Can't generate new password for a site with v7.05

Dennis Fahringer
Dennis Fahringer
Community Member
edited July 2018 in Mac

I'm on a Mac with the latest macOS, 10.13.5 and the latest version of Safari. I need to generate a new login password for my Facebook account. I'm used to using 1Password v6. I couldn't find any way from the top menu icon for 1Password or in the 1Password for Mac app to generate new passwords as I could with v6. I've looked everywhere. I Googled for help and found this link. https://support.1password.com/change-website-password/ But I can't find any sidebar that makes possible generating a new password to replace my old one. And until I can discover how to do this, I'm locked out of my Facebook app because someone thousands of miles away tried to get into my Facebook account today.

1Password Version: 7.04
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.13.5
Sync Type: ICloud
Referrer: forum-search:Can't generate new password for a site

ref: QGT-14839-379

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dennis Fahringer: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry to hear that! That guide (and accompanying video) is for using the 1Password desktop extension in the browser to generate strong passwords. Make sure you have that installed first:

https://1password.com/browsers/

From there, you can open 1Password mini by clicking the "keyhole" toolbar button in your browser (or pressing ⌘ ⌥ \) and select the Password Generator:

Just follow the guide to change your password on the website and in your saved login, and let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• Dennis Fahringer
    Dennis Fahringer
    Community Member

Thanks for your help, Brenty! I don't know how I could have missed seeing this, except that with v6 when I went to the top Menu bar icon for 1Password, the Password Generator was in the drop-down menu from it. (That seems to have changed now with v7.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! It is a bit of a layout change, and you did exactly the right thing reaching out. I think you'll get used to it in no time, but if you have any other questions at all we're here for you. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.