1P v7 - Can No Longer Copy / Paste Details [Can't select portion of text in notes; investigating]

Options
IscariotJ
IscariotJ
Community Member
edited July 2018 in Mac

Since upgrading to v7 ( v7.0.7 is my currently installed version ) I've noticed that I can no longer selectively copy / paste from within the 1P app ( some logins have additional info, which I store in the Note field, though the restriction isn't limited to Note fields ). The only way I can manage it, is to edit the item, and then cancel the change once I'm done.

Is there something that I need to enable / change to re-enable this?

This doesn't apply to Secure Notes, just fields in other item types.

Thanks

John

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• chadseld
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi John,

Can you elaborate further? Any item in the detail view should be copiable by hovering the mouse until you see a "Copy" rectangle around it. For note fields, you should be able to select a region of text and Command-C to copy. If you are seeing something different, we need to investigate.

• IscariotJ
    IscariotJ
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Yes, I see the copy rectangle if I hover, but in v6 I used to be able to select any portion of the text of any field - including note fields - and just Cmd-C....

Thanks

John

• huh, that's odd. I don't remember it ever being an option in version 6. I should have always worked that way. The exception being Secure Note items and the Notes field of regular items.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

For anyone else reading this thread there does appear to have been another report of this behaviour here.

I confirm the report. If I add a note to a Login item, for example, it is impossible to select a part of that note to copy unless I edit the item.

Stephen

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There is another report of this bug here and I can confirm it (see the linked thread).

Stephen

• lchngr
    lchngr
    Community Member
    Options

We have the same issue here. We have version 7.0.7 installed. We are pretty sure that it work with earlier 7.0.x versions.

Stefan

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks. Thanks for the reports. I've merged a couple of threads here. We'll be investigating. :)

Ben

• IscariotJ
    IscariotJ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, guys. If there’s anything I can do, just let me know....

• Ben
    Options

Will do.

Ben

• davidjen
    davidjen
    Community Member
    Options

For quite a few vault items, I keep additional info in the Notes field so that I can copy/paste those if needed. But in v7.x, this regressed, I can no longer select individual words within the Notes field. Only workaround is to make the item editable via the "Edit" button, but that leaves that item open to unintended changes.

1Password Version: 7.1.BETA-0 (70100000)
    OS Version: macOS 10.13.5
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@davidjen: Do you mean specifically in 1Password mini? I don't see anyone else mention that in this discussion, but that's the only place where I'm not able to copy individual words. Let me know.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty if I have a note in a Login item (as I do, in several) it is impossible to select part only of that note for copying in either 1Password mini or in the main app. The only way to do it is to first put the relevant item into edit mode.

I'm using 1Password 7.1.BETA-0 as a standalone app, synchronising with WLAN and running macOS 10.13.6.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Stephen_C: Ah! Thank you! I totally missed that. I see what you mean. It looks like there may be separate issues then. Sometimes I can select text (seemingly if I scroll to the bottom — makes no sense to me either), but copying is still problematic. We'll get this fixed.

ref: apple-1754

• davidjen
    davidjen
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: yep, in the app itself (not mini-app), as @Stephen_C confirmed as well earlier. Thx for fixing this

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

• ChiliPalmer
    ChiliPalmer
    Community Member
    Options

In some update recently, I've lost the ability to copy only a part of a note section without editing the login item.

I frequently want to copy a security answer, and previously I had just double-clicked the word in the notes of a login item.

Now, that copies the whole note section.

I found the previous functionality much more useful.

1Password Version: 7.0.7
    OS Version: Not Provided

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@ChiliPalmer please see this recent thread where the issue has been aired extensively and acknowledged as a bug.

Stephen

• ChiliPalmer
    ChiliPalmer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - I searched, but I didn't turn that one up. Glad to hear I'm not alone!

• ChiliPalmer
    ChiliPalmer
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here. Also eager for a fix. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, that's a known issue, and one we'll be addressing in an update. Sorry for the trouble there. This drives me nuts too.

