Usability Improvements 1Password Mini

Options

Hi,

just started using 1Password 7 on Windows (Upgraded from 4.0) and loving it. But two things popped immediately into my mind during the first usecases:

1. I am used to open the main application by clicking on the system try icon. Now it opens up the mini version on left click and a context menu with right click (which gives you the desired option, but you have to do another click). I was never a big fan of the mini-version (used in on the Mac and found it confusing), but I actually seems nice in this version and I will give it a try. Nethertheless, maybe you could implement a double-click to open the main application?

2. More important: I would like to copy a password to the clipboard by left clicking the entry in the mini-app. Right-clicking it, navigating the password sub-menu and then hitting "Copy" is too far away for me. Since the current functionality (open the login-url I guess) maybe useful for others, I would suggest making this an option.

Thanks for version 7 (and the stand-alone-license), keep up the good work!
Matthias

P.S.: While purchasing my license I wondered why you make it so hard to purchase stand-alone-licenses. It's obvious that you want to sell the subscription, but since some of your customers do not want this and you kindfully respect this: Why not even a link on the web page? It was quite difficult purchasing a second license after activating the first one (no link in the app) ...

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 18.03
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I am used to open the main application by clicking on the system try icon. Now it opens up the mini version on left click and a context menu with right click (which gives you the desired option, but you have to do another click). I was never a big fan of the mini-version (used in on the Mac and found it confusing), but I actually seems nice in this version and I will give it a try. Nethertheless, maybe you could implement a double-click to open the main application?

@MatthiasL: Glad to hear you're enjoying 1Password 7! "Double-click to open" is something I'd love too, but it's problematic because of timing. Notification icons don't have separate click/doble-click actions. If 1Password waits to see if you're going to click a second time, the won't be responsive to single clicks. So we've made Ctrl click do this instead. It's something we'll continue to evaluate, but let me know if that helps.

More important: I would like to copy a password to the clipboard by left clicking the entry in the mini-app. Right-clicking it, navigating the password sub-menu and then hitting "Copy" is too far away for me. Since the current functionality (open the login-url I guess) maybe useful for others, I would suggest making this an option.

I think it really depends on a lot of factors, but that's a good point. We'll see how we can improve it in the future. We also want to add keyboard shortcuts to do that and many other things.

Thanks for version 7 (and the stand-alone-license), keep up the good work!

Hey, thanks for your support! We couldn't do what we do without you and the rest of our awesome customers. :chuffed:

P.S.: While purchasing my license I wondered why you make it so hard to purchase stand-alone-licenses. It's obvious that you want to sell the subscription, but since some of your customers do not want this and you kindfully respect this: Why not even a link on the web page? It was quite difficult purchasing a second license after activating the first one (no link in the app) ...

We don't make it "hard" at all: it's just a few clicks to buy a license! But certainly we want memberships to be the default option since they offer the experience that most people expect: using 1Password seamlessly across all devices. But we announced it on our website, linked to the new version there so people could get it, and anyone who sets it up with a local vault will be prompted to purchase a license. We just don't want people buying a license accidentally (this happens) when they don't need to. We know that some of our customers prefer that option though, which is why we put the time and energy is building local vault support into the new app, since that had to be done from scratch. Just keep in mind that a single license entitles you to use that version on all of your PCs. If you've bought a second license by mistake, be sure to send us the details at sales@1password.com so we can help. :)

• MatthiasL
    MatthiasL
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ctrl + Click on the tray icon is just perfect! Hope I remember that shortcut ... ;-)

Regarding the license part, you maybe got me wrong. I did not buy a second license by mistake, I even bought a third and fourth license on purpose :-) We love 1Password and my colleagues wanted to use it too, so I gladly bought some more. Difficulty was after activating my license, my application did not give me the link to shop more licenses. In the end, the first colleague installing the new version passed me the link and I selected the amount needed. Just thought this could be made easier for this kind of scenarios (Normally I would search a link on the website).

Local vaults synchronizable with Dropbox were the feature that brought us to you and is what is keeps us using your product. So we are happy that you decided to complete the efforts in order make it work in current versions!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MatthiasL: Ah, thank you for clarifying. Indeed, I misunderstood. There is a dropdown on the purchase page for buying more than one license, but I'm sorry for the trouble there. I'm glad to hear that you folks are enjoying 1Password, and we're here if you ever need us. Thanks for your support! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.