Will 1Password X eventually deprecate the regular browser extensions?

Options

So I've been using 1Password X for Chrome since earlier this year. I tend to use it for a while, then switch back to the regular extension now and then when I find it frustrating.

Honestly, I like the old extension better for a number of reasons. First, I find the editor, which opens a new tab at my.1password.com a slow and suboptimal user experience. Second, 1Password X seems to leave me in the lurch on some things which should "just work" - mostly using the password generator to update existing passwords. It will update the password then fail to offer me the option to save/update, which leaves me with a new password set but no update to my 1Password entry. So I find myself generating the password with 1Password manually, then I copy it out to a text file, then paste it back into the web site so I guarantee I don't "lose" this new PW.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So I've been using 1Password X for Chrome since earlier this year. I tend to use it for a while, then switch back to the regular extension now and then when I find it frustrating.

@jgerry: I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm glad you got in touch. We can help. :)

Honestly, I like the old extension better for a number of reasons. First, I find the editor, which opens a new tab at my.1password.com a slow and suboptimal user experience.

I hear you. We would like to add editing capabilities to 1Password X. But we need to be careful. Since 1Password X is entirely self-contained with no native app to rely on, we don't want to add too much to 1Password X and make it slow. So we're relying on the 1Password.com web interface for editing for now, since that's also already built (and fairly full-featured). But we'll keep working to make 1Password X even more convenient to use. :)

Second, 1Password X seems to leave me in the lurch on some things which should "just work" - mostly using the password generator to update existing passwords. It will update the password then fail to offer me the option to save/update, which leaves me with a new password set but no update to my 1Password entry. So I find myself generating the password with 1Password manually, then I copy it out to a text file, then paste it back into the web site so I guarantee I don't "lose" this new PW.

While I'd say definitely let us know the websites where you run into issues so we can try to help, when you do run into an issue like that the Generator History in 1Password X can be a big help. You really don't need to copy and paste to/from a(n insecure!) text file!

Now, to answer the question you posed, I think it might be cool down the road to sort of take the best from 1Password X and our desktop extensions and merge them into something that will be even better all around, but I think it's too early to say for sure. Meanwhile we'll keep improving both with each update. Thanks for your feedback! :chuffed:

• jgerry
    jgerry
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the response! I'll keep trying it, I didn't know about the Generator History, that's huge and welcome.

I feel weird spamming you guys with every place it doesn't work quite right, I have 800+ entries currently after 11 years of use, and I make software for a living. I just kind of live with it, but I appreciate your response. This is why I stay with you guys, you're the best!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jgerry: Hey, we appreciate the restraint! :lol: But the only way we'll ever even know about issues with many sites (there's a whole world out there!) is if users let us know. So while I don't want to encourage you to dump a spreadsheet on me, certainly the ones that are the biggest pain points for you are probably worth sharing so we can look into them. :)

I always suggest a similar approach for people new to 1Password who are overwhelmed by the prospect of saving logins for everything from scratch, and changing passwords to make them stronger: instead of trying to do it all at once, start with the most important or frequently used ones and work from there.

So, thank you so much for the kind words! But also the next time you run into an issue that's particularly troublesome to your workflow, let us know the specifics so we can look into it. I can't promise we'll have a solution (e.g. iframes are such a pain!), but we may. And at the very least we could learn something to help improve 1Password for you and everyone else in the future. Cheers! :)

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Community Member
    Options

Feedback: I personally like that 1Password X comes up right by the browser extension, just like the standard browser extension used to. The current browser extensions for Safari on Mac tend to open up just in the middle of the screen the same as 1Password mini does (so it doesn't even feel like a browser extension).

I wonder what benefit the current browser extension in Safari on Mac gives over 1Password mini?

I also like when the copy is a larger sized button closer to (more adjacent to) the OTP itself like in 1Password X, as opposed to when it is displayed as cascading style sheets as in the standard browser extensions and as in how it is shown in 1Password for Windows. This comes in especially handy when needing to paste in the OTP.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Feedback: I personally like that 1Password X comes up right by the browser extension, just like the standard browser extension used to. The current browser extensions for Safari on Mac tend to open up just in the middle of the screen the same as 1Password mini does (so it doesn't even feel like a browser extension).

@chazzunokuthunuchtec: That's an interesting perspective. In fact, when you use the desktop browser extensions with 1Password for Mac (or Windows), what you're seeing isn't a browser extension at all; it's the app. The extension just allows it to integrate with the browser and interact with it. And since the native 1Password app isn't confined to the browser (you can open 1Password mini at any time, even with no browser running, to access your data), I think it makes sense that it isn't visually confined to the browser either — sort of like how you can bring up Spotlight with a keyboard shortcut to search, regardless of the context. :)

I wonder what benefit the current browser extension in Safari on Mac gives over 1Password mini?

Hopefully my explanation above helps, but for all intents and purposes, 1Password mini (which is really just part of the app) is what you see and interact with.

I also like when the copy is a larger sized button closer to (more adjacent to) the OTP itself like in 1Password X, as opposed to when it is displayed as cascading style sheets as in the standard browser extensions and as in how it is shown in 1Password for Windows. This comes in especially handy when needing to paste in the OTP.

Hmm. Could you please clarify what you're describing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.