To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

how to migrate vault from 1password v3 into a new family membership 1PW 7 account?

musicmegga
musicmegga
Community Member

My wife's computer has been running OS 10.6 for some time and using 1PW 3 just fine only on her laptop (not her iPhone).
We just upgraded to 1PW 7 and I opted to go the membership route from the standalone app. (I was running 1PW6 on my laptop and am still running 1PW on my phone - vaults upgraded and migrated fine)
What would be the best procedure to follow to get her data out of 1PW3 vault and into our 1PW7 family membership account? And will she be able to use 1PW membership on her laptop running OS 10.6? (Since we're on membership plan now, would she access her vault from a browser?)
Thanks in advance for your help!

1Password Version: 3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.6.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:migrating vault from 1password 3

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @musicmegga

Unfortunately, you're not going to have a whole lot of luck trying to use a 1Password membership on a device running OS X 10.6, through a web browser or otherwise. 10.6 is old, really old. We are currently on 10.13 which makes 10.6 seven full OS versions out of date. The 1Password web app makes use of some pretty recent technology so you need a rather modern device in order to be able to use it. OS X 10.6 is simply too far out of date and has long since stopped receiving any sort of updates, compatibility, functionality, security or otherwise.

You will need to upgrade to a newer device in order for your wife to make use of your membership.

• musicmegga
    musicmegga
    Community Member

Thanks for the feedback. Is there any way to at least extract the data from the vault. Perhaps she will use 1PW on her iPhone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@musicmegga: Sure! The .agilekeychain vault that 1Password 3 used can be read by any of the 1Password apps. If you put it in Dropbox, she could just setup 1Password on her phone to use that vault:

How to sync 1Password with Dropbox

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• musicmegga
    musicmegga
    Community Member

Happy Fourth Folks! It's a slow process over here in our household getting my wife into the 1Password family. So far I've uploaded her 1PW v3 vault to dropbox. Also, I've installed 1PW onto her iPhone. Oh, I also invited her to join our family membership and she did and I confirmed. But I am not sure how to get her data into her phone.

I have her logged into her family membership on her phone. I turned on Standalone vaults. THEN I could see the Sync with Dropbox. I connected the Dropbox account that has her Vault from 1PW 3. But when I followed the instructions that you linked above, (copied below) for some reason, 1PW is not seeing the .agilekeychain file I just uploaded. Instead, it synced what little was on her phone already. (Which was just the 3 items created by her new family account.)

Can you give me some guidance please on how to proceed? FWIW, the file I uploaded to Dropbox from her computer seems to have been compressed: 1Password.agilekeychain.zip - should I uncompress it? Thanks!

_Sync your Primary vault with Dropbox
    If you’re opening 1Password for the first time, choose the option to sync with Dropbox and follow the onscreen instructions. If you’ve already set up 1Password:

Open and unlock 1Password.
    Tap Settings > Sync > Primary, then tap Start Syncing.
    Tap Sync with Dropbox. Then sign in to Dropbox, or tap Allow to allow 1Password to connect to your Dropbox account.
    Tap the name of your Dropbox account. 1Password will display a list of vaults in your Dropbox account.
    Tap the name of a vault to sync with it. If no vaults are listed, tap Create File to sync your first vault with Dropbox.
    Enter the password for the vault, then tap Unlock._

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@musicmegga

The keychain file being zipped up would absolutely have something to do with it. You will want to uncompress it in order for things to work out. Unzip the file and then try pointing 1Password to sync with it.

This discussion has been closed.