"Password" category: purpose, usage

siplhium
siplhium
Community Member

First, I really wish there was an easier way to find basic information about some of 1Password's features. There doesn't seem to be a user guide. Or if there is, it's virtually impossible to find. Just a bunch of "Getting Started" stuff, none of which I find very helpful, since I am not getting started. Even a search for "categories" in the forum is pretty useless. So I'm forced to come to the forum and ask a question. My question is: what is the "password" category for, and how does the program use it? What's the difference between "passwords' and "logins"? It almost seems as if passwords is an ongoing log, but of course the number of items keeps going up and up...until....? Can someone please explain this? And why doesn't Agile Bits put together a basic guide to all of the features? Or, if you have one, show me where it is. It could just be a quick reference and people could quickly find things out without necessarily going to the forum.

1Password Version: 7x
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.3
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@siplhium:

Just a bunch of "Getting Started" stuff, none of which I find very helpful, since I am not getting started.

I have to agree with you. I do not think there is yet sufficient, detailed documentation about 1Password 7 on the AgileBits' website. If there were I'd hope it might lead to rather fewer "lost" people on this forum.

My question is: what is the "password" category for, and how does the program use it?

The Passwords category (the use of which has not in fact changed since 1Password 6—and probably earlier) is used for items which have 1Password generated passwords but are not linked to a specifically saved Login item which uses the same URL.

Stephen

• siplhium
    siplhium
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

That may well be the case, but it feels like what's in there is a pile of useless password that mostly belongs in the trash. I have not purposely designated 200-plus items as "passwords", and 1Password doesn't asks me whether it should save them. If they keep getting created automatically, the list keeps growing and can become a management problem. And it's confusing to less experienced or computer-savvy users, because many have the same title as Login Items, but they may have the wrong password or wrong web url. So what you have is a list of "dirty" data that is just as likely to confuse as to help. And there's no way to hide them. Maybe there's some benefit to this, too, but it feels like it's out of my control. And AgileBits seems to say nothing about it anywhere.

Stephen_C wrote:

The Passwords category (the use of which has not in fact changed since 1Password 6—and probably earlier) is used for items which have 1Password generated passwords but are not linked to a specifically saved Login item which uses the same URL.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Hi @siplhium, a lot of common questions and topics have accompanying support articles that can be searched here. In the event that you do not find an answer to your question and would like to see a support article for it, please let us know and we will work on adding it :smile:.

As for your password category question, Stephen_C's answer pretty much nails it. If you would like more details, Rob provides a great answer in this forum post.

Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:.

• siplhium
    siplhium
    Community Member

Hi JadC, I tried searching for articles, but came up empty. That's probably because it's not a common question. The answer provided by Rob in the post you cite (I don't know how you found it) confirms what I expected. AgileBits doesn't really know what to do with this. ABut it's been left in in lieu of not knowing what else to do with it. If "passwords" are mostly a safety net, I suggest that they be hideable, because it causes user confusion, which leads to more stress for an admin. Then at least I can explain to users that it's sort of a "running log" that they don't need to use except under unusual circumstances. Or, if you still want to retain a "Password" category, stop dumping unlinked passwords in there automatically, and create a real log that's not a category, but can be viewed when needed.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

@siplhium thanks for the feedback. We are slowly in the process of phasing out the "Password" category, but it will take some time for all our clients to adopt the new standards :smile:. But rest assured, we are working to remove this confusion.

• siplhium
    siplhium
    Community Member

Phasing out? 8-) At any rate, I'm glad to hear that the confusion has been acknowledged and is being acted upon. That's all I wanted to know.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

@siplhium haha, that is what I meant, my bad. If you are curious and use 1Password X, the new Password Generator history feature introduced in version 1.8 is meant as the replacement for the Password category "safety net". The rest of the platforms must adopt it before we can call the category "phased out".

• rkdietz
    rkdietz
    Community Member

Found this article as I'm trying out 1P for features functionality; I was too confused about logins vs passwords. At first I assumed Passwords was some password history for a related login...but apparently not.

That said; I'm trying 1Password in April of 2020; so nearly 2 years now and the "Password Category" has not been phased out?

This really makes me wonder the rate of change and/or new features to be added to 1Password.

I found a help article indicating I could see password history by clicking "Item / Password History". Well, not sure where; but that is no on the Windows client.

Keeper Security makes this dead simple. Just saying.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rkdietz:

At first I assumed Passwords was some password history for a related login...but apparently not.

In a way, that is also one of its uses, in that the password generator stores there the passwords it generates there, in case you need to go back to a previously-generated one. But like every other category in 1Password, you can not use it if you don't like it or find a need for it.

This really makes me wonder the rate of change and/or new features to be added to 1Password.

You can see the entire 1Password changelog, including the dates in which the updates were released, on our changelog page.

I found a help article indicating I could see password history by clicking "Item / Password History". Well, not sure where; but that is no on the Windows client.

You can see it at the bottom of that Login item, in the 1Password for Windows app:

• rkdietz
    rkdietz
    Community Member

you may have a different (beta perhaps?) version of the Windows app; or perhaps the Mac client. Version 7.4.767 only shows "Show web form details".

• @rkdietz

The item in that screenshot doesn't have a 'show previously used passwords' button because 1Password is unaware of any previously used passwords for it. We only show that button when there is data to show. You don't have any history because the item hasn't been modified since it was created (last modified == created). If you edit the item, change the password field, and then save it... then the 'show previously used passwords' button should show up, and the password that had been saved prior to the edit should show up under it.

Ben

• rkdietz
    rkdietz
    Community Member

Fair enough; I pulled up the incorrect entry. Thank you @ag_ana and @Ben for the help.

• Thanks for the update @rkdietz. Glad to hear that explanation helped. :)

Ben

• tjnova
    tjnova
    Community Member

I created a password and that time/date is captured in the entry. However, I think I mistakenly altered something about that password entry about an hour later and that event is captured by a "last modified" timestamp. However, there is no "view password history" button. If I opened the edit function and saved without any changes would the "last modified" create a new timestamp?

My real problem is that I created a password for a website and then apparently altered that password in 1PW somehow. The pw saved in 1PW no longer works on the website.

BTW this is on a Mac running the latest MacOS.

thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tjnova:

If I opened the edit function and saved without any changes would the "last modified" create a new timestamp?

No, the timestamp only changes if you make actual changes to the item.

My real problem is that I created a password for a website and then apparently altered that password in 1PW somehow. The pw saved in 1PW no longer works on the website.

If you have a 1Password membership, you can restore the previous version of the password using the item history feature. If you don't have a membership, I suggest to go through the password recovery feature of the website.

This discussion has been closed.