master password not working. TouchID not showing

Options
yukito_o
yukito_o
Community Member

I'm in iOS with the latest 1Password version. I use stand alone vault and have backups in Dropbox and iCloud. I usually use touchID to login. But I accidentally pressed the lock and touchID option has disappeared. I'm unable to use the master password that I believed was the correct one.

Tried restore from backup but still no sign of TouchId, and master password keeps getting rejected. Restarted iPhone, same symptom.

I've tried everything here: https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/ no luck.

How can I get the Touch ID show again ?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @yukito_o

How can I get the Touch ID show again ?

The only way to re-enable Touch ID is to enter the correct Master Password. When you use the "Lock Now" option in 1Password that removes your ability to use Touch ID until the Master Password is entered. From our guide on Touch ID security on iOS:

At any time, you can manually lock 1Password to ensure that your Master Password will be required instead of your fingerprint. In 1Password, tap Settings > Security > Lock Now.

Doing so removes the secret that is required for Touch ID to unlock 1Password. The best I could suggest at this point would be to keep trying to remember what your Master Password is. There is no limit on the number of attempts you can make. Ultimately if you determine that you're going to be unable to remember it then the only recourse is to uninstall & reinstall 1Password and start over.

Ben

• yukito_o
    yukito_o
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, I didn’t intentionally use the “lock now” function. On the login screen, I simply pressed the wrong button. Instead of the fingerprint button, I pressed lock one. This small human mistake stopped me from seeing touchid again.

I think the app should tolerate such error. I wonder if this can be considered in future upgrades?

• yukito_o
    yukito_o
    Community Member
    Options

Oh and, can you pls let me know the decryption algorithm (even better, if you can point me to the code or library used), because I’m sure I had the correct master password and I would like to decrypt myself.

• Ben
    Options

I think the app should tolerate such error. I wonder if this can be considered in future upgrades?

This is an intentional design choice. We need for folks to be able to lock 1Password such that it only accepts the Master Password and not biometric authentication.

Oh and, can you pls let me know the decryption algorithm (even better, if you can point me to the code or library used), because I’m sure I had the correct master password and I would like to decrypt myself.

This guide may help:

OPVault design | 1Password

Ben

This discussion has been closed.