Issues signing in to GoDaddy [known issue with some ReactJS sites]

jimmacmillan
jimmacmillan
Community Member
edited January 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

This is the URL I use: https://sso.godaddy.com/?regionsite=www&realm=idp&path=/&app=mya&marketid=en-US

The Sign In Screen appears and I briefly see the Username or Customer # field populate than the field contents disappear. Then the Password field populates but I don't know what's in it because it's hidden.

I also tried in a New Private Window with the same result. When I right click on the first field and choose 1P from from the dialog window the same thing happens.

1Password Version: 6.8.488
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: Windows 7 Pro
Sync Type: 1P

Comments

• 1kennethfeldman
    1kennethfeldman
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

Same here -- same with Chrome, FF, and Safari -- all up to date, with latest 1P.

I think GD has some type of new JS that's thwarting the 1P extension.

Ooops. All Mac here -- but intersting that it's that same on Mac and PC. Must be something GD is doing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@1kennethfeldman, @jimmacmillan: Wow. That's awful! :lol:

Sorry, I wasn't prepared for that. Indeed, they're clearing the credentials after 1Password fills them. It appears to happen in any browser. I'm not sure if there's anything we can do about that, but we'll look into it. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

ref: opxi-49

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member

Yes, it's a problem with GoDaddy.

KeePass works like a charm here because it emulates key presses to auto-type the credentials. You press Ctrl + V on the relevant password entry and it 'types' it into the field; by doing this it tricks the website into believing there's human input.

The method 1Password use is less sophisticated and problematic. Many websites don't allow password managers and ban the autofill method that 1Password use by using JavaScript tricks, unusual field names, multiple entries etc.

It's probably time for 1Password to think about introducing an auto-type option like KeePass as it'd help users get around the stupidly arbitrary restrictions imposed by web developers. It'd allow manual override by a user with simple commands such as
    {USERNAME}{TAB}{TAB}Some fixed string{TAB}{PASSWORD}{ENTER}.

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member

Here's how KeePass does it.

I've made a fake username and password so it won't actually login but if it were a real login, it would work perfectly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@darrenNZ: Ah, yep. That's what we're seeing as well. Unfortunately we haven't yet found a good way to do something similar on macOS, and the new Windows app does not yet have Auto-Type. It's definitely something we'd like in both though, for a number of cases including this one. But we're going to see if there's some other trick we can use in this case. ;)

• jimmacmillan
    jimmacmillan
    Community Member

Is there any fix coming on this? I love 1P but I'm in and out of different GoDaddy accounts multiple times a day and need a solution.

• austinginder
    austinginder
    Community Member

I've been looking over the the technical problems with the new GoDaddy logins as I've run into similar issues using JS to preload input fields on other websites. The problem is due to the fact that JS can't manipulate React rendered forms. I've found a workaround using the React Developer Tools for Chrome DevTools however that requires the user to manually select the React component first before updating state values. Even if it's scriptable, it's not very cross platform friendly.

I think it should be technically possible. There are some hacky workarounds posted here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29321742/react-getting-a-component-from-a-dom-element-for-debugging.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Is there any fix coming on this? I love 1P but I'm in and out of different GoDaddy accounts multiple times a day and need a solution.

@jimmacmillan: It's something we're looking into, but we can't spend all of our time on working around issues on a single website, as we also need to work to improve 1Password overall for everyone's benefit. Thanks for letting us know this is important to you. :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@austinginder: Thank you! Perhaps there are some ideas there that we can use. :chuffed:

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member

@jimmacmillan

You could always save the password using your browser's in-built password manager or use something like KeePass just for your GoDaddy credentials.

It's far from perfect but this is a situation of GoDaddy's creation and you need to complain to them.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

What's interesting about this is that it's likely something with how the React components are responding to our events. Consider, for instance, that https://start.1Password.com is built with React but you can fill without this same behavior. So, the issue isn't inherent to React, but something more subtle.

In order to trigger validations that many sites require, we fire some synthetic events before we set the value of a field and after we set the value. It seems as though however the React components are coded to respond to user interaction is not getting along with how we handle this.

