I can't set up 1password on my new iPhone. Can't find secret key

Options
evansrob
evansrob
Community Member

Using 1 Password. 6.8.9 on MacBook Pro (running OS 10.13.5) where it works fine. Trying to set it up on a brand new iPhone but cannot find the so-called secret key on my Mac version following the online instructions.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.13.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:set up 1Password on my new iphone

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @evansrob

You'll only have a Secret Key if you have a 1Password membership (subscription). Do you? You mentioned in your post that you're syncing your data using Dropbox, which leads me to believe you do not, as memberships use 1Password.com instead of Dropbox to store their data. If you're using Dropbox, and not a 1Password membership, you'll need to select that option instead of 1Password.com from the welcome screen. You may need to scroll down in order to see it.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• evansrob
    evansrob
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply Ben. I honestly don't know whether I have a membership. I certainly don't remember any secret key. However, when I look at my account online I see a little box that ends with "Roles Member." (I've also never grasped why everything gets treated differently according to whether one purchased the app from you or the App Store.) In any case, I can't find a screen where I have the Dropbox option you mention. Can you give me the links? Many thanks.
    Rob

• Ben
    Options

Could you please elaborate on what you mean when you say you’re looking at your account online? Where are you seeing that? Are you able to post a screenshot?

The option to sync with Dropbox will be on the welcome screen when you first install 1Password for iOS. If you’ve already selected a different option then reinstalling 1Password for iOS would get you back there. You may need to scroll down on the welcome screen in order to see it. It is below the option for iCloud:

Ben

• evansrob
    evansrob
    Community Member
    Options

I figured it out, Ben. I won't bore you with the details of my errors. I'm set now. Thanks for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Ben, you're most welcome! Glad he was able to point you in the right direction. It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.