• bookrats
    bookrats
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for working on a fix for this -- I'm encountering the problem, too.

I have some fairly large Notes fields, where I copy and paste information from in 1Pv6. Since upgrading to iPv7, the inability to do this has been a minor headache.

PS There is a partial, temporary workaround: right-clicking on a single word will select the word, and allow you to copy it from the right-click menu. But since I usually copy more than 1 word, it's not much of a help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's better than nothing, but you're right: it only works for a single word. Thanks for your patience while we work on a fix.

• fraleypaul
    fraleypaul
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Version I am using: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.7 (70007000) AgileBits Store MacOS 10.13.6

I am +1 on the ability to select text in 'notes' field 1password 'Login' entry by either :

• double clicking
    • click'n'drag
    • extend a selection by using shift and arrow keys
    • etc (the standard ways text in text fields is selected, like with 1Password6 and this web form that I am filling out right now)

I'm good with an 'Edit' button to keep me from making unintended edits.
    Having to click 'Edit' before a copy is dangerous and a nuisance for what should be read only operation.

FWIW:

• I do NOT care about markdown and fancy editing in any notes field of 1Password whether it be 'notes' field of a 'Login' entry or a secure note.
    • Right click and 'Copy' is something I will use when it is 1 word, but often it is not.

I want plain text field behavior like you had in 1Password6.
    Can you please provide an option to provide this behavior?
    I'm fine with it not being the default.

Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fraleypaul - thanks for weighing in. The trouble here is that macOS treats webviews differently than it does plaintext, and we had to use webview to render Markdown (which is one of the most-requested features of all time, frankly). We're looking into the best way to potentially offer both (or either, selectably) options to folks in a way that works cross-platform and reliably, but I've nothing to announce right now. However, I'll pass along your feedback to the dev team. Thanks! :)

• fraleypaul
    fraleypaul
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars wrote:

We're looking into the best way to potentially offer
    both (or either, selectably) options to folks in a way
    that works cross-platform and reliably,

That would be great

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fraleypaul - please don't mistake my words there for holy writ -- this is very much something we'd like to iterate on, but there are more considerations to it than probably appear at first glance, and it's still definitely in flux. I would love to see Markdown become a selectable feature, but as always, it's a question of many factors: how many would want this, how difficult would it be to do correctly, as well as a multitude of other factors. Thanks for adding your voice, however! :)

• fraleypaul
    fraleypaul
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for posting back. Sorry for the inquisition.

@Lars wrote:

...macOS treats webviews differently than it does plaintext,
    and we had to use webview to render Markdown...
    ... would love to see Markdown become a selectable feature...

Does macOS itself not allow selections in webviews?
    -or-
    Does macOS allow selections in webviews and 1pass is
    turning off selections when not in Edit mode?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fraleypaul -- No worries - hey, nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. ;)

And actually, I have to admit a mistake here. The first iteration of our Markdown support was indeed a webview (which would've made my previous post correct), but in recent updates, it was switched back to being a textview, and apparently I missed a memo. 😕 My apologies. However, that definitely underscores what I wrote about "still in flux" and "would like to iterate." Thanks for sharing your wishes and use-case for Notes fields with regard to Markdown and text selectability/copyability, and thanks for your patience. Keep an eye on release notes in our updates, and feel free to ask any questions or drop by and poke us again. :)

• tastyroadkill
    tastyroadkill
    Community Member
    Options

I noticed I am unable to copy a snippet of text from the notes field. The only option is to select the 'copy' button to copy the entire contents. I have some entries that multiple account numbers and other bits of information that I may only need a piece at a time.

Is there a way to set up my notes so that I can copy snippets instead of the entire contents of a notes field, without having to create multiple notes field with each piece of information? If not, can I put in a feature request for the team to consider it?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided

• Ben
    Options

Hi @tastyroadkill

The fact that you can’t currently is an unintended side-effect of the markdown feature. We’d like to make it so portions of notes can be selected again... just have to find the right time to do so. Fingers crossed for soon.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.