Protection against loss of 1Password service

The security and backup mechanisms within 1Password for Business reassure me that we will be protected while using the service. However, there is a small but finite chance that the 1Password for Business service itself will become unavailable, for example if AgileBits were to become insolvent. Consequently, we may need to have a "backup of last resort" of our vaults in case of that (remote) eventuality. I can see some difficulties - we do not want the vaults to be saved elsewhere as plain text, but also cannot use encryption that only 1Password can decode. We may have many vaults (using the one-per-customer) approach...

What is your recommendation for dealing with the risk that 1Password might one day disappear?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018

Hi @richardhull,

Every device that has one of the native 1Password apps installed has a local cache of the data the logged in user has access to. You can see what would happen if we were to cease to exist by disconnecting from the internet (and thus disconnect from us).

Also — the encryption we use isn’t proprietary. 3rd party tools have been written to decrypt 1Password data and are available today. Of course the 1Password software itself can also export your data to an unencrypted format. Even if we were to disappear somehow the 1Password software wouldn’t just stop working simultaniously. Eventually OS updates etc would likely make it incompatible, so if a situation like this did occur you would want to start looking at another tool.

This article is fairly old at this point but the message is still relevant:

You have secrets; we don't. Why our data format is public - AgileBits Blog

Ben

• richardhull
    richardhull
    Community Member

Thanks Ben, I can begin to see a way forward there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good. On behalf of Ben, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.