1Password Version: 7.0.6
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• rudy
    Options

@donmontalvo,

I just downloaded the referenced update and it seems to work fine here. Did you move the application from its disk image to your /Applications folder?

• donmontalvo
    donmontalvo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rudy, thanks for the response.

Yes as per Apple guidelines all software is installed into /Applications folder.

Can’t imagine any reason anyone would install elsewhere.

With that said, if conditions don’t match desired state, test results would be inconclusive.

Did you download the Extended Service Release (ESR) version?

• rudy
    Options

@donmontalvo,

Indeed I did. The best way to narrow down the reason its not working for you would be for you to send in a diagnostics report that I can take a look at.

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• rudy
    Options

@donmontalvo

I've sent you a reply via email, let us know if that solves it for you.

• donmontalvo
    donmontalvo
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Um, no, unfortunately. Are we confusing "launched from DMG" with "application is not signed"?

Take a moment to view this short clip...if there still any notion that the application is being launched from a DMG. ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7vjikykjoqirzuu/AACIfX0IkxTfbXbFUrLiqQwga?dl=0

1Password's error dialog is pretty self explanatory....

Firefox ESR (which stands for Extended Support Release) is designed to be managed, so it can not be signed (managing that browser means altering its state). Perhaps you downloaded the public version of Firefox?

• donmontalvo
    donmontalvo
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

I should mention 1Password updated to 7.0.7 last night, didn't fix the problem.

In any case, Firefox ESR 60.1.0 is launched from /Applications/Firefox.app and 1Password 7 still no worky.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• rudy
    edited July 2018
    Options

@donmontalvo,

Nope, we're not confusing the two. I reviewed your logs. The copy that's connecting to 1Password may appear to be in /Applications, but its being AppTranslocated by the OS. I would recommend quitting Firefox, deleting the copy that's in /Applications to get the system to forget about the AppTranslocated copy, reboot the machine and then re-install Firefox.

• MrRooni
    Options

@donmontalvo To follow on from what @rudy was saying, I'd throw in a good ol' fashioned reboot of your system as well. Let us know how you make out.

• MrRooni
    Options

Whoop, I see Rudy updated his post and also recommended a reboot. We have consensus!

• donmontalvo
    donmontalvo
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Ugh...fine...done...same...no worky.

Send me a remote session invite, happy to show you.

• donmontalvo
    donmontalvo
    Community Member
    Options

PS, I did remove /Applications/Firefox.app and I rebooted, before trying again. ;)

• rudy
    edited July 2018
    Options

@donmontalvo,

I can't be certain if its going to still be at the same location or not, but in the prior configuration you had when you sent in your Diagnostics Report, Firefox was located at /private/var/folders/6j/05ny_r_d7910q7x89y5qw48ht40pqs/T/AppTranslocation/724AFA63-BB1B-43CA-8A25-D2BF1CA467B2/d/

you should be able to see the current location by typing the df command in Terminal.app; it should show up pretty obviously with the AppTranslocation in its path.

• donmontalvo
    donmontalvo
    Community Member
    Options

Irish, the screenshot clearly diaputes that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I offered to do a remote session to show you.

We are paying for Teams, so this should t be dismissed.

• rudy
    edited July 2018
    Options

@donmontalvo,

Definitely not dismissing your inquiry.. If you're referring to the /private/tmp screenshot as proof, that's not the path I pasted.

if you run xattr /Applications/Firefox.app in Terminal, does it print out "com.apple.quarantine" ?

if it does:

quit Firefox
    run this in terminal xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Firefox.app
    Launch Firefox

Did you happen to move the Firefox.app to your /Applications folder some way other than using the Finder?

• donmontalvo
    donmontalvo
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Ah, my bad, attached the wrong image:

# xattr /Applications/Firefox.app
    # 

We deploy to many thousands Macs, so as you can imagine we script things. We use a script to mount the downloaded Firefox DMG, copy it to /Applications, then we mount our MSB/CIS DMG containing our CCK management settings, copying the files/folders to the appropriate subdirectories.

Not sure how AppTransport or even quarantine would factor into any of this, since we set owner to root:admin for apps we package for deployment to Mac users.

So copying is scripted, and permissions are what we need it to be to satisfy MSB/CIS security requirements.

• rudy
    Options

@donmontalvo,

You'll definitely want to add xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Firefox.app to your post-download script if you're downloading the dmg to each machine, mounting it and using a script to copy it to the /Applications folder. Apple added AppTranslocation in 10.13, which is a means of protecting users from malicious downloads. In the background it copies the application to a read-only disk image that gets mounted at one of the paths off of /private/var/folders any time you launch it. Under normal circumstances that quarantine bit gets removed when the user drags the application from the ~/Downloads folder to their Applications folder, but as you said, you're copying it out using a script. We had a similar experience with users that were using PathFinder instead of Finder.app. The owner/group on the App bundle doesn't enter into the calculation because the quarantine flag is an extended attribute.

root:admin is just fine for the permissions, so no worries there.

If you want to launch Firefox and 1Password and attempt to use them so that it generates communication attempts and then generate another Diagnostics Report I can check on the current configuration and see if AppTranslocation is still a problem for your particular configuration.

• donmontalvo
    donmontalvo
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome, added the xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Firefox.app command to the bottom of our script, tested on several LAB Macs (10.12.6 and 10.13.5) and didn't run into any problems.

1Password is working fine now. Thanks for wrestling through this, you guys rock!

• rudy
    Options

@donmontalvo,

:) :+1:

Let us know if you run into any other issues and we'll be glad to help.

This discussion has been closed.