Keeping two iOS devices in sync w/o an account, iCloud, or Dropbox

Options
Radoc
Radoc
Community Member

I've been keeping my iPhone X running iOS 11.4 and 1PW 7.0.6 in sync with my iMac running 1PW 7 beta using Wi-Fi. I recently acquired an iPad Pro for work. When I restored it from my iPhone backup, 1PW and its database transferred. My question is how to keep both iOS devices in sync with the Mac. 1PW seems to balk at Wi-Fi syncing more than one device, and there's no equivalent to folder sync in iOS. (I can't use a 1PW account, iCloud, or Dropbox because of workplace restrictions.) Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.0.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11.4
Sync Type: Wi-Fi

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Radoc,

You can sync multiple iOS devices with one Mac using WLAN sync. Could you please elaborate on the trouble you’re running into with that?

Ben

• Radoc
    Radoc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben,

When I tried to sync the other device, the sync process didn't end. I waited 15 minutes, which is well beyond any previous sync to my iPhone. Is there any way to reset the sync database and start fresh on both iOS devices? Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

@Radoc,

Uninstalling and reinstalling the iOS app would remove all 1Password data from the devices, and you could then sync fresh from the Mac.

Ben

• Radoc
    Radoc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben,

I did exactly that: I deleted 1PW from the iOS device. When I launched 1PW, it asked if I wanted to Wi-Fi sync with an existing database, which I did after entering the vault password. That sync didn't complete as above. The other option was to create a new DB on the device and sync later, but I doubt if that would get a different result. Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

Hmm. Interesting. I would actually suggest creating a local vault on iOS and then attempt the WLAN sync. It is actually possible that'll lead to a different result.

Ben

• Radoc
    Radoc
    Community Member
    Options

I'll try that when I get home tonight and let you know!

• Ben
    Options

:+1:

Ben

• Radoc
    Radoc
    Community Member
    Options

Well, that didn't work. I deleted 1PW and its data from my iPhone then created a new database, which was empty. Next, I performed a WLAN sync with my iMac. As before, the items all transferred quickly (the counts were all correct), but the sync process didn't finish. I waited more than 20 minutes. Is there something I can do on the Mac side? Should I uninstall and reinstall 1PW there? Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Radoc: It sounds like something is preventing the sync from completing. Definitely follow the steps in this guide, as they'll help narrow down the cause, if not resolve it:

If you’re having trouble using the WLAN server

Let me know what you find!

• Radoc
    Radoc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben,

I'll give those steps a try, but I'm not optimistic, as the exchange of data is occurring. The advanced setting that permits user erasure of 1PW data refers to "synced data in WLAN" remaining intact. Does that mean that there's a separate sync database somewhere and, if so, can it be reset? If the WLAN server actions don't help, I'm going to delete 1PW from the iMac and reinstall it. I'll keep you posted.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018
    Options

@Radoc: Don't bother deleting 1Password for Mac. The problem isn't the app, otherwise it wouldn't sync at all. The connection is stalling. 1Password has an internal database, but again, clearing that isn't going to impact network communications.

• Radoc
    Radoc
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben: Well, let me see how the troubleshooting goes tonight. I'll let you know. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good. Looking forward to hearing back from you. :)

• Ben
    Options

I’d suggest paying particular attention to the ad hoc network troubleshooting step, as that’ll rule your network environment in/out as the difficulty.

Ben

• Radoc
    Radoc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben,

The WLAN server troubleshooting steps (including using an ad hoc network) didn't work. But I reinstalled 1PW on my iMac and everything is functioning properly again. I've verified that I can keep my iPhone and iPad in sync with 1PW on my computer. Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update. Strange that reinstalling 1Password for Mac had any effect, but I guess we'll just need to call a win a win here. Glad to hear you were able to get up and running. :+1:

Ben

• Radoc
    Radoc
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I'm still curious about the message that says that "synced WLAN data" will remain after you erase the database on an iOS device. That suggests that there's data related to WLAN syncing that persists on the computer that's running the sync. If that's the case, maybe reinstalling on the iMac cleared that. Anyway, I'm glad that it's working again.

• Ben
    Options

Indeed. :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.