Migrate from Dropbox to 1Password Families Account for syncing, i.d. where is Primary Vault located?

MarkJinMD
MarkJinMD
Community Member

Last year signed up for 1Password for Families account and migrated data and setup family members with no problem. During the process kept syncing thru Dropbox but I'm looking into moving away from Dropbox and syncing thru our 1Password account. However confused as to where my Primary Vault is actually located. Looking at Dropbox files in Mac Finder it shows my Agile keychain was last modified on January 4th but I've made recent changes in my Vaults including addition of new items today. If I go into 1Password preferences, under Sync, it shows that the Primary Vault is synced with Dropbox and doesn't show an option to use a 1Password account. So how do I tell what location and file is actually used for syncing and how would I go about using our 1Password account instead of Dropbox?

Thanks,
Mark

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @Mark,

That's a great question.

Do you have your 1Password Families account signed in on your Mac? You can check by going to Preferences > Accounts. If it's not there you'll want to add it.

Once you have your 1Password Families account on your Mac, you'll notice that you have multiple vaults: Primary, Personal, and Shared. The Personal vault is meant to replace the Primary vault, it's a vault that only you have access to and you can store all of your items in that vault that you don't want to share with anyone else.

If you haven't migrated your items from your Primary vault to your Personal vault yet, you can do so by:

• Choosing the Primary vault in the vault switcher in the upper left of the main app
    • Choosing 'All Items' in the left sidebar
    • Selecting the first item in the list, then scrolling down to the bottom and shift-clicking to select last item. This will select all items in your vault.
    • Use the Items > Share > Personal > Copy... menu item. This will copy all the items from your Primary vault to your Personal vault

Once that's done, you really have no need for the Primary vault at all. The Personal vault will contain all of your data, and that vault is synced directly with the 1Password.com servers and requires no configuration at all.

To remove the Primary vault, you can go to Preferences > Advanced, and uncheck the checkbox at the bottom for "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts". This will guide you through removing the Primary vault and set you up so that unlocking the app happens with the password from the 1Password Families account.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• terrynorbury
    terrynorbury
    Community Member

This is very close to my situation. But I don't see a 'Personal' vault, but rather a Private, Shared, and the original 'Primary' vault (in Dropbox). I do not know where the Private and Shared vaults reside.
    Also, you did not answer the issue of syncing. When I deleted by 'Primary' vault from Dropbox I quickly got a message from 1Password that there was a problem with the sync to my 'Primary' vault. (That 'Primary' (1password.opvault) file showed no modification for a couple of months prior to deleting it from DropBox.) I have now restored the 'Primary' (1password.opvault) file in Dropbox.
    So, please answer these three questions. 1. Do you mean to call it the 'Private' vault instead of the 'Personal' vault? 2. Shouldn't I delete the 'Primary' vault from DropBox? And, 3. How does the sync work/get set-up after deleting the 'Primary' vault (the preferences don't seem to allow the choice of syncing with 1Password servers)?

Thanks.

• @terrynorbury

1. Do you mean to call it the 'Private' vault instead of the 'Personal' vault?

“Private” and “Personal” are equivalent, and which term is used depends on when your membership was created.

1. Shouldn't I delete the 'Primary' vault from DropBox?

Yes.

And, 3. How does the sync work/get set-up after deleting the 'Primary' vault (the preferences don't seem to allow the choice of syncing with 1Password servers)?

1Password membership based vaults always sync via 1Password.com. There are no options because it isn’t possible to change this.

I do not know where the Private and Shared vaults reside.

These are membership based vaults and as such they reside on 1Password.com with a local cache on any devices that you are signed into your membership on.

Ben

• terrynorbury
    terrynorbury
    Community Member

Thanks. Got it.

• You’re welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.