Password mini! Even if that were possible, what about the opposite? Do we collapse the window or do we go back to mini? If we can even go back... Not sure what the right answer would be even if we could do whatever we want. 1Password is pretty different than most apps in this regard.

We are looking into ways to make it easy to open the main window though. For now, if you pin 1Password to the Task Bar, you'll be able to use the Windows key and the number for its position there to open it quickly. For example, if it's in the third position, Windows 3 will open it.

True. Comparing the hotkeys for 1Password vs Mini, the missing functionality there such as "Add new" would be fantastic. Then the hotkeys would perform the same across both contexts, which is better UIX than one context missing hotkeys.

I'm not sure it can (or should) be the same, but we'll be refreshing 1Password mini in a future update to add more functionality. :)

I've attached a screenshot. You can see where the mouse cursor is that the button right above it for "Passwords" is clipped. My best guess is that 1Password Mini isn't taking into account Windows UI scaling when drawing the outer window rectangle. It's pretty easy to miss this, as the UI scale needs to be put pretty much everywhere. For reference, my display is setup as 3200x1800 with 175% UI scaling. (Right click desktop > Display Settings)

Hmm. This is interesting. We definitely see issues with scaling with some setups, but this isn't something we have direct control over. Are you using multiple displays with different scaling factors? That's where we encounter stuff like this the most. Also, do you have 3rd party display drivers or software controlling the display? I had a lot of trouble when using a 3rd party dock, which had custom driver and management software.

• benjaminisg
    benjaminisg
    Community Member

The irony of longer turn around time on this reply is not lost on me, but I wanted to look into this more before getting back to you. Thanks for your patience! :blush:

No problem. A well considered reply is always better than the most immediate :)

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the specifics before, but we were discussing this earlier. The problem is that these are reserved by the OS and only work with the current window. Obviously that's not what anyone wants from 1Password mini! Even if that were possible, what about the opposite? Do we collapse the window or do we go back to mini? If we can even go back... Not sure what the right answer would be even if we could do whatever we want. 1Password is pretty different than most apps in this regard.

We are looking into ways to make it easy to open the main window though. For now, if you pin 1Password to the Task Bar, you'll be able to use the Windows key and the number for its position there to open it quickly. For example, if it's in the third position, Windows 3 will open it.

I'm aware of the taskbar method, yes and do use this. But, this restricts 1Password to use this type of setup, and the easy to access keys with this method are quite limited. The direct benefit of the 1Password Mini hotkey is that it can be easily opened with a non-conflicting system hotkey.

I understand that the migration between Mini and 1Password is a bit tricky, and just wanted to share my thoughts for your team.

Lets look at it from this angle: What's the purpose of 1Password Mini? To me, it's about quickly accessing your data and doing the small common tasks with that, then not interfering once that task(s) are done. In this case, it works pretty well.

In there, I see two major transitions of scope from 1Password Mini:

1. To remain open for a duration, and utilize the data stored
    2. To a closed/secure state once Mini is not needed any more (not currently implemented, Shift+Esc)
    3. To 1Password full to modify or add new data (not smoothly implemented)

Note that there's no affordance in 1Password to transition to Mini, without using the hotkey. I don't think this is really a common or needed case, either.

The uses case I can think of on Windows for using Win+Arrow, is the Win+Arrows do control window placement, and it would allow administrators to more easily manage the scope of the window. Ex: Win+RightArrow, and Windows would snap the login console to the left as the user felt they needed both open at once.

But, you're correct that the hotkey suggested Win+Arrow might not make sense in this case, depending on how your team views the role of Mini. Possibly in Mini... Cntrl+1 (as in "Control 1Password?) :sunglasses:

• benjaminisg
    benjaminisg
    Community Member

Hmm. This is interesting. We definitely see issues with scaling with some setups, but this isn't something we have direct control over. Are you using multiple displays with different scaling factors? That's where we encounter stuff like this the most. Also, do you have 3rd party display drivers or software controlling the display? I had a lot of trouble when using a 3rd party dock, which had custom driver and management software.

Keeping a different thread for this...

Nope, standard WHQL NVidia drivers, one screen (laptop).

I just experimented with setting my UI scaling to 100%, logging out, and trying again. Same behavior of the bottom icon being cut off, so possibly my theory was incorrect.

• MikeT
    edited July 2018

Hi @benjaminisg,

As you suspected, we do use custom controls for all of our windows, 1Password mini simply has no handler for the shortcut you're referring. In addition, we do have a custom window handling to not support resizing in certain situations such as tablet mode. Windows wants to make mini full screen whenever you go into tablet mode, so we reject that specific transition. That's what you're seeing when it wobbles.

We are going to redesign 1Password mini and it will support the ability to view and edit your items, so that you don't need to keep opening the main interface all the time for tiny changes. It will also support being anchored (Control + O) to remain open until you close it with the Esc shortcut.

More shortcuts for the 1Password mini are on hold until we rebuild our shortcut key registration methods, the custom mini window does not seem to work with any extra shortcuts we add, so we have to fix that first.

As for your screenshot, I don't see any issues there. It is not clipped, it's going behind the Password Generator icon intentionally. It just doesn't have enough height to show all sidebar icons. We've pinned both Password Generator and Settings to always be on the bottom.

• benjaminisg
    benjaminisg
    Community Member

We are going to redesign 1Password mini and it will support the ability to view and edit your items, so that you don't need to keep opening the main interface all the time for tiny changes. It will also support being anchored (Control + O) to remain open until you close it with the Esc shortcut.

That's great news. Usually it's just minor changes I have, such as changing password, URL, etc.

As for your screenshot, I don't see any issues there. It is not clipped, it's going behind the Password Generator icon intentionally. It just doesn't have enough height to show all sidebar icons. We've pinned both Password Generator and Settings to always be on the bottom.

Is it intentional that the user should have to mouse over to the side panel and use the scroll wheel, scroll down to reveal the Passswords icon, then click? Why hide an icon in such a way intentionally?

See my attached screenshot, after I've found the 1px high border to expand the window vertically: Now the "Passwords" key icon is clearly visible with a small white space between the top anchored and bottom anchored icons.

• MikeT
    edited July 2018

Hi @benjaminisg,

Is it intentional that the user should have to mouse over to the side panel and use the scroll wheel, scroll down to reveal the Passswords icon, then click? Why hide an icon in such a way intentionally?

Yes, it is intentional since we want to show the pinned Password Generator and Settings icons always as that's far more commonly used than the Password categories and we have no more space on the sidebar. That's not our default size either, we default to fit all icons but you can reduce height if you want and 1Password will retain that size for you until you resize again.

Now the "Passwords" key icon is clearly visible with a small white space between the top anchored and bottom anchored icons.

Yep, that's normal, we had plans to add Tags there but we haven't gotten to it yet. We have plans to show all categories eventually, which means the sidebar needs to be scrollable. However, we've decided to hold back on that by doing the redesign first. We need to draw some kind of element that you can scroll up and down on the sidebar, like a shadow. We also want to get rid of the pinned icons to move them elsewhere.

• benjaminisg
    benjaminisg
    Community Member

@MikeT

That's not our default size either, we default to fit all icons but you can reduce height if you want and 1Password will retain that size for you until you resize again.

I checked this, and now 1Password Mini is honoring the last size through logoff and reboot. I'm not sure why it was small, and staying small before even though I resized. :shrug: If it's a bug that the size is being lost, I'll try to reproduce and report back.

On a side note... I also learned that Win + Shift + L will lock both 1Password and Mini, which is nice. Note that this hotkey, and a few others like Settings (F9) aren't documented on https://support.1password.com/keyboard-shortcuts/.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

@benjaminisg: Thanks for pointing that out! The global lock shortcut is actually fairly new, so we'll need to update that. Be sure to let us know if you notice anything else like that. :)

I'm glad to hear that the window size is working for you now. We did have an issue with that in an earlier version, so it may have been a holdover from that until you changed it. Anyway, we're here if you need anything else. Cheers! :chuffed:

ref: web/support.1password.com#1598

This discussion has been closed.