1Password7 doesn't see my iPassword6 iCloud Vault

fmorgan
fmorgan
Community Member

I have (6.8.9 (689000) Mac App Store) installed - macOS 10.13.4

I do use both an iCloud vault (personal use) and a team membership (work).

Downloaded 1P7 from the App Store and it sees my team membership and uses it, no issues, but not the personal one.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:1password7 Mac icloud

Comments

• @fmorgan,

You've turned on "allow vaults outside of 1Password.com accounts" on the advanced tab of preferences and then pointed the primary vault at iCloud?

Rudy

• fmorgan
    fmorgan
    Community Member

That worked, thanks!
    The text and the whole nature of this option is slightly confusing, I think. As you have to check it and then change the primary vault.

I would expect at least the migration/first time experience dialog to show it or to have marked on by default.

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member

I agree with @fmorgan. This shouldn't be hidden away under advanced and in set-up should ask the user if they have vaults stored outside of a 1Password.com account.

• Thanks for the feedback folks! :+1:

• tommyhothead
    tommyhothead
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

As someone that does business with both the state and federal governments, I want to assure you that upgrading to your version 7 is more difficult.

I bought my license for 1Password back in the day, from the app store. I synch to iCloud.
    Now I have upgraded(?) to version 7 on OSX version 10.13.6
    No, the new version 7 did not recognize my account and where it syncs to in the cloud. It won't see it and I cannot import it.
    So 1Password running on my IOS version 11.4 on an iPhone7 is now synching to iCloud, and the one on OSX is in a welcome aboard package that makes me want to scream.

Upgrading software is not something that ought to take the better part of a person's day, with thousands of self-help topics to browse through. Cheerful thank-you's, upbeat attitudes and dozens of pages of "it's so easy" guides do little to mask a rollout that is clearly a fiasco. I almost feel sorry for you folks. Except wait, I am the one that won't get the 4 hours of his day back and you are the ones with my money.

Is there a way to get my "upgrade" to import my 512 passwords locked in a vault in the cloud?

Now that I rely on your software it would be very handy.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @tommyhothead! I'm sorry for the troubles you had upgrading to 1Password 7 for Mac. We encourage people who are having difficulties to get in touch with us as quickly as possible to avoid just such a frustrating, lengthy experience like the one you had. We're here to help. :)

In terms of upgrading, to be fair, if you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store "back in the day," you've been getting automatic updates since then that don't require anything beyond hitting the "update" button in the Mac App Store. It doesn't get much easier than that, so yes, the transition to 1Password 7 for Mac will be more of a process than previous updates. You also don't have a traditional license, as 1Password from the Mac App Store is tied to your Apple ID, like all purchases from the Mac App Store.

That's also why our CEO Jeff Shiner mentioned in this blog post that doing paid upgrades in the Mac App Store is problematic for both us and users. That's one of the reasons why this (1Password 7) is the first one since late 2011.

No, the new version 7 did not recognize my account and where it syncs to in the cloud. It won't see it and I cannot import it.

As Jeff's post also mentions, the Mac App Store version no longer supports standalone purchases. If you'd like to continue with your iCloud vault instead of a 1password.com membership, more power to you! However, you'll want to delete the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 and install the version from our downloads page Here's how:

1. In your current version of 1Password 7 for Mac (the Mac App Store version), click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data.
    2. Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu).
    3. Delete the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 for Mac. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to your Mac's Trash.
    4. Visit our downloads page and grab a copy of the latest version's installer and run it.
    5. After installation, 1Password will launch itself. You'll see one of the following two screens:
      Screen #1:

Screen #2:
    6. If you see screen #2, choose "Sync using iCloud." Select your iCloud data, enter your Master Password and click the Read Only button to bring up Screen #1 and purchase a license.
    7. If you see Screen #1, choose the "Need a license? We have those, too" link (under the big green button). This will allow you to purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac, and at the second, confirmation screen, choose "Buy License."
    8. You'll see the familiar 1Password lock screen; enter your Master Password to unlock your data.
    9. You'll see a window to our FastSpring store open in the background, to purchase the license. Enter your details and the license will be sent to you via email.
    10. Visit Preferences > Sync to re-enable syncing via iCloud if it is not already enabled.
    11. The 1Password 7 for Mac setup flow should have also made a zip-file of your previous 1Password application, which will be in your Applications folder. You can safely delete it if you like.

That should take care of it, but let me know if you run into any further difficulties.

• tommyhothead
    tommyhothead
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Each step of the way in this upgrade, your customers are probably scared that they are going to somehow lose their data. I know I was. Some sort of assurance that this was not going to happen would have lowered my stress level considerably.

The solution was in @Rudy 's post and I am still uncertain how it works going forward. I needed to go into preferences>advanced>Allow the creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts. I checked that and it allowed me to point at my vault on iCloud.

Not exactly intuitive, folks. @Lars, I was stuck in the loop you describe for hours wondering what I was doing wrong and afraid that if I did the wrong thing I would overwrite my data. The answer was that I was doing nothing wrong. It didn't work until I checked that little box in an arcane corner of the settings.

All I need to know is:
    1) I can trust you
    2) Where am I synching
    3) I will not lose my data
    4) I can rely on the software

Your customer doesn't understand or care about the differences in where to buy your software. I hope you understand that. I first bought 1Password from the app store on my phone because that's where I learned about it and that was where it was available. When I bought it for my computer and my wife's computer and phone, I bought it because that is where it was available. The discussions about where I bought it, whether or not I had or have an account, why the app store version is different, my secret key and my license all being different because of where I bought it just confuse me and give me a headache. Knowledgebases have become a way for companies to control support costs, and they very quickly become towering infernos of random discussions. When a customer buys software and has to exchange pleasantries by email and peruse a knowledgebase for hours in order to get it to work, something just isn't right.

I understand your problem, but when your problem becomes my problem then you may as well issue me stock in your company.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

@tommyhothead
    I'm going to start with the actual relevant issues that may still remain here before diving into some of the more "meta" points you raise, since obviously the former is what's most important -- making sure things work correctly. But because I'm concerned some of this may still be unresolved or unclear, what I'd like to do is take this to email at the address you signed up for this forum using -- chiefly because more detailed discussion along these lines will involve details that shouldn't be on this public forum. I hope that's OK with you. I've sent you an email with the rest of my response. If you don't receive it, please check your Spam or Bulk email folder, as sometimes overzealous spam filters can mark unsolicited email from us as junk.

ref: JUF-36966-894

This discussion has been closed.