I've asked one of our team to take a look into this to either confirm or disprove that hypothesis or at least give us a more interesting question to ask. :blush:

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• jimmacmillan
    jimmacmillan
    Community Member

Thank you all for your feedback. I didn't know that it was a GoDaddy issue when I first reported it darrenNZ. Brenty, of course I don't expect this to be your (or 1P's) issue since it's a single site problem. I was simply making an inquiry so that I know how to move forward is all. In the future I'll try not to ask questions in a way that doesn't make them look like my issue should take precedent above all others.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

No worries, @jimmacmillan. It's an interesting problem, and GoDaddy is indeed a popular site, so it's worth some investigation. Brokenness on a popular site is indeed something we need to look at, but it's not quite the crisis level of, say, 1Password not being compatible with any site built with React. :dizzy: Thanks for your feedback and patience!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• interface
    interface
    Community Member

FYI It's a daily annoying deal for me too. I have a ton of Godaddy PWs : )

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry about that. I know the team is looking for a workaround, and I actually brought this up earlier today as I know this annoying issue is affecting several 1Password users. Hopefully we'll be able to find a solution. :blush:

• foxtrotgolf
    foxtrotgolf
    Community Member

Well, shoot. I've been having this issue too, for I have several GoDaddy logins.
    Until this gets fixed, I have two workarounds:

• Use Chrome's password manager for the GoDaddy site only.
    • Log into all of your satellite GoDaddy accounts, and grant your main Godaddy account access. Just visit Account Settings > Delegate Access > Grant Access. That way, you'll log into your main GoDaddy account, and access your other accounts while staying logged in.
  • Thanks for sharing, @foxtrotgolf! I'm sure other's will find these suggestions helpful as we continue to work toward improving how 1Password interacts with GoDaddy.

• TristanTrx
    TristanTrx
    Community Member

Hey guys.

Here’s another suggestion as a work around.

You can set godaddy to login using your social accounts from;

Account settings
    Login and pin
    Select enable Facebook login.

This would mean that you use your Facebooks login page with your current godaddy account.

Then at the signin page select continue with Facebook.

I’ve tested and it works perfectly.

Enjoy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Personally I wouldn't use those workarounds since having my domain registrar account compromised would be very bad for me (there are known vulnerabilities for browser autofill, and tying things to SNS services is risky), but those may work for others who have a different threat model. Cheers! :)

• flight2k
    flight2k
    Community Member

Add me to the list that would like to see this work natively. I am cut/pasting my UN and PW into the form. I also have to do this several times a day.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know! Hopefully we'll be able to find a way to work around their scripts.

• rkasselman
    rkasselman
    Community Member

Just ran into this wonkiness myself. Agreed it is very frustrating and I would like to get notification of any update on this particular issue if there is one available.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Please believe me, it's frustrating for us too. We have been trying to find a way to better work here but so far we've not enjoyed any success. I look forward to hopefully finding a way that allows us to work better with the active code on their site that is resetting the fields after we try to fill.

• gbarton985
    gbarton985
    Community Member

Great thread, very frustrating for me as well. How about a bribe to GoDaddy to cut it out? Very frustrating. Manual typing of usernames & passwords is so 1990's.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gbarton985 -- I don't want to cast aspersions on any particular site or company, but I will say that we are sometimes...puzzled...by the decision taken by certain websites under the auspices of improving security. There is a significant number of things sites can do which does in fact measurably increase user's security and/or privacy, and then there are others which we tend to refer to as "security theater" -- offering what appears to the casual glance to be security-related, but for which the main effect in practice is to simply provide the appearance of security, while simultaneously making the site much more user-unfriendly (not to mention password-manager-unfriendly).

• 1kennethfeldman
    1kennethfeldman
    Community Member

Looks like it's fixed -- at least for Chrome on Mac. Didn't try the other browsers yet but have to assume it's fixed across the board. Okay, back to work!

• Thanks for the update, @1kennethfeldman. After testing with multiple platforms and browsers, it does look like GoDaddy is accepting the details filled by the 1Password extension. This means that you shouldn't have any trouble signing into GoDaddy with 1Password. If you do run into an issue, though, be sure to let us know. :)

• skeltonm
    skeltonm
    Community Member

Using 7.1.BETA-0 for Mac, 1Password will not fill Godaddy login page.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @skeltonm,

This should get resolved in a future 7.1 beta. Sorry for the disruption until the fix is merged.

This discussion has been closed.