Syncing new data via Dropbox.. and.. how to back up vaults locally

Options

Hello,

Two issues:

1. I recently upgraded to 1password7 Individual account from 1password4. I successfully imported vault data from 1password4 and uninstalled 1password4. I was syncing via Dropbox. I made changes to logins in 1password7 on the Windows 10 machine (new URL, passwords, etc). These changes are reflected correctly in 1password7 in Windows and in the 1password extension in Firefox on the Windows machine. However, I cannot see the changes on my Iphone 6+ (IOS). Seems that the sync link "broke" when I upgraded to 7. Help ?

2. In 1password4 I was backing up my vault data locally and on Onedrive. I now believe that the major back up is to 1Password.com servers ? If this is true, how to I "see" that it is actually taking place. How can I back up an additional copy to my Onedrive account ?

Thanks,

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Window 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @1200gs,

Thanks for writing in.

. However, I cannot see the changes on my Iphone 6+ (IOS). Seems that the sync link "broke" when I upgraded to 7. Help ?

Did you sign in to your 1Password account on the iOS device? Every 1Password app you were using before, you have to reconfigure it to point to your 1Password account. Here's our detailed support guide to reconfigure 1Password on each device you're using: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#ios

Once you sign in to your 1Password account, you can then remove the old vault. It won't remove it from Dropbox unless you choose to.

I now believe that the major back up is to 1Password.com servers

Yes, we automatically back up everything for you in the background, so you never need to worry about it. There isn't a dedicated view to see the backups status.

You can use Item History to restore or go back in time for your items like so: https://support.1password.com/item-history/

We do plan to extend this automatic backup feature to let you have a hard copy of your 1Password data but we don't have a timeframe on this.

• 1200gs
    1200gs
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I followed your instructions and my IOS device synced. Where in my IOS or Windows 10 1password settings can I see my choices for syncing, Dropbox, etc ? If I understand you correctly, when I synced my new private vault via dropbox with my IOS device that dropbox has both my old and new private vault stored ? Should I be trying to trash the old private vault from dropbox ? Where would I find it ?

I now understand that my files are being back up by at 1password.com. Can I also back the vault files up locally or on Onedrive ?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @1200gs,

There's no need to configure sync for your 1Password account, what makes 1Password membership awesome is that you don't have to do anything once you sign in; we handle the sync, backup, configuration, etc all in the background as it is stored within your 1Password account.

When you sign in to your 1Password.com account, the data is automatically ready for you. It's hosted with us.

f I understand you correctly, when I synced my new private vault via dropbox with my IOS device that dropbox has both my old and new private vault stored ?

Your 1Password account is not involved with any third party service like Dropbox, you don't have to deal with these services either.

Once you add your 1Password account, you can then remove the old standalone vault that was syncing with Dropbox as the guide suggested, leaving only your 1Password account.

Should I be trying to trash the old private vault from dropbox ?

If you're happy with 1Password.com and wish to stick with it after the free 30-day trial, then you can just archive the vault to your backup drive. You should not delete it but simply move it from your Dropbox folder to your backup drive.

I now understand that my files are being back up by at 1password.com. Can I also back the vault files up locally or on Onedrive ?

At the moment, no but it is an option that'll be added in the future to have a local copy of your 1Password account.

This discussion has been closed.