Search within a Secure Note

David Gustavson
David Gustavson
Community Member

I can't figure out how to search for some text inside a Secure Note.
If I use the usual Search field, it looks inside all the Secure Notes and lists the ones that contain that text.
However, it doesn't show WHERE in the Note the text is!
My Notes are many screen windows long, and finding the text so I can edit it or copy it requires a Find where the computer does the searching and then hilites the found item inside the Note for me.
How do I do that in 7?

1Password Version: 7.04
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.5
Sync Type: subscription

Comments

• tim_stclair
    tim_stclair
    Community Member

I'm primarily using the notes field for logins because I have a login for a server (e.g. its ssh user) and then a whole lot of passwords for services and such on that server. I don't want to enter them all as logins, since they are service passwords and such, and related to the one login that I use for the server. But when I use the search feature to find a word I need such as "mysql" it only searches for item names by default and I have to press a specific button "expand search fields" every time. I want that on by default, or an option to have it search all fields by preference. 1Pmini is next to useless because it doesn't search any of the fields I put data in.

1Password Version: 6.8.7
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 10.12.6
    Sync Type: icloud
    Referrer: forum-search:Feature request: search all fields

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018

@tim_stclair: You can use "Search All Fields" to do this:

Just click the "magnifying glass" icon to open the search options, and 1Password will also remember this setting, which persists in mini as well. I find it makes it easier for me to find things that I've given stupid, unhelpful names, since expanding the search scope gives me a greater chance for "hits" when looking for something. Cheers! :)

• tim_stclair
    tim_stclair
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Wow, I've have never thought of that. There's no visual feedback on the item (e.g. change cursor or even go from grey to black - although there's a tiny tiny smoosh next to the magnifying glass that I previously assumed was dirt on my screen - it's like one single pixel on a 5K imac). Fantastic - this now searches the notes field, where I keep most things.

And there's search options! Any way to search for items that don't have any tag set?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Wow, I've have never thought of that. There's no visual feedback on the item (e.g. change cursor or even go from grey to black - although there's a tiny tiny smoosh next to the magnifying glass that I previously assumed was dirt on my screen - it's like one single pixel on a 5K imac). Fantastic - this now searches the notes field, where I keep most things.

@tim_stclair: Sorry about that! I think it's usually called an "arrow" or "disclosure", to indicate there's something to be displayed if you interact with it. Glad that helps! Having a 5K iMac is not a problem I've had, so I'll take your word for it. ;)

And there's search options! Any way to search for items that don't have any tag set?

Yep! Click "Show Search Options" and set "Number of tags" to "0":

Cheers! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@David Gustavson - thanks for writing in. Try ⌘F (command + F) -- see if that gets you where you want to be. :)

• ash_clarity
    ash_clarity
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Are 'Search all fields' and search options available to Windows users and Chrome extension users? I can't see them.

As I have also created a Windows specific post for this here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

@ash_clarity: That's not a function that the extensions serve, but we'll be bringing more advanced search options to the new Windows app. This is a discussion about a 1Password for Mac feature, in the Mac category of the forum, though.

• tehorixilaqe
    tehorixilaqe
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Hello. Search All Fields doesn't help me. I save some logins in Secure Notes. In 1Password 6, if i needed one, i searched for the Secure Notes Name. Then i had to click on it (a bit anoying) and could then use cmd f (on a macOS Computer) to search within this Secure Note for a specific line. This doesn't work with Search All Fields.

• griffinYing
    griffinYing
    Community Member

Command + F did not work for me, but opening the Secure Note in Edit mode, and using 1P Toolbar Edit > Find > Find does work to highlight specific text in the note. :) Most options for Find are grayed out if not in edit mode.

• Indeed. At the moment searching within the contents of a note (and having the result be highlighted) is only available in edit mode. We do hope to improve that.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.