Dock/dropdown and attach the non-1Password X Desktop Chrome Extension

Options

Hello Team,

Please make the non-1Password X desktop chrome extension non-floating and locked to the chrome menu bar like it used to be. The same way that the 1Password X chrome extension is locked to the menu bar. it is very annoying that it is not locked like a dropdown the way it used to be.

It would also be more user friendly if you make the extension more compact like it used to be if possible.

Thank-you very much, Please post your thoughts below.

Shawn

1Password Version: 7.07
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Shawzborne,

The 1Password X extension is a standalone one and as such has to provide the entire UI (User Interface). It's all written in JavaScript and makes use of the various extension APIs, one of which I believe includes the attached windows. The standard extension has no UI of its own, never has and the UI is all provided by the native 1Password application. In earlier versions of 1Password, with the more contextual menu feel one of the options was to have the menu display where the cursor was. With 1Password 7 we're going for more of a Spotlight feel and so it defaults to the middle of the screen like Spotlight does. The menu is still draggable though (resizable to a certain extent as well) so you can move it if you wish. There is a small area just above the search field, locatable by noticing when the cursor changes from the I for the text field back to the normal arrow. That way you can move it to somewhere more to your liking.

I'm sure the new menu will be tweaked as we learn more about where it works and where it doesn't but I don't see us returning to the old style menu. A common complaint we had in the past was poor use of screen space and so we wanted to address that and continue to try and make 1Password fit with how macOS looks.

• Shawzborne
    Shawzborne
    Community Member
    Options

You can keep it the same just please add an option to lock it to the bar thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We don't currently have plans to do that, since the app doesn't live in any bar, tool or otherwise: it runs in the OS, like any other app. But we'll continue to evaluate your feedback along with everyone else's as we develop future versions. Thanks! :)

• Shawzborne
    Shawzborne
    Community Member
    Options

Thank-you

• Shawzborne
    Shawzborne
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables I'm not asking for you to return to the ways of old, just to have it drop down like the 1Password X extension does. You can still make it resizable etc, maybe even add an undocking or docking option.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1Password X has a dropdown menu from the toolbar icon because it runs entirely in the browser; there is nowhere else it can be used, and nowhere else for it to go. 1Password mini, on the other hand, while it can be invoked using the button, is part of the native 1Password app and runs at the system level. That's why it's separate. I'm sorry for any confusion that's caused though.

This discussion has been closed.