Purchased a Family Account. What happens when I invite an existing Subscriber.

morgsd
morgsd
Community Member

Hello,

My partner already has a 1Password Subscription. What happens when I try to invite her to the 1Password Family account I just set up?

Thanks
Morgs

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:inviting

Comments

• Hi @morgsd,

Assuming your partner accepts and sets up an account within your membership then she will have two accounts: one under her membership, and one under your membership. If the intention is to only have one account after she has moved her data into the account within your membership she can delete her membership.

Thanks.

Ben

• Bill_Lee
    Bill_Lee
    Community Member

What happens if the person who you invite has a standalone account, not a subscription account? Can they still have and use their standalone account as well as access to the Family account?

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

@Bill_Lee

Yes, they can use both.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@Bill_Lee

Yep, you can use a standalone vault at the same time as having a membership linked to the app. There are some peculiarities that you need to be aware of when doing that, such as 1Password requiring the Master Password of the standalone vault in order to unlock and only things within the membership vault syncing through the membership or getting any of the membership benefits, but it can be done.

• Bill_Lee
    Bill_Lee
    Community Member

OK, thanks.

I used to have a standalone licence for 1Password (data stored on Dropbox) and got my brother to get a similar one for himself, but I recently moved to a Family subscription so I could share Passwords with my elderly mother. I have sent my brother an invite as a Family member, but he hasn't yet accepted and I just needed to know beforehand whether there were issues of him running his individual account that was stopping him. Yes, I could have called him up, but he's a very busy man and this shared access is of relatively low importance in his life right now.

I would put up my hand for requesting having a local emergency copy of my Vaults on a specified place just in case something catastrophic happened - including a meteor strike on AgileBits servers and backups. This is why I used to keep my 1Password data on Dropbox - knowing it was encrypted and probably safe there as well as being able to make copies of this encrypted file to store in other places. I just have this distant concern about AgileBits because I have worked in computing all my life and seen catastrophes in data backups/restores as well as in companies suddenly folding. I don't think AgileBits will have either of those problems now or in the near future, but who knows what might happen twenty years from now. I have learnt from bitter experience that it doesn't hurt to be very paranoid about an ephemeral commodity like bits and bytes. The emergency copy doesn't have to be kept in perfect sync, but would also exist to keep track of everything that should be kept track of: I have 700+ items in my vault, with over 300 entries for old & new software licences and 200+ logins - 1Password is my memory of all this stuff.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018

@Bill_Lee

Even a meteor strike taking out our servers wouldn’t cause you to lose access to your 1Password data. It would prevent further syncing from happening, but your data is all cached locally. You can see evidence of this by turning on Airplane Mode and then launching 1Password... you’ll still be able to access your data. Using Dropbox doesn’t do any more to protect your data in this case. That said we are working on a local backup option in addition to the local cache.

Ben

• Bill_Lee
    Bill_Lee
    Community Member

Yes, sorry I didn't want to sound disparaging to you guys at AgileBits or the company itself. The very fact that I've upgraded to a Family subscription shows my faith in your company and your 1Password product. I probably have more at stake than you in my trust in your security and your keeping my private stuff private. I understand the cache stuff - but have that tiny concern that if one day my cache is cleared because my account thinks there is nothing in any Vaults of mine online and syncs up with that - then no matter what I do at my end the data could be gone. That's why my feature request for a local backup option. Cheers, Bill.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No problem. :) Thanks for the feedback!

• annaschmitz
    annaschmitz
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Great post.

• :